Status: Gettin' there

Hey There, Delilah

You and Me? We're Like Tea, Hot and Sweet.

The car was quiet as we drove into the city, only Matt's radio playing quietly as he feverishly tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. I smiled slightly and said, "You nervous?"

He grinned, like it was nothing, but shrugged, "A bit."

"Awww, Matty's nervous!" I giggle like a little girl and he rolls his eyes.

"You can't talk...I can practically hear your heart from over here."

I narrowed my eyes at him before moving my position so I was looking out the car window, "Fair enough."

Matt laughed and pulled me back over toward him when he stopped at a read light, watching business people walk by, along with chaotic mothers and their strollers, and dog walkers with at least four dogs each.

"And this is why I don't live in the city..." He muttered before taking a right turn and quickly finding a spot on the street to park. "And here we are."

I glanced out the passenger side window and let my eyes wonder up the skyscraper, watching the brick wall continue up forever until suddenly, it met the roof. "What is this place?" I asked skeptically, climbing out of the car and seeing that barely anyone was inside.

"An old family friends owns this restaurant, and not a lot of people know about it. I reserved a quite booth in the back."

I giggled and felt a blush creep onto my cheeks. Hadn't this been what I've always dreamed of? Romantic dinner over candlelight at some booth in the back of some quiet restaurant? Hadn't I always imagined my date, taking my hand in his and leading me inside, grinning like crazy like he just won the lottery?

It was, this was really happening. This was real. But it surely didn't feel like it.

*

I held a napkin over my lips as I burst into laughter for the hundredth time that night. The older couple sitting a few tables glared at us again and Matt imitated their glare from across the restaurant. I swatted his arm and he snickered, trying to hide his growing smile.

"You're so bad," I hissed, trying to control the fit of laughter beginning to erupt from my stomach again.

"Oh, c'mon. You can't stop laughing," he leaning over in the booth, clutching his stomach and just barely missing putting his nice shirt into his food. "I've never had this much fun with Meaghan on a date before..."

And just like that, I come crashing back down to earth, realization hitting me like a wave. No matter how real, how amazing it felt to be with him, Matt wasn't completely mine. I forced a tight smile and said, "Maybe we should get the check..."

"Delly, I didn't mean it like that --."

"No, it's fine." I smile again and try to prove how alright I was. "It was bound to come up at some point."

Matt slapped a hand to his forehead, saying, "I feel like such an ass. I shouldn't have said that."

The waiter comes by and drops the check on the table before collecting the plates and disappearing again. "Delilah..."

"It's fine, Matt," I sigh, relaxing back into the seat, "I just...I don't know. Even when Meaghan's not here, she's here, you know?"

Matt pulls out a few bills from his wallet and stands up, reaching out my coat for me. I thank him quietly while he mulls over what I said, considering the truth in the words. "Yeah, I know," he says finally, pushing the front doors open. "You're right."

I sigh and walk towards the car, leaning against it. Matt stands in front of me, resting his hands on my hips and staring at me intently. "It doesn't change how I feel about you, Delilah."

I refrain from snorting, and look down the sidewalk, watching people talk animately on the phone or trip over a crack in the pavement. "You sure about that?"

Matt tenses, "What kind of question is that?"

I roll my eyes, "I don't know...I'm just afraid that one day you'll realize that you like Meaghan better than me. That I was just a girl to pass the time, the I didn't mean anything --."

Matt cuts me off with his lips on mine. They were harsh and angry, but so soft...

His arms tighten around my waist and the door handle digs into my back. I pull away for a second, breathless with his forehead glued to mine. "What was the for?" I mutter, eyes still half closed.

"Don't you ever say you won't mean anything to me, Del. That will never be true. Even if," he hesitates, "this doesn't last, you will still be my friend, the girl I fell hopelessly in love with."

I freeze. "Y - you're in love with me?"

He laughs and pulls me into a hug, "Of course I do. You drive me insane because I can never get you off my mind. Every little thing you do is super freaking cute --."

"And I can't stand it," I finish, laughing and hugging Matt back. "I know how you feel. Because I think I'm in love with you too."

*

Matt pulled into the driveway and the sun was long gone but my parents' car was still gone. He seemed to notice and asked, "Could, I, uh, come in?"

I consider, hand resisting unsure on the door handle, "Sure."

Half of me knew this was a huge mistake, that my parents would come home and ask why he was there. But the other half of me was yearning for him to stay, to listen to his voice, to his laugh, so have his arms wrap around me.

This half of me easily overpowered the other half, and soon enough both of us were walking up the front walk.

I run upstairs and change into sweats and a t-shirt before crashing onto the couch next to Matt, nuzzling myself into the crook of his arm. He laughs and puts his feet on the coffee table, "You know it's love when I still find you insanely beautiful in Hello Kitty pajamas and an old middle school t-shirt."

I grin and swat his arm, "You know it's love when I put up with your crappy comments."

He leans in and kisses me, and I forget about teasing him. Or that one of my favorite shows happen to be on TV. Matt pulls me into his lap and wraps his arms tightly around me. Goosebumps raise on my arms and I try to hide the smile that forces itself onto my lips.

A door slams outside and I break away, my heart beating quickly and my brain still fuzzy from kissing Matt. I realize that we'd somehow fallen down and that my shirt had been pushed up just past my belly button.

Matt notices this and coughs awkwardly, rubbing a hand behind his head while sitting up straight and attempting to appear calm. I shoot up straight with lightening speed and sit on the very end of the couch, flipping through TV channels at a speed I didn't even know was possible.

"Del," Matt says, "Calm down. It looks like you just had an entire bowl of sugar."

"Hi honey!" My mom calls, just as the front door opens and reveals my parents. I smile tightly at them and glanced quickly at Matt, watching me watching them. "How was your -- oh. Hello, Matt."
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to Kristen and Jess because they were getting all mad at me because I hadn't updated in a while. AND Kristen put the entire science homework on Facebook because I forgot my packet. I love that girl.

Either way, hope you enjoyed...and sorry it's been so long!