Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Chapter 15: Omniscient

Putting together the video took much longer than I had originally intended. I was so excited about the idea of proving to Isabelle that it would be safe for her to use the machine that I didn’t really think about spending as much time with her as I usually did. Amy quickly took notice of this.

Late one Tuesday, I was sitting at my computer, almost at the end of my psychotic video collage when my cell phone rang. I quickly checked the caller ID which quickly displayed that it was only Isabelle calling me for the fifth time today. I figured that Isabelle was worried because I had declined Amy’s generous offer to take another trip to hedonism.

I exhaled a sigh before picking up the phone to talk to her for the first time today, “Hey, what’s on your mind?”

“It’s when a dog doesn’t eat. That’s when something’s really wrong.” Isabelle said, a hint of worry in her voice, “Are you going to tell me what you’re up to or what?”

“I’ve been working on the Dream Catcher, is all. I’m pretty excited about this whole new town position bit.” I lied, instinctively. Lying was like second nature to me now. Sometimes I found myself lying so much I could barely decipher the truth myself.

She sighed loudly, and I instantly began to wonder what she was wearing. I minimized the video I was working on and leaned back in my office chair, “Isabelle, I miss talking to you.”

“We talk all the time.” She said, I could almost imagine her sitting on the couch with my t-shirt on painting her nails.

I shrugged. I meant that we didn’t talk much like we used too before Amy stepped into my life. Our distant relationship started ever since that ridiculously stupid slip up at the pizzeria. I mean, the threesomes were awesome I just felt that Amy had wedged herself between us. And I wasn’t entirely sure I liked that controlling, possessive side of her. Sometimes it even seemed demonic.

“Connor, are you still there?” Isabelle asked, once again the same hint of concern entering her voice.

“I’m sorry, Isabelle. I’ve got to go.” I quickly flip my phone closed and turn the monitor off. I then tiptoe quietly into the kitchen before opening the back door which creaked softly. I look both ways before tiptoeing off into the darkened woods.

Hiding behind a tree, I hold my breath as a shadow floats on the lawn. The cold air mixing with hot breath leaves a ring, almost like some sort of sick halo, hanging around the stalkers head. I wait until they had perched themselves in my kitchen window before running silently behind them and grabbing the stalkers hand. I easily rendered them helpless.

“Who are you and what do you want?” I hissed in the woman’s ear. I had originally thought it was Amy who was sneaking around but I was somewhat relieved to realize I was mistaken.

“My name is Chloe.” She whispers, her bright red hair falling from her dark hood. She breathed heavily as if she had run the whole way out here.

“Well, what do you want?” I ask, the adrenaline rush was beginning to fade and I began to shiver in the cold, “Why are you here?”

“Because I know who you are and what you are." She smiled proudly, "Some say I’m omniscient, but you should know better than to believe that.”

I gripped her arms tighter and slammed her thin body against the wall of my house, “Stop playing games!”

“I’m not playing games!” Chloe yelled fiercely, “I’m giving you fair warning! Your first test subject as an assassin will be someone you won’t be able to bring yourself to kill. You can find me in the hidden house on Enchanted Lane.”

I let her go, almost with astonishment. I didn’t understand what she was uttering about, but something told me that killing Chloe wouldn’t be wise. She pulled the black hood back over her head and I almost swore that I could hear bells tinkling as she disappeared into the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was in the mood to create yet another mysterious character because I feel like there aren't enough people to manipulate!!! Thanks to our diligent readers!