Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Chapter 12: Letter Of Red

When I came to, I sat up quickly which sent my head swimming. I groaned and looked around. Apparently, I was now in Isabelle's bedroom and laying next to me on the bed was the still unconscious Isabelle.

"So you're finally awake," Isabelle stepped out of the corner, pointing a gun towards me.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked innocently.

"Oh you know why. We're onto you Conner. We've been onto you ever since you came to this town. You think the dead bodies you left behind were going to go unnoticed by the media? Pssh." She scowled.

"You see, the reason you're still alive and living freely is because we actually have a purpose for you in this town, and it's not to play your experiments on poor Isabelle. If you play your cards right you can have your cake and eat it too, and perhaps even have some more cake," She said the last part slowly and licked her lips.

"You keep saying we, who else are you with?" I asked

"I'm glad you asked. You see, I have a letter for you, Conner. A letter from the sheriff. I think everything is explained well enough in it." She told me as she handed the letter to me.

I took the letter from her, the envelope was a dark red. She then walked over to Isabelle and kissed her slowly upon the lips, even biting her just hard enough for blood to run down the side of her face. I winced. Amy was certainly crazier than I. I'm not sure if I'd want to be part of their threesome, but then I wasn't sure if Amy handled break-ups very well either.

Amy left abruptly and as she walked out the bedroom door she said with a maniacal laugh, "Do be nice to our sweet Isabelle."

I looked down at the letter and tore it open, revealing the also red paper, and so I began to read the typed white letters.

Dear Conner,

Welcome to our town! We do hope you stay with us for longer than just awhile. I personally would like to say how splendid is your work. I know you have a higher purpose for why you wind up killing your beloved patients. But here's the deal, I'd like to give an even higher purpose to your work. Ever so often, there's a someone in town who doesn't quite meet up to the expectations our town has. For example, we wanted one of our town girls to raise one of her boys to be a perfect police officer for our town.

She sure did try her best, with all the martial arts training and beating him whenever he wanted to play with friends instead of studying his law books. But low and behold, when he turned 18, he ran away! To do what you ask? To become a hair dresser. Why, instead of raising him to be a policeman, she raised him into being a gay man.

We hunted him down that's for sure, brought him back and killed them both in the most brutal fashion, that boy sure did put up a good fight. But you see, with your work, we can kill off these people without them even realizing they're being killed. We can tell everyone that this is for the bright future of our town and we'll all be famous! Townspeople will think it's an honor to be part of your experiment and when people go missing, we'll say that they had moved on to take part in larger experiments across the country and that they were living a happier life then they could even imagine.

The only people that will know the real truth is you, Amy, Isabelle and me of course. Amy and Isabelle are your rewards for your duty, even though Amy isn't quite keen on you, I assured her that you'd probably do as you're told and with some physical convincing I had to give her, being her father, she shares my vision now. I do hope you cooperate, I'd hate to have to turn the "rewards" I've given you into your timely demise. They're quite the killing pair those two. Enjoy your stay in our town, for it's going to be a long one.

Your Sheriff,
Sheriff Sheldon

I didn't know whether to be excited to be able to continue my work or scared for the restraints that have been placed upon me. What if I didn't meet up to the "town's" expectations and what were the expectations? I was scared but I might as well have fun with it. I smiled. I knew I was much keener than anyone in this small, hick place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sure makes you think twice about opening a red letter! =) Commmenttt!