Status: Complete.

Brave This Storm

Spread The Word.

Today Mariana had gone shopping with Emily to Seattle after she’d dropped Donovan off at Pre-K. Paul had suggested that the two women should spend some time together, but to be honest Mariana had been thinking about it for a while too – she just didn’t know how to propose the idea. She hadn’t had friends that weren’t male since she was 16, so to be able to bond with a female as kind-hearted as Emily would be a change. A nice change, but a change nonetheless.

And the day had been a success. Seeing as Sam had volunteered to drive them (because neither Emily or Mariana had a car), they were able to get to Seattle quicker than if they’d caught the bus, and had therefore had a whole 4 hours of shopping before Sam had picked them up. Mariana had found herself really warming up to the Reservation girl, and hoped that they’re have more chance for trips like this in the future.

Now Sam and Emily were driving Mariana back to her Grandma’s.

“Would you like to come in for a drink?” Mariana asked, hoping the couple would say yes so Emily would have the chance to dish out more gossip about Paul. What? It was fun learning about her boyfriend’s past, even if some of it wasn’t all that nice to learn about.

“Yeah, I’d like that,” Emily smiled, looking up at Sam.

Sam smiled back and nodded, giving Mariana the go-ahead to walk into the house.

“I’M BACK!” Mariana called, not knowing if her Grandma was home.

“In the living room!” Amelia called back.

Mariana smiled, nodding even though her Grandma couldn’t see her. Sam and Emily followed her into the kitchen.

“What would you like?” Mariana asked.

“Tea would be great,” Emily smiled.

“A can of anything, thanks,” Sam said.

Mariana set to making two cups of tea and grabbed a can of Dr Pepper from the fridge for Sam. Once sorted the three of them headed into the living room to see Amelia. Mariana’s Grandma was sitting on the sofa with a small stack of papers on her lap, a frown on her lips. Amelia rarely ever frowned.

“What’s wrong?” Mariana frowned, placing her cup of tea on the table.

“Nothing really, I’m just trying to sort out this paperwork before I go to my accountant in Port Angeles. I swear every time I see them I get more confused about what money I’m putting where,” Amelia sighed, Sam and Emily agreeing.

“Amy, pass them over,” Mariana frowned.

Amelia raised an eyebrow but did so, sitting silently while her granddaughter scanned over the documents, becoming even more confused when Mariana scoffed.

“How long have you been using this accountant?” Mariana asked with disgust.

“Nearly all my life, why?” Amelia asked, confused

“Because he or she sucks at their job. This tax is incorrect,” Mariana pointed, “And these two accounts can be merged to get a better interest build up,” Mariana pointed, “And if you change this account from a current account to a Individual Savings Account, because this account isn’t used apart from to store the money apparently, then you’ll get a better rate,” Mariana pointed, “Or you could just create two accounts, one for savings and keep it frozen so it can’t be touched at all for a certain number of years, and one for every day spending, so only this can be taxed rather than the entire amount,”

Amelia’s jaw dropped, as did Emily’s and Sam’s.

“What?” Mariana asked.

“How the hell do you understand all of that accounting and finance stuff?” Emily asked.

“I took a few courses in night school after I got my GED. I’m fully qualified to be an accountant, to pay my respects to Jeremy, my family accountant who helped me start a safe life for Donovan. I’ve just never put the skills to good use apart from to do mine and Juan’s taxes,” Mariana shrugged.

“That’s incredible,” Sam chuckled.

“I still don’t understand the shock,” Mariana frowned.

“No-one on the Res knows how to do accounts. We all have to go to Seattle or Port Angeles, and even then the accountants are overpriced – I even think they put our money into highly-taxed accounts just because we’re from this Reservation,” Amelia explained.

Mariana let the words roll about in her mind. Did the people of La Push really not know how to do their accounts? Were they really cheated so harshly just because of who they were? She felt a wave of anger pass over her, and she immediately that she would do anything she could to help.

“If you want, I can look over your accounts too,” Mariana told Emily and Sam.

“Really? You wouldn’t mind?” Emily asked with a smile.

“And we’ll pay you for it too – Lord knows we need someone we can trust on the Reservation with our money,” Sam smiled.

“Oh no, I couldn’t charge friends,” Mariana replied, shaking her head.

“I insist, especially since by the time this news spreads around the Res, you’ll have people queuing up for you to sort out their finance,” Sam smiled.

“Really? You think people would really want my help?” Mariana asked shyly.

“Yeah, I really think they would,” Amelia said proudly.

Mariana blushed, ducking her head and making the others laugh. To be able to help people would be amazing. Especially since she didn’t help anyone back in the attack in LA.

“Then spread the word – The Reservation has a new accountant,” Mariana said with a grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a filler really, but it sets up a little bit more of a reason for Mariana to stay on the Reservation, doesn't it?
Mariana has a few doubts in the next updates...

Okay, I had a question about where this story was situated in the twilight series, so I figured I'd answer it here so everyone could see =] In chapter 4 I mentioned all the Pack’s ages – so seeing as I put Jacob at age 20, that would make this story roughly two years after Breaking Dawn. The Cullens will never be involved so it doesn’t matter too much I don’t think. But yeah, it’s roughly 2 years after Breaking Dawn ‘occurred’, if any of you (like KaulanaRose) are curious.

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Please keep it up - I love reading your feedback =]

Erinnnn.xo
KayPx3
Katherine-Kat
KaulanaRose
Atrocity's Mask
Kristalynnxx
aphrodite ; (haha dance all you like!)
richfan19
emmettcullen'swife

xo