Save You

If Only I Could Find The Answer

She walked down the sidewalk to her friend’s home. They’d lived two blocks from each other since Beth, the younger girl, had turned seven. She listened as her too-long shoelaces hit the concrete; it was dark out and there weren’t many street lights.

Beth stopped dead in her tracks when she saw a short man, no taller than 5’7”, a few yards in front of her. She knew him; it was her father that she despised. The man in his forties had never understood how his own flesh and blood could hate him; but maybe if he hadn’t lied and ran around with sluts and just disappeared all together, the eighteen year old girl wouldn’t have detested him.

Before Beth could cross the road, she felt a pair of hands around her neck, cutting off her air supply. Everything went black.

*

Ryan watched as Brendon brought the girl back. The younger boy had spent ten minutes performing CPR. “Please, Bren,” Ryan had begged. “She’s too pretty to just let her die.” Brendon had felt slightly jealous, but he complied.

The dark-haired girl coughed as Brendon was about to give up and Ryan watched her carefully. She started crying and Brendon held her. “Shh,” Brendon cooed. “It’s okay. You’re safe.” She grasped Brendon’s shirt and he picked her up.

“We can’t leave her, Brendon,” Ryan insisted. Brendon nodded and they started walking back to their hotel, the girl being carried by Brendon.

*

Beth didn’t let Brendon leave her side that night, terrified that her father knew and would come back to finish her off. She cried into Brendon’s shirt, staining it with tears. Brendon rocked her gently, telling her that everything was fine.

She never really noticed the tall, lanky boy on the other bed of the hotel room, but she knew he was there.

*

It had been months since Ryan and Brendon had found Beth lying lifeless on the sidewalk. Weeks since Ryan had fallen for the pale girl that he knew almost nothing about. But she was oblivious and would only speak to Brendon.

Brendon was jealous of how fond Ryan was of Beth. It used to be just the two of them traveling with their band.

It was a rainy day in New York City, but Ryan put on his best show, hoping that for once, Beth would notice him.

*

Thunder crackled loudly as Beth sat outside; her clothes were drenched in rain and Brendon would make her change her clothes once they got on the bus so that she wouldn’t get sick. She didn’t care though; she just wanted it all to be over. She closed her eyes and cursed under her breath.

She felt a warm hand on her shoulder. She gasped as her eyes fluttered open. She looked around the unfamiliar hotel room, smiling when she realized it was just Ryan, her boyfriend. It had all been a dream.