‹ Prequel: You Stole My Heart

Growing Up Won't Bring Us Down

Fünfzehn.

It had been four days since Marco had returned to Huntington Beach. And she was no better than when she had first arrived. Papa Gates had given her the option to go back to school but she declined and chose to stick with online classes. With her laptop and connecting bathroom, she had succeeded in keeping herself in the guest bedroom next to Jeff’s. The only time she ever exited the room was when Suzy guilt tripped her into having dinner. Not even Phoenix, who had come over twice, could get her out.

Papa Gates sighed, staring at the TV mindlessly. It was about twelve o’clock at night and he just could not sleep for the life of him. Jeff had already left to head back home this morning so there was no way to distract himself with company. Suzy and McKenna had chosen to go to bed an hour ago and Marco was no hope. He muted the repeat of the news, ears trying to pick up any noise in the house. What had that sound –

“Get away from me!” Brian had stumbled out of his recliner so fast he was sure he’d face plant it. Marco was screaming down the hall and the only thing he could think was someone had snuck through the backdoor. He bagged on the guestroom door just to find it locked.

“Marco! Open the door!” He cried. By now he could hear Suzy and Kenna waking up upstairs, but he was too worried about his godchild. His mind was painting the picture of a man holding her down to the bed, a weapon that could kill her in hand.

“What’s going on Brian?” Suzy asked as she came down the stairs, only dressed in her nightgown and robe, McKenna not far behind her. He didn’t reply. Instead he slammed his body against the solid door. In three hits his side was sore and he felt like he could pass out. Now was a time he’d admit he was getting old. McKenna gently pulled him away and stared at the door like it was her sworn enemy.

“Let’s see if these four years of karate is paying off.” With that she ran at the door, jumping with her foot extended. The door gave way, the area where the lock slid in breaking off. Brian had no time to be amazed; he rushed to the bed Marco was thrashing around on. Luckily his imagination was wrong, there was no man on top of her. But her movements suggested she thought there was.

“Marco! Mar, you gotta wake up.” A few more moments of shaking the teen and her screams cut off. Her eyes snapped open and tears were already running down her face. She wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist, sobbing into his chest.

“Don’t let them get me Papa. Don’t let the Bad Things get me!” Marco cried. Brian held all his questions as he climbed onto the bed to cradle the teenager in his lap. Suzy gently guided McKenna out of the room, both concerned for the girl. After a few minutes she calmed down enough for her sobs to silence.

“Marco, what are the Bad Things?” Marco didn’t like this question. She rubbed her face even more into Brian’s chest, as if she’d melt into him and become one. She shook her head violently, her body trembling. Brian quickly began to shush her. “It’s okay Marco, you don’t have to talk about it.”

“I want my Daddy,” Marco cried softly, more like a plead than anything else. Brian was silent, not too sure of what to say. There was nothing he could say. Unless he had Johnny shoved in his closet this teen would not be happy. Calling him! Why hadn’t thought of it before? If he was a father he would talk to her, no matter how pissed he might be.

“Stay here for a moment, okay?” Her eyes grew wide as she looked up at him. Her head began to shake violently again. “I’m going to try to get a hold of Johnny.”

“He won’t talk to me,” she muttered sadly, but she let go of his waist without a fight. He hurriedly left the room and went into the living room to grab the home phone. He scrolled through the memory until he reached Johnny’s name, hitting the ‘send’ button. After seven rings the phone was answered.

“Hey Dad.” Papa Gates couldn’t help but groan. His son had answered the phone instead of the actually owner of the phone.

“Hey Brian. As much as I love you, why the hell didn’t Johnny answer his phone?” Brian Jr. sighed, sitting in the booth, across from Matt who was staring at him curiously.

“He’s out at a bar I can only assume.” Papa Gates’s eyes narrowed in confusion.

“Isn’t it only, like, nine at night where you’re at?”

“Yeah. We had only finished the concert a few minutes ago and he’s already gone. He left his phone apparently.” Though neither could see it, both Brians had run their free hand through their short hair. “Why’d you need him? Isn’t it midnight by you?”

“I couldn’t sleep for the life of me. And then Marco started to scream. I went in the room and she woke up saying something about ‘Bad Things’. Anything you would know about?”

Brian narrowed his eyes in thought at the words his father spoke. Bad Things? That sounded like something a toddler would be talking about. It was something, however, Brian had never heard Marco utter. “It doesn’t sound familiar.”

“I figured as much,” Papa Gates sighed. He walked back over to the bedroom and peeked his head in. Marco was asleep again, hugging a pillow, with her face twitching as if she were getting hit. He winced, not sure if he should try to wake her again. It was then a thought hit him. “Brian?”

“Yeah?” Papa Gates backed out of the room, shutting the door behind himself. He walked through the kitchen to reach the door that connected to the garage in which his BMW sat in.

“Didn’t you say Marco had a stuffed bear she never left alone?”

“Yeah, Mr. Fluffs I think.”

“She doesn’t have it with her.”

“What?” That is when Papa Gates opened the backdoor, searching the floorboard and underneath. “No way, she always had that thing in hand when Jimmy saw it for the first time. After we knew about it she never parted with it, especially when sleeping.”

“Well she doesn’t have it. Is there a chance she left it there?” Brian looked up at the singer who was trying to act like he wasn’t attempting to eavesdrop.

“Matt, have you seen Marco’s bear around?” The singer shook his head.

“She picked it up and put it in her suitcase.” Both Brians frowned at this, the older one looking over into the third row of seats. He didn’t see it which caused a bigger frown.

“It doesn’t seem to be here either.” It was silent as Papa Gates headed back into the house. He sat in his recliner, watching the still muted newscast. “Maybe I should put her with a therapist.”

“A therapist?” Brian echoed. Matt looked up and Zacky’s head popped out of the fridge, where he had recently begun his raid. Jimmy would have been curious too, but he was busy going to get some energy drinks (like he needed any). “Is that really the best option?”

“Well there’s obviously something going on in her head and neither Phoenix nor I can get into it. Johnny would have a shot but he’s acting like a child. Maybe someone with a profession in it can succeed.”

“I guess so,” Brian sighed, running another hand through his hair before letting that hand operate in covering his eyes and holding up his head.

“I’m going to try to sleep Brian. I’ll call you tomorrow. I plan on getting her a appointment tomorrow afternoon if I'm lucky.”

“Okay. Goodnight.” Once they exchanged their farewells Brian hung up. He looked at Johnny’s phone to still see a picture of him and Marco as the wallpaper. So he was just putting up a tantrum. Brian set down the cell and let out a sigh.

“What’s going on?” Brian rested his head on the table, unwilling to look at his band mates.

“Dad’s putting her with a therapist. She’s totally blocking everyone out.” It was silent in the room and Brian couldn’t help his next question. “Has she ever mentioned something called the Bad Things to you guys?”

“No. What’s that?” Zacky asked.

“Hopefully the doctor can find out.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Lovelies: I Am Rubicon., CigsAndValentines, Meganator, KellShadows, broken toy airplane., foREVer an Angel, Neche, liz510, Violent Ecstasy, per sempre., surfergirl, Commiserate, scarlett's_letter, and alive again;. Why noooo, not a therapist! So what do you think the 'Bad Things' are?(: Comment por favor<3