Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Chapter 13: Beneficiary

Within forty seconds I went from an ashamed murderer to a glorified executioner. My feelings were yo-yoing all over the place. I couldn’t tell if I was appeased by my new position, or terrified that such a demented town actually existed.

For the time being, I was alone with Isabelle in a strange room. It was shaped in an octagon with high rising walls and no windows. There were strange stains on the linoleum floor and I wondered if it was blood. Isabelle looked at me silently. I wondered how long I had been unconscious because the catatonic state of mind she was in before had completely vanished.

“I would have never guessed you were into this type of stuff.” I said to Isabelle. For a moment I couldn’t tell if I was trying to scold myself for not noticing, or if I was chastising her for dashing my hopes of obtaining an apple pie relationship.

Isabelle gingerly touched her bleeding lip and winced, “We’re just fighting for the same team now. Nothing much has really changed.”

I nod in agreement although I thoroughly disagree. Amy was what had changed. All this “town executioner” talk had only added up to the fact that I couldn’t take any more peeks into Isabelle’s brain. Amy wouldn’t allow it, and I wasn’t about to tangle with her either, “How long has this town been this way?”

“Too long.” She answered almost too quickly. She then leaned forward nervously, whispering conclusively, “Connor, if you want to live the normal life expectancy in this town then don’t ask questions. The more you know, the quicker you become the next victim.”

I sit back, a bit stunned but I quickly regain my composure. I then smile deviously, “What if I don’t give a rat’s ass about the town and I just leave?”

Amy’s voice sounds from the doorway, I can’t help but noticed that she has changed into black lingerie, “Then it’s your ass, not a rat’s, that will be added to the growing pile of bodies at the bottom of the dam. No one leaves.” She walks across the room and straddles me. She then leans forward, teasing me by hesitating to kiss my wanting lips. Right when I lean into her to kiss her she dismounts and smiles, “Trust me, Connor. The benefits will be so much better if you stay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
=) Amy's my favorite character...Sorry, Connor. You have to sit on the back burner now..