‹ Prequel: You Stole My Heart

Growing Up Won't Bring Us Down

Dreizehn.

Thirty minutes later, after the interview was over, the band returned to the bus. Who else would they see sitting outside but Marco. Johnny ran forward, taking Marco into a tight hug and spun her in circles.

“Dad! Calm down!” Marco exclaimed. He placed her on the ground, kissing her forehead. She glared and wiped the small amount of spit from her forehead. Johnny’s eyes narrowed in concern at this. Marco didn’t seem to be acting the same.

“What’s wrong Marco?” Jimmy asked. Johnny was happy to know he wasn’t the only one to notice her behavior difference. Marco glared at the tall man, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Why does something have to be wrong? I’m just fucking peachy!” Marco shouted, throwing her arms over her head mockingly.

“Where did you run off to?” Johnny demanded, ignoring her attitude problem. He was turning from worried to annoyed in a matter of seconds. “No one had told us that they found you yet.”

“Run off?” Marco scoffed. “I came straight back here. Then I left to walk around the venue to try and find you after I knew the show was over. No one told me where you all went. I just got back a few minutes ago.”

“Are you lying to us?” Johnny demanded.

“No, I’m not fucking lying,” Marco snapped. The rest of the band, who had been just watching the parent and child argue, had their eyes wide now. Marco never cursed at Johnny, ever. Counted she rarely cursed anyways, but still. It was quiet and so tense that you could cut it with a knife. Matt looked up at the sky and saw the gathering clouds.

“Maybe we should go inside. It looks like it’s going to rain.” The others silently agreed and Johnny led the way on. He headed back to his bunk, prepared to get his pack before he continued this ‘conversation’ with Marco. He paused in the bunkroom doorway to glare at Marco.

“Sit. I’ll be right back.” She huffed before sitting on the couch, her arms cross over her chest and legs crossed at the knees. Johnny walked over to his bunk and narrowed his eyes at the bear on the floor. He picked it up and examined it. It was Marco’s, Mr. Fluffs. He placed it in her bunk before leaning down to his bunk. He pulled back the curtain and almost screamed at the sight in front of him. He shut the bass case sitting on his bunk and stood with it and the bear in hand.

“Mr. Fluffs?” Marco’s eyes grew wide and every crossed limb fell to a normal spot. Johnny placed his case on the table and placed the bear next to. The guys all noticed the mixture of hurt and anger in Johnny’s eyes while Marco was just too busy staring at the bear. “Where did you find him?”

“In front of my bunk.” Marco’s eyes narrowed in confusion. “In my bunk was this.”

“What are you - ” Johnny cut her off by opening the case. Inside his bass’s strings were cut and the bass was punched in at the center. The finger board had been literally ripped from the body. Everyone’s eyes grew wide as Johnny stood there fuming.

“Why did you do it?” Johnny whispered to her.

“I didn’t!”

“The door was locked. The only people besides us with the key is Thor and you! Thor was with us and you were supposedly on the bus anyway.”

“But I didn’t.”

“How could you do this Marco?” Johnny demanded, eyes filling with tears, pulling up the young girl from the couch by her shirt. Her eyes were wide with unshed tears.

“I didn’t, I swear! I would never break your bass!” Marco cried. “You have to believe me Daddy!”

“You were the only one with access to the bus Marco,” Jimmy sighed, not wanting to believe it was the teen. But with all the facts they had all fingers pointed to Marco. Jimmy pulled Johnny’s hands off of her though, scared he might end up doing something he’ll regret.

“Not you too Uncle Jimmy,” Marco sniffled, looking at all the men she had come to know as her uncles. “All of you?”

“I’m sorry Marco,” Matt said, studying every fiber of the carpet. “The bear was left there too.”

“I’ve been missing him for a week! Even if I did do it, why would I leave the evidence right there?!” Marco exclaimed.

“You were overfilled with rage. You realized what you did and ran off,” Brian replied. His heart broke a little at the crushed face Marco gave him. “I’m sorry Marco. There’s nothing else we can assume.”

“That it wasn’t me!”

“Maybe we should just send you home Marco,” Johnny said suddenly. Marco’s head snapped over to him, tears streaming down her face. He was staring at his white and black bass, not interested in seeing her face at the moment.

“What? No, I promise I’ll be good!” Marco begged, falling to her knees. This enraged the bassist.

“So not only does it sound like you’re admitting you did it, you are also trying to make another promise that will be broken. That’s exactly what you told me at the grounding for destroying the bus over a fucking frog and this goddamn bear!” Johnny shouted, picking up the stuffed animal and shaking it angrily. “So what is it Marco?! Are you admitting you broke it and get sent home or are you going to lie and say you’ll be good now?”

The teen covered her ears, not wanting to hear Johnny yell anymore. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to anger you, but I didn’t break your bass! I didn’t break your promise! I didn’t do anything!

“Enough with the lies!” Johnny shouted, throwing the stuffed animal to the floor. He kicked it out the still open door of the bus, making it land in a puddle of mud that had collected from the steadily pouring rain. Marco’s eyes were wide with the tears flowing like a waterfall. It was deadly silent in the room. Johnny sighed, staring at a wall angrily. “Pack your bags, I’m sending you to Papa Gates.”

“Daddy, you can’t be serious!”

“Deadly serious. Pack now. I’ll go tell Thor to call a taxi.” With that Johnny stepped off the bus. The rest of the band looked at each other before they too left, minus Jimmy.

“Jimmy? You believe I’m innocent, right?” Marco whimpered, needing to know that someone would believe her. Jimmy didn’t reply, looking away from the crying teenager.

“Please just go pack Marco.” She let out a sob before walking into the bunkroom to pack her stuff. Ten minutes later she was done and headed back into the front, head hung low. She stepped off the bus and paused to stare at her bear. She wiped away a few stray tears with the edge of her sleeve. She picked up the small stuffed animal and shoved it into her suitcase, not caring if it got her clothes wet or muddy.

“It’s here,” Matt said quietly as he walked up. Marco and Jimmy silently followed him to the exit of the venue. The rest of the band, Thor, the Berrys, the boys of Bullet, Winter, and Aaron were there. Johnny stood next to the yellow taxi, still refusing to look at her. Everyone gave her a hug until she got to Winter. She skipped her and was forced to give Aaron a hug.

“Hope you’re glad to have your bear back. I might have had to squish him like Balla,” Aaron whispered in her ear. She tore herself back, fighting to hold back tears. Him and Winter both smirked at the girl. It was then Marco realized what was happening.

“Daddy, it wasn’t me. It was Aaron and - ” Johnny cut her off with the raise of his hand.

“You will not try to blame this all on Winter and Aaron. They have done nothing wrong. I will have someone waiting at the airport to escort you on the plane to Long Beach. Papa Gates will pick you up from there. I don’t want to hear it!” Johnny shouted when Marco tried to interrupt him again. Marco blinked her eyes to try and get rid of her tears.

“You’re not even going to see me off?”

“No. We need to head to the next city.” He took her suitcase, quite forcefully, and tossed it into the trunk. Marco said a quiet ‘goodbye’ to everyone before climbing into the backseat. As soon as she had Johnny slammed the door shut and tapped the top twice. The taxi drove off with everyone watching and all the adults waving. Well, minus Johnny, Winter, and Aaron. Everyone walked away leaving Jimmy and Zacky staring after the already disappeared taillights.

“I don’t think she could have managed any of that,” Jimmy said sternly.

“Neither do I.” Jimmy’s wide eyes shot over to Zacky. He still stared forward, letting the rain soak his hair to fall flat on his head.

“Then why didn't you - ”

“It doesn’t matter what any of us say. Johnny wouldn’t have believed us anyhow.” Jimmy stayed silent, knowing Zack was right. When it came to his bass, Johnny was not one to be taken lightly. “I think we need to get rid of Winter and Aaron.”

“What?”

“They’re not trustworthy. Marco tried telling us something about Aaron and Winter was the last one with Marco before she ran off. I just think neither of them can be trusted. I trust in Marco and obviously they didn’t sit right with her.” His piercing eyes turned to make Jimmy's spine shiver when their eyes connected. “I know you and Winter are good friends, but Marco is practically a niece. I would trust her more than the girl you rarely speak to.”

With that the guitarist left, leaving the drummer in his thoughts. Jimmy sighed, looking towards the heavens which were blocked off by the steady rain. He closed his eyes and let the water hit his face in a calming manner. Something inside his head told him that they probably just royally fucked up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aren't you guys pimp shit?: Shannanagains4REVr, PhoebenPaige, KellShadows, I Am Rubicon., Simba Hearts Nala, WalkingOnBrokenGlass, Violent Ecstasy, and Commiserate. So, ah ha ha, hateful comments commence now?(: