Status: Complete.

Brave This Storm

Puppy Love Gazes.

Over the next two weeks, Mariana and Paul went on five more dates. One day he took her out to a picnic on the clifftop, where they looked out upon the ocean that Mariana had never seen before she’d moved to La Push. He’d made sandwiches for the both of them, as well as buying juice, fruit, cubes of cheese and baking a chocolate cake with his mom (something which his friends had teased his relentlessly about). But Mariana had appreciated the effort he went to, especially since she knew he didn’t normally do that kind of thing for girls. Mariana knew he was making the effort to be different for her, and she couldn’t deny it made butterflies churn in her stomach at the very thought.

Another date was when he took Mariana and Donovan out to the movies one night. Donovan was more excited that Mariana about this date, because he’d only been to the movies twice in his lifetime, and to go to a movie theatre that didn’t have the chance of rogue razorblades being purposely taped to chairs made it even better. Paul even bought Donovan a super-sized bag of candy, which admittedly sent the young boy into a sugar hyperdrive, but it was the thought that counted. Mariana was a little overwhelmed by the fact that Paul had thought of Donovan so heavily. She knew now that he wasn’t lying about being serious about changing himself to include the both of them in his life, and any man that thought of her child as important was important to her.

The third date was a moonlit walk through the forest. Mariana had been a bit nervous at first, but Paul assured her that there were nothing but animals in these woods, and even if something was out there, Sam would be on call to hunt anything away. Mariana found Paul’s tone of voice strange at this reassurance, but she didn’t question it. Mariana just assumed that Paul was part of this hunting group and that he didn’t want her to think badly of him. But protection is protection, right? The walk was peaceful in the end, and the two of them spent the time talking intimately, about their hopes and dreams, and their fears. Paul never talked about his thoughts with girls, but Mariana was different to him, and he knew that she appreciate him being honest with her.

The fourth date was Paul taking Mariana out for lunch in Port Angeles. They went to a tiny family-run Mexican restaurant, where the atmosphere was loud and energetic, and Mariana couldn’t remember a meal where she’d enjoyed herself more. Paul had seemed so carefree - something which Mariana hadn’t seen to this degree on him in the three months she’d been in La Push. The food was amazing, the music was good, and their conversation just flowed. They spent the time getting to know each other on a fun level, as opposed to the serious talking on the previous date. Mariana now knew that Paul’s favourite colour is grey, he hates spinach, he’s petrified of jellyfish, and that he hadn’t read a book since he left high school. It may have been the smallest of details but it made Mariana feel like she knew him on a personal level, and Paul in return.

The fifth date was last night, and Paul had taken her out on a double date with Jared and his girlfriend Kim, the four of them going bowling in Seattle. Although Kim was two years younger than Mariana, the two of them got on well and Mariana knew she’d have to thank Paul for introducing her to a female integrated in the group. Mariana hadn’t had any women around her since she was 16, so it would make a nice change to have a girl friend to go shopping with. Mariana knew she could count on Emily to go shopping with too, even though Emily was 3 years older than Mariana, so she could only thank Paul more for giving her a chance to do something different with her down time. Besides, Kim and Mariana had beaten Paul and Jared at bowling, despite the protests that the boys hadn’t purposely let them win.

The morning after the bowling date, Paul headed over to Sam’s house where the whole pack were.

“Loverboy finally arrives!” Embry taunted.

“You just couldn’t leave the lovely Mariana’s side, could you?” Quil added.

Paul growled at them, narrowing his eyes.

“Don’t get your panties in a bunch just because you aren’t in hers,” Leah muttered.

“She’s…different,” Paul defended, clenching his fists.

He immediately regretted his words when all his friends hollered and whistled. Paul knew his past would return to bite him in the ass, and it was already starting to happen.

“So different that you’ve finally asked a girl to be yours officially?” Seth smirked.

“Well…uh…”

Paul trailed off, blushing slightly at their laughter. Only Jacob wasn’t laughing – he just looked pissed off.

“You’d better ask her to be your girlfriend, Paul. She’s better than just being messed around,” Jacob warned.

“Of course he’s going to ask her out – you should’ve seen the puppy love gazes last night,” Jared grinned, wriggling his eyebrows.

“I would pay to see you look so love sick,” Embry snickered.

Paul clenched his fists even harder as he fought to control his temper. He knew the day would come that his friends would tease him about having feelings for a girl, but he didn’t know it would be this hard to take.

“Alright, enough. Leave Paul alone,” Sam interrupted, walking into the room.

Paul muttered his thanks, leaning against the wall next to Jacob.

“I mean it when I said you’d better ask her to be yours. I know she likes you, but how long will it be before another guy comes along who’s not got a past as fucked up as yours? Don’t give time any chance to take her away from you,” Jacob murmured.

“Why are you giving me advice? I thought you hated the idea of Mariana and I being together. I thought you liked her,” Paul frowned.

“Yeah, well, she’s happy with you. I would never stand a chance, so you’re the next best thing, right?” Jacob chuckled.

“Next best thing my ass,” Paul snorted.

But as Jacob nudged Paul in the ribs with his elbow, Paul couldn’t help but relax. One of the things that had been keeping Paul from asking Mariana to be his girlfriend was the fact that he knew Jacob liked her. Sure, Paul wanted Mariana and wasn’t going to let anyone come between them, but Jacob is his friend and there’s still the bro code to think about. But now that Paul knew Jacob had accepted it…

“Earth to Paul?”

Paul snapped out of his thoughts at the sound of Sam’s voice, making everyone laugh.

“Glad to see you aren’t thinking about Mariana,” Sam said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

Paul rolled his eyes right back, half-listening to what Sam was saying. He knew exactly what he was going to do after he left Sam’s house. He was going to make sure no-one else had the chance to make Mariana theirs.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Paul's falling harder and harder...
But does Mariana feel the same?
Find out in the next chapter!

Sorry the update took so long, but I've been working for 7 days straight from 10-6 on my feet working in a restaurant, and by the time I get home I've been so exhausted that all I have the time to do is eat dinner before I fall asleep!

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter =] you all are amazing!

tellmewatuwant2hear
choirgirlx3
Kristalynnxx
richfan19
Katherine-Kat
Black Star
Erinnnn.xo
EmmettCullen'sWife

xo