Status: Gettin' there

Hey There, Delilah

The Same Old Thing

Mom laid the food on the table and smiled down at all of us, taking the time to give a pointed look before glancing at Matt.

He laughs and nudges my foot under the table -- we 'somehow' ended up sitting next to each other. Meghan laughs and throws her blonde hair behind her shoulders before taking a bite of the pasta. "Delicious, Mrs. J."

"Aww, thanks Meg. I tried a different sauce this time." My mother takes a seat and fills a bowl of salad, "So, Joanne, where were you guys from originally?"

"Boston," she replies before smiling. "Guess we'll be the odd baseball fans out, huh?"

My mother laughs and gestures toward me, "Delilah loves the Red Sox...I don't even understand why."

Matt raises an eyebrow at me as I say, "I appreciate their athletic skill. They truly have this...it's like they actually like to play baseball -- not just for the money."

My dad chuckles, "You should have seen us watching the Play-Offs in 2004..."

Matt looks at me, as if he could approve now, while saying, "I never would have pegged you as the baseball type. At least I'll have someone to watch with now."

Meghan laughs, "I hate baseball...it's about the only thing Del and I don't have in common."

"And your obsession with Toy Story," I respond, making a face at her.

"How long have you and Meghan known each other?" Rick questions, stuffing his face with a bread roll.

"Seventeen years," we respond.

"Wow," Joanne leans on her elbows and smiles at us, "I had a friend that close once. And then...we just kind of pulled away from each other."

Meghan and I share a look, one we know means that Joanne's friend history won't become our own. "I hope we're different," I say back to Joanne.

She gives me a look, as if she knows something we don't, before nodding, "Me, too...Me, too."

<<>>

A foot rubs against mine purposefully and I pull it away, tucking it under the chair and Matt chuckles. The adults get up and start cleaning the table and I look at him, "Are you trying to play footsie with me?"

"Not you," he whispers, biting back a smile. I turn to Meghan, her cheeks turning scarlet as her foot shoots back under her seat.

I burst out laughing and stand up, grabbing the bowl of salad. "I'll let you guys get on with whatever it was you were doing...or going to do."

I leave the room and drop the bowl on an empty space on the kitchen counter, escaping before the adults even noticed -- if they were to notice me in the first place. I head to my room, and close the door quietly, hearing it click shut.

My mirror looks back at me, showing a plain girl staring back, regular brown hair falling over her face as it tips to the side. Was I that painfully bland? Was I really that easily over-looked? Was Meghan really all that better than me?

And the sad thing is, the answer to all of those questions was yes. I'd always be the friend listening to Meghan's date stories, of her kisses with numerous boyfriends.

Even if I didn't want the Watsons to come over in the first place, I still hoped that their apparently-attractive son would still be interested in me, not Meghan. I'm a horrible friend saying this, but inviting her was...a mistake -- if I wanted any chance with him.

I shake my head and run my fingers through my hair. It was done, anyway. No way to go back now, and Matt ended up being an arrogant pain in my back anyway. If he wanted Meg instead of me, I'd let him have her.

"Del? You alright?" My mom's voice rang upstairs and I sighed.

"I'm fine, I just needed to grab something in my room. I'll be down in a minute."

Meghan slipped into my room, a big smile on her face, "Hey."

I put a grin on and wink at her, "So, you and Matt...?"

"Del?" My mom calls upstairs again and I roll my eyes.

"We'll talk later," Meghan says, a blush decorating her tan cheeks. "But, in short, he's...amazing."

I smile, I was happy for her, really I was. But, I wanted to be happy with a guy, too. I deserved that didn't I?