Untitled

One

Car accidents.

Fatal, or not they are always a scare. Even if no one is hurt, their a shock. Some claim the lives of those you love, while others allow the person to walk away nearly unharmed. Even so, some may allow you an inch from death, and leave you there. This was the case for this particular car accident.

Their one year anniversary was spent dining at an expensive restaurant, a long walk on the beach. However, their night was not over.

And for Mercedes, she was going to spend the rest of her anniversary clinging to Brian’s hand, and praying that god would somehow allow him to walk away from the injuries he’d sustained. She was clueless as to how she managed to walk away with a few scrapes and he was left for dead.

The sound of the horn blowing, the sound of the metal from the truck colliding with the metal of their own car on the driver side, the screeching of tires, trying to stop. Sounds forever burned in Mercedes’s mind. The sound of Brian yelling her name and grabbing her hand, the warm trickle of blood she felt from the wound just above her eye, and the feeling of Brian’s running on her arm as he lay nearly dead.

Doctors said they did what they could, and only he could help himself by being strong now, and it was unlikely that he would survive.

His pulse was faint, the respirator pumping up and down, his chilled hand in hers. The white room of the hospital, the chilly air it was sickening, but she would endure it, if only to be with Brian. Her hot tears flowed at a steady pace, each of them crashing to the his bed, which her head was rested on.

Her sobs caused her body to shake, and she begged to whomever would listen to let Brian live. She needed him in her life, if she lost him, she wasn’t sure she could live through it. He was her everything, the only person she couldn’t live without.

She looked up at his face, bruised and swollen, but could still see the man she fell in love with. She mumbled incoherent words to him, and then finally an almost silent ‘I Love You’.

“Baby, please don’t leave me” she pleaded to his body, that showed no sign of life, except his chest moving lightly, as he took in oxygen.

Her hand never left his, she was waiting for a sign of life, and for him to squeeze her hand proving that he was going to pull through this, and be with her again.

His breathing slowly got lighter, and each time he took a small breath her tears fell harder, because she was trying to wrap her mind around the fact that he was dying, right before her eyes.

She climbed in the bed, now occupying the small space next to him lightly lying her arm on his bandaged rib cage. His breathing was so faint now, it was almost completely gone, and she sobbed against his arm hard, the tears wetting this hospital gown.

“Please don’t leave me Brian, I need you so fucking much” she mumbled against him, and as if that triggered something inside of him, some will to live, his breath began to pick up again. She sniffled lightly and raised her head to look at him.

His body shifted ever so lightly, but she felt it.

“Baby…” he mumbled out ever so lightly, almost completely silent. Her body shot up and she looked at him, his eyes still closed, but a small smile appeared across her lips.

“Baby, I’m hear, don’t worry. I’m not going anywhere” she said leaning up to kiss his cheek. A larger smile appeared across her face, as his grip became a bit tighter on her hand.

Even at an inch from death, you can still pull out the will to live. From somewhere, somehow, it wasn’t his time to die.