‹ Prequel: You Stole My Heart

Growing Up Won't Bring Us Down

Neun.

“I’m still blaming you for us getting kicked out,” Marco informed from her place on Johnny’s back.

“Oh yeah, ‘cause I’m totally the one that threw the milkshake at the girl who said you had a bad fashion sense,” Johnny mocked.

“That’s what I’m saying! It was totally you, you had to defend me,” Marco replied in a matter of fact tone.

“Not for dumb things like that.” Marco fake gasped.

“Insulting fashion sense is not dumb. Gosh, you’re never suppose to tell a girl that,” Marco scowled. Johnny rolled his eyes with a faint smile. “Now take it back."

“Fine, fine. I take it back.”

“You better.” Just then the two reached the venue again. It was nine thirty and the place still seemed dead. Well, minus the few fans that were lining up at the gate already. As the duo passed by, the small group of four had their mouths fall agape.

“No way! Johnny Christ?” Johnny turned his head right as he was stepping over the threshold. There were three girls and one boy. They, well minus the guy, squealed when their beliefs were proven correct.

“Is there anyway we can get autographs?” One of the older looking girls asked ambitiously. Johnny looked back towards Marco who shrugged.

“Don’t keep your fans waiting Dad,” Marco replied to his silent question. She hopped off his back and wavered in the back as she waited for him to finish. Soon autographs also turned into photos and talking. Marco sighed, skipping off about five feet to where she spotted a frog. “Well aren’t you all pretty and stuff?”

Ribbit. Marco giggled, picking up the frog and holding it at eye level. It was a deep green with big, yellow eyes. It fit snuggly in the palm of just one hand, but she held it with both to make sure it wouldn’t fall. “Okay, maybe not pretty. But you definitely look better than some of the freaks around here.”

“Marco?” The teenager turned her head to see the woman she had met yesterday - Winter? - walking from the side of the venue where the merch tents were currently being set up.

“That’s a very good example,” Marco whispered to the frog. It hopped out of her palms and landed on her head. Winter grimaced, staying a foot away from the girl. She hated frogs, toads, and snakes with a passion. Marco didn’t miss this and smiled widely, mischief dancing in her eyes. “Hey Winter. This is my friend Balla.”

“Balla?” She questioned with a raised eyebrow. “Like ‘baller’ but pronounced weird?”

“You got it,” Marco replied happily. “What do you want?”

Winter’s eyes narrowed at the girl’s bluntness. Marco wasn’t too moved, she didn’t like Winter and wanted to show it. She leaned her head forward a bit to show more of the frog, causing Winter to cringe back. “I’m looking for Johnny, Matt needs him. You seen him?”

“Yeah, we were at breakfast. He’s over there,” Marco replied, pointing a finger to Johnny was still talking to the four fans. She walked over a tapped his shoulder.

“Shadows needs you.” The fans’ eyes grew wide at the mention of the singer’s stage name. Johnny, who failed to notice their reaction, nodded his head towards Winter.

“Thanks.” She nodded, walking off towards the tents, ignoring Marco who was making faces at her. Suddenly Johnny walked up behind her and whispered ‘boo’.

“Oh my jebus! Don’t do that!” Marco exclaimed as she jumped and grabbed at where her heart was beating a hundred miles per hour. This sudden action caused Balla to jump off of Marco’s head and begin to hop away. “Wait, no Balla! Don’t leave me! Dad’s just an idiot!”

Johnny shook his head at his daughter who began to chase after the baby frog. She scooped it up and gently held it to her chest, stopping him from escaping by circling her fingers around it’s small body. “Let’s go Marco. Matt is looking for me.”

“Oooh. You’re in trouble with Mattie,” Marco sang as she skipped along behind her father.

“And I am blaming you since you are the one who had to stop and chase down a frog,” Johnny said in a ‘matter of fact‘ tone.

“Oh please. You were the one that was blabbing with the fans,” Marco shot back.

“And you’re also the one who threw a milkshake causing us to go find another diner.”

“I already told you, you’re the one that threw it!” Johnny laughed and walked over to the stage where he spotted the rest of the band. Matt was pacing anxiously, glancing at his watch every other second.

“Hey guys.” Everyone turned to stare at him. Matt hopped off stage to land directly in front of the bassist with eyes aflame with anger.

Hey guys? That’s all you have to say is ‘hey guys’?” Matt demanded.

“Hey guys, what’s up?” Johnny added meekly. By the hardening glare Johnny could only assume that was not what the hot head singer wanted to hear.

“We are thirty minutes late for a fucking interview you idiot. They were pissed and said they didn’t care how famous we are, they would not sit on their hands waiting for a fucking interview. Thor had to beg them to let us reschedule so we have it in ten minutes.” Johnny had his eyes trained on his Converse. He felt like he was getting yelled at by his father again back when he told him that he was dropping out of school. His dad was a hard ass, the pure reason Marco had never met his parents.

“I’m sorry,” he muttered weakly. “Me and Marco went for breakfast and - ”

“I really don’t want to hear it,” Matt snapped, raising a hand to cut the bassist off. “I have already spoken with Aaron who is willing to watch her as we go to the interview. He will be here any second.”

“Uhm, that’s not really necessary. I can just go hangout with…Jay or something,” Marco interjected, smiling.

“They are all gone in town. And just deal with it Marco. I don’t care if you like him or not, you haven’t even talked to the guy. Besides, no one else was available,” Matt said sternly.

“But I - ”

“Stop Marco. You’re as much as fault as Johnny is so I‘m not looking to make you pleased.” Just then Aaron walked up with a wide grin.

“Hey mates. Marco, it’s finally nice to meet you. I’m Aaron.” He held out a hand and Marco stared at it hesitantly. Finally she shook his hand before going back to cradling the frog to her chest.

“Pleasure,” Marco muttered before hurrying away towards the buses. Aaron scratched the back of his neck and looked towards the group of band mates.

“Is she always like this or..?” He trailed off, eyes searching everyone else’s.

“She’s just upset she can’t come with. She’ll get over it,” Matt replied with a wave of his hand. He looked at his watch and cursed. “Shit, we gotta go. Thanks again Aaron.”

“No problem.” The rest of the guys quickly left, minus Jimmy. He was busying staring the man down again, much like he had done yesterday. Aaron physically swallowed underneath the intense glare.

“We’ll be back in forty minutes tops.”

“See you then.” With that Jimmy stalked off after his band mates who were yelling his name while Aaron walked off towards the general area of the bus.
♠ ♠ ♠
By the way, this is what Aaron looks like, plus snakebites.

Thank-you for commenting: per sempre., long lost laughter, Neche, and Violent Ecstasy. So the frog is really based off this frog I found today with my sister when we were at the playground. We found a baby frog and the name "Balla" just popped out at me. We had to put him in the pond. I miss Balla. ):

Lol, sorry. Had to share my pathetic excuse for a sob story. So how about you comment? Yeah buddy<3