‹ Prequel: You Stole My Heart

Growing Up Won't Bring Us Down

Drei.

“Dad, I’m home!” Marco exclaimed as she walked into the house around noon-ish. Marco and Phoenix had hung out at the beach and gotten snow cones at the pier. Now she decided to go home and have lunch with Johnny. They hadn’t done that in forever. She saw the television on and walked forward. Johnny was lying on the couch asleep with South Park on the screen. Marco smirked, running to the kitchen. She pulled open the pantry and stood on her tippy toes to reach the blow horn on the top shelf. Jimmy had left it behind for her, just for reasons like this. She gladly hit the button when she was kneeling next to Johnny’s head.

“Oh fuck!” He shouted as he fell to the ground. Marco fell to the ground, rolling around on the floor and holding her stomach as she laughed. He glared, pushing himself into a sitting position. “You are one evil child.”

“That I got from Uncle Brian.” Johnny rolled his eyes with a faint smile.

“Well are you here for lunch?” Marco gave him a wide eyed stare.

“What are you talking about? It’s, like, six o’clock in the evening. I was worried so I came home.” Johnny’s eyes grew wide; searching the room for a clock he knew wasn’t there. He whipped out his phone and let out a sigh of relief. He glared at Marco who began to laugh again. “You aren’t allowed to stay the night at Brian’s house anymore.”

“Awh. No fun Daddy!” Marco complained as she stretched out across the floor. Johnny rolled his eyes and turned off the television. Marco began to make whining noises.

“Would you quit? Do you want food or not?”

“Fooood!” Marco shouted, her fists punching into the air. She stayed like that for a few seconds, the house completely silent for that time. Finally she stood up and skipped her way out the door.

“Whelp, someone had a snow cone,” Johnny muttered, grabbing his keys and following her. It was always snow cones that did that. Rainbow snow cones to be specific. Once he locked the door he turned around to see Marco bouncing on the balls of her feet next to the truck. He unlocked it with his button and Marco automatically opened the passenger door, climbing in.

“So where are we going?” Johnny shrugged, starting the engine.

“Where do you wanna go?” Marco thought about it, her hand stroking her invisible beard. The longer she did the ‘longer’ her beard became. Finally she shrugged, her palms face up.

“I don’t care.” Johnny pulled out of the driveway to head to the pier. Marco turned up the radio, screaming along with the lyrics of I’m Not Okay. Suddenly Marco cut off, her mouth wide open. It honestly reminded Johnny of a fish gasping for breath. “When is Gerard and Mikey and Frank and Ray and Bob coming to visit again?!”

“I dunno.” Marco let out a loud groan, tossing her hands in the air for dramatic effect. She yelped whenever her hands hit the top of the truck hard. Johnny chuckled lightly as he pulled into a parking spot in front of the local diner. Marco hopped out, humming along to a made up tune in her head.

“Can, can, can I have a milkshake?” Marco asked excitedly, her hands flapping as if she was trying to fly away. Johnny laughed, pulling open the door to the diner.

“Yes, yes.” Marco let out a ‘whoop’, running inside the diner. A man around the age of forty-something smiled, leading them over to a table for two. Marco sat on the booth chair, legs crossed to sit Indian style. Johnny sat on the opposite one with his legs stretching out and pulled off his sunglasses as the waiter began to talk.

“Hello, my name’s Adam. What can I get you to drink?”

“I want a strawberry milkshake with whipped cream and a cherry!” Marco exclaimed the second she was handed a menu. She didn’t even have to look to know they had it. The man chuckled, nodding his head.

“I’ll just take a coffee.”

“Coming right up.” As the man walked away Marco opened her menu. As she continued to hum Johnny looked over his own menu.

“Hey, Dad?” Johnny looked up to see Marco’s bottom lip in her mouth. The only time she did that whenever she was thinking about something. Usually something that was bothering her a lot.

“What’s up?”

“You know I think you’re an amazing Dad, right?” Johnny’s eyes narrowed in confusion.

“Yeah, I guess. But why would you bring that up so randomly?” Marco shrugged, staring back down at her menu again. Johnny placed his menu down and rested his hands on the tabletop. “No, what’s on your mind kiddo?”

“It’s just - ” Marco sighed, running a hand through her hair. “Phoenix said that his parents thought it was bad parenting to let a kid go on tour. I mean, it’s only two months. School would be out before that. And it’s not like I won’t be learning. Maybe it’s just a bit different from what they’re - ”

“Marco.” The teen cut off her rambling, staring up at her father. He gave her a smile and patted her hand that was resting on the table. “It’s okay. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. Just because you don’t agree with someone doesn’t mean you need to be pissed at them, okay?”

Marco nodded. Suddenly Adam appeared again, placing down their drinks. The two quickly gave their order before he excused himself again. Marco brought her bottom lip into her mouth again and she stared down at her lap where she was twiddling her fingers. “It’s just that, well, it seems like they were taking a stab at you. I don’t like it when people do that. It pisses me off.”

Johnny suddenly half stood and leaned forward to take her into a hug. Marco was confused, but quickly hugged back. When he sat back in his seat he smiled. “Marco, I want you to make me a promise.”

“It depends,” Marco said quietly.

“I don’t want you to fight for me. I don’t want you to fight on my behalf. Sure, you can fight if someone tries to say something about you or one of your friends, but not me. ‘Cause then you’d be knocking out people all over the world. With Matt teaching you to fight I'm sure you could definitely kill full grown men.” Marco chuckled, but still nodded her head none the less.

“Okay Daddy.”

“That’s my girl.” Just then Adam appeared with their orders. A burger and chicken nuggets, both with a side of fries. Marco cheered before taking a long sip from her milkshake. When her mouth was full of strawberry heaven she finally swallowed it down. Marco groaned, grabbing her head in pain.

“Stupid brain freeze.” Johnny chuckled, taking a sip of his coffee.

“That’s definitely my girl.”

“I feel like I should be insulted,” Marco remarked.

“Not at all.”

“M - hmmm,” Marco hummed doubtfully. Johnny smiled as Marco waved a fry ‘threateningly’ at him. “I’d watch what you say. Remember, I can kick a full grown man’s ass.”

“I think I could take you.” Marco faked gasped at the words.

“So now I’m too weak? Is that a jab at my height? Huh, Daddio?” Johnny grinned.

“Whatcya gunna do about it?”

“I’m going to ignore you,” Marco announced, sticking her nose in the air as she took a bite of her chicken nugget. After thirty seconds of silence she moaned. “Okay, I won’t ignore you. It’s too much work.”

“See? I know I’m loved.” Marco grinned, nodding in agreement.

“You better bet your butt you are.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting: Dark Passion Play, insomniac., long lost laughter, and violetriddle. Sorry, this is kind of another filler. The next chapter will (hopefully) actually have some point to it besides just to put out an update. Hopefully it's still good tho? Please comment lovelies <3

P.S. Check out my The Rev story. I'm really enjoying it's plot.