Status: Gettin' there

Hey There, Delilah

I Need You So Much Closer

Matt ran his hands down my arms and smiled into the kiss when he felt the goosebumps raise on my skin.

"Delilah, I'm home!" My mother called upstairs and I sighed, sliding out from under Matt and off the bed.

"Hey!" He whined, "Get back here."

I laugh and ran a comb through my hair, "Matt, c'mon, my mom's home. I can't."

I hear him get up and feel his arms wrap around my waist anyway, his chin resting in my shoulder. "I wish we could get outta this place..."

"You and me both."

"Then let's go. On a date. A real one." He whispers, lips dancing across my neck. "Let's just go."

I want to, so much. But we both know we can't. Not when we live in a small town and if anyone sees us together...

Matt frowns in the mirror we're standing in front of. "Oh man, I know that face. You don't think it's a good idea."

I shrug slowly and rest my hands over his, "You know that if someone we know sees us together they'll get suspicious, Matt."

"Then let's go to the city."

"The city? As in drive an hour and half into New York City and go on a date?" I ask incredulously, attempting to wrap my mind around this simple idea.

"That's what I was thinking, yeah," he whispers, a smile growing across this features. "Please, Del?"

"You know I can't say no when you give me that face," I groan, turning around in his arms and smiling up at him."

Matt laughs and picks me up around the waist, "Thank you. I can't wait."

*

The week dragged on -- classes being as tedious as ever with vacation just around the corner and Matt and I's day coming just as quickly.

Teacher's lectures seemed to melt into one and I fought with myself in order to find the relevance of it all. Sometimes it seemed the break would never come, and it was in those moments I thought about Meghan, laughing at some lame joke Matt had just told but having him glance at me out of the corner of his eye.

It was moments like that when I was truly torn between complete bliss and overwhelming guilt. It was then when I felt like I was out of myself, watching some girl steal her best friend's boyfriend. And it was then I couldn't decide how to feel, how to act.

I was caught in the middle.

The bell rang Friday afternoon, signaling our freedom (finally) and I practically danced toward my locker, spinning the combination with a lot more enthusiasm than needed.

"Someone's happy," a voice says behind me and I see Matt gleaming with Meghan at his side.

"I have a right to be," I protest, "That stupid paper we had to do is finished, it's vacation, and tomorrow --."

Matt gives me a death glare and I quickly cover up with, "I'm planning on relaxing all day long."

Meghan laughs, "Because you don't do that normally on the weekends?"

I roll my eyes but smile at her, having grown immune to their constant interlocked fingers. "C'mon, you know I don't."

"You need to give yourself a break every once and again, Del. We're seniors nothing will hurt your GPA that much so you don't get into Brown."

Laughing, I toss all my textbooks into the small locker and slam the door shut, "I know, but still."

"You're, uh, planning on going to Rhode Island for college?" Matt asks, giving me a pointed look, as if asking if I'm planning on leaving him at the end of the year.

"Well, it's a choice," I respond carefully, "Nothing is written in stone."

I wonder if he caught the double-meaning in my words.

*

My parents were out for the night on Saturday, having dinner with friends, and I took the time to prepare for my -- I can't believe I'm saying this -- date with Matt.

I was dressed in a simple skirt and shirt, having changed five hundred thousand times in the process, and sat on the couch impatiently. I attempted to let myself relax back into the sofa watching Spongebob like I did every other day, but I was all jittery -- my hand tapping feverishly on my leg.

Finally when the doorbell rang, I practically rocketed off the couch and flew open the door all within the same second. I stepped back and looked at the Matt -- his dark hair messy but in the perfect place, easy going smile hanging on flawlessly on his lips, and dark button up shirt following every bump and contour of his body.

I sighed contently, grabbing my coat and purse before following him toward his car. He leaned me against him, his lips resting in my hair with his hot breath raising goosebumps on my arms.

"You look absolutely gorgeous, Delilah," Matt whispered before opening the passenger side door for me and gesturing for me to get in.

His car radiated exactly who he was -- CDs spewed across the floors and the back seat, numerous things hanging off the rear view mirror, not to mention his own...smell dominating the air.

"Sorry, I didn't get a chance to clean it...It's a bit of a mess."

"Don't worry about it," I laugh, resting my hand in his, "I love it."

He grinned at me and backed out of the driveway, biting his lip in an incredibly adorable way. "You love my car, but do you love me?"

"Huh," I say, scooting closer to him and resiting my head on my shoulder. "I'll let you know when I know."

"I'm counting on that, Delly." Matt's eyes widen and he quickly glances at me, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean --."

"No," I say quietly, replaying exactly how it sounded when he said that nickname. How easily it rolled off his tongue. How he was holding my hand instead of trailing a chilling finger up my leg. "It's alright. Call me Delly."