Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Prelude: On the run to start fresh

I had driven throughout all of yesterday and the night. Everything that had happened back in Minneapolis was a mistake, a tragic but not entirely bad mistake. True several good people died, however, it was for a good cause. I am so close to the notion of recording dreams. "Yes, dreams!" I exclaimed aloud in my car. Somehow my device is creating too much of an electric current and over a period of months, the person's brain literally fries.

Alexander had two kids at home and he needed the extra money. I thought I was helping him and assured him the pain would pass, that he simply had to get used to the procedure. I was dead wrong. My machine was made up of several different bits of everyday household electronics and a few bits and pieces that I managed to steal from random hospitals. Basically, it connected from the person's temple to the device, then from there it was a split connection to a TV monitor and to my computer where I was able to control the different amounts of voltage and frequency.

Soon I would be able to see into the person's dream by forcing it to display upon the screen. I was so close, I saw a glimpse of an image as Alexander died.....it was his two children I do believe. I felt somewhat terrible and monstrous. I wish I could forget everything, even my name Conner, just as long as I could continue my life's work, I would be able to do so with a clear conscience. I left several of the dead bodies back at my house. I didn't even try to hide them, I knew they would be onto me soon enough, and it was only a matter of time. I grabbed a few of my things, my beautiful machine and emptied out my bank account. I've been driving ever since.

I looked around. I had been driving along a windy road and through trees for the past hour, I was definitely off the grid. I saw a motel coming up on the right. Pulling my car up onto the hill it was located on and parking, I took a good look at the place. It was two stories but rather small, the white paint looks like it couldn't hurt to have some touch ups and it was rather plain but had a creepy feel to it somehow.

I got out of the car and started unpacking. How was I going to start over and find new subjects, I started wondering. Perhaps I shall woo some small town girl. I laughed at the notion but then started seriously considering it as an almost genius idea.

I walked into what seemed to be the office. There was an old man sitting at a rather beat up looking desk. He was reading a Cosmopolitan Magazine. I almost laughed out loud, but quickly composed myself. I walked up to him. "Hi, I'd like to get a room please."

He looked at me grumpily and tossed the magazine down. "This is a bunch of garbage, don't think I was reading that by choice." He coughed out.

"Oh no sir, I would never." I said politely.

"That's all the woman from the other shift brings here and I keep meaning to bring something to read, but my memory's not what it used to be." He chuckled.

I stood there and looked back at him uncomfortably. I didn't really want to hear his boring story of work life. I was exhausted. He looked at me and straightened up somewhat. I suppose he could see my exhaustion now.

"Your room will be room 23, here's your key," He said as he flimsily handed me the key.

"Thank you and oh...where am I?" I asked.

He looked at me crazily with one eye bugging out somewhat. "Where are you?" He laughed. "Why, you're in Pound, VA. Nothing much here, save a few gas stations and bars." He almost shouted.

"Really? That's quite wonderful I must say." I said with a partial smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! =)