Fate

One

Fate can be interpreted into several things. An outcome, a destiny, a force predetermining events, or even an unhappy consequence. It can be consequential that what ever happened is inevitable. That what you believed could happen was really nothing like what was in store for you. Maybe even a final result. In most cases life doesn’t care about what you want, or what you deserve, its more of what you get is what you have and that’s all that can be offered.

But these things aren’t always bad.

You could have to fate of doing well on a big exam, the fate of getting that promotion at the office. Possibly skipping a fate of death or suffering. Skimming around something that could have caused pain, or injury. This as small as that can be interpreted as fate, but those aren’t always the only things. How about the fate of meeting the one you love?

Sara’s fate was this exactly. She just didn’t know it yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the usual routine for a Saturday morning, everything was the same every week. The annoying buzzer of the alarm would consistently go off ever 5 minutes until she would drag her tired and worn down body out of bed. She would take a hot shower and get dressed in loose gym short rolled up so they were short enough to keep her cool. She would put on her black sports bra leaving her tan stomach to show. Her hair would be throw up so that it was out of her face. She would put her arm band on, turn her Ipod on and walk the small distance to the beach where she would run for two miles and then back.

By nearing the end of her first mile, her adrenaline would be flowing and her heart rate up. Even at 10:30 in the morning, the beach was lively. There were the older adults there with their kids, old couples enjoying the warm air before it got too hot, the teenagers spending their day at the beach so they could spend the night drinking. Girls lying around trying to even out their tan line. But one group always caught her eye. A group of five men, always there on Saturdays, setting up a BBQ pit and having more coolers then she had time to count.

One always watched her run past, his eyes caught hers, and even if for a moment they would just lock eyes and smile at each other. After only seconds of this prestigious eye contact the other four heavily tattooed men would holler at him and he would turn to help them once again.

Today seemed to be a little different, and misplaced.

The guys were not there, the black Tahoe they were always in was no where in sight. The BBQ pit they had set out was not there, and neither was the guy she’d looked forward to seeing all week. She sighed but looked down while she was running. Her shoe was untied. She stopped running and leaned down to tie it quickly.

A pair of black Nike shoes scuffed up the sand next to her and her eyes followed the shoes up to the legs, over the black gym shorts and white ‘Megadeth’ shirt to the guy. The guy she’d locked eyes with every Saturday morning for months. His white smile was breath taking and the metal from his nose ring reflected the sun. In his hands were two waters.

When she stood up his tattooed arm extend and handed her a water. She smiled and gently removed it from his grasp. Removing the lid and taking a drink from the bottle.
“Wheres your friends?” She asked as if they’d spoken many times before this encounter.

He shrugged “The annual Saturday get together is at my buddy Brian and his girlfriends house today.” She gave him a confused look, as she didn’t know who Brian was “Hes the one always in a fedora, probably having sex with his girlfriend on the beach while the rest of us set up” She laughed at his notice of her confusion, but then the image of the guy came to mind and she knew who he was talking about.

“And your not with them because?”

He smirked “Well you see, theres this girl that I always see running on the beach alone, and its seems she caught me eye, and I figured she’d want someone to run with for once.”

She smiled “Really?”

He nodded and motioned his head towards the other end of the beach “I’ll make a deal. If I can keep up with you , you come to my friends BBQ with me and then a date tonight”

“Sounds fair enough” she stated before taking one more drink of the water and signaled for him to follow as she started a light pace, slowing picking up speed. And to her surprise. He kept up with her the whole time.