Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Chapter 01: Her Morning Elegance

I meander the streets of the town called Pound and search for it’s inhabitants. The streets are practically empty and the brick sidewalks feel worn beneath my feet. I find myself at a coffee shop and I pull open the door and sit at the bar.

As I think back to last night I realize that the motel clerk was right. There wasn’t much to the little town located in Virginia. The closest one could get to civilization in this town was through a gas stations, bar, or a coffee shop. The town was remote and quiet, just the type that I was looking for. Now I just had to find that special girl who was destined to fall for me.

“What can I get you, sir?” A waiter asked, her plain white and yellow dress matched the walls almost perfectly.

“A cup of coffee would be nice, Charity.” My eyes flicker from her name tag to her face while I wonder if she is the one who would be interested in our unrequited love. She flashed a quick smile, before returning to the kitchen to brew a fresh pot of coffee.

I glanced around, taking in my surroundings. The place was practically deserted just as the street had been. An old couple occupied the far left corner by the window; the woman looked very unhappy while the man possessed the exact opposite emotion on his face. Only one other man sat at the bar with me and he looked seriously hung over.

“That’s Mr. Simmons, the well known town drunk/idiot.” Charity’s return partially startled me; I held onto the coffee cup betwixt my fingers while she gestured towards the older couple, “That’s the Normans. They eat here everyday because Mr. Norman refuses to eat Mrs. Norman’s terrible cooking anymore.”

I chuckled after taking a short sip of my coffee, “Let me guess, this is one of those towns where everybody knows everybody?”

“You guessed it.” Charity’s eyes rolled back while she laughed. She continued to speak but I only began to wonder what sort of dreams she had. Who she dreamed about and where she wanted to go with her life. I wanted to know, I wanted to find out, but I knew that she wasn’t the one. Charity talks too much to be a good candidate. Everyone will notice that she’s missing within a few hours.

I sat quietly as she leaned against the bar and looked deep into my eyes, “So, what’s a good looking guy like you doing in this neck of the woods?”

“Well, city life in Minneapolis was a bit much. I just wanted to return to the simple life and get away from my most recent relationship mistake.” I lie through my teeth, trying to make good eye contact but failing miserably, “You wouldn’t know of a place I could purchase a house would you?”

“Town auction this afternoon is a good place to start.” She said, pushing a bowl of sugar my way which I declined.

“Auction?”

“Yeah, Mr. Simmons’ house is located about five miles out of town. It would be easy to buy the foreclosed house, considering you’re the only new comer this town has seen for quite some time. I’m pretty sure that no one would want to live in that house since Mr. Simmons’ wife was murdered there. You might actually get a good deal.”

“Murder?” I almost choked on my coffee which I paid for as I stood to leave. It was hitting a bit close to home considering I could be condemned for murder as well. I took another look at the drooling Mr. Simmons who was sleeping soundly next to me.

“Yeah, we all know that he killed her in his drunken rage but the sheriff won’t admit to it. That’s the only reason Mr. Simmons still meanders the streets.”

I shrug and pull my jacket over my shoulders. With a slacking sheriff my job will be much easier. I wink at Charity as I turn to leave, “It was nice meeting you, Charity.”

As I step out onto the street a young woman walks by me, her elegance catching my eye immediately. She’s walking through the streets while reading a book that she (not once) looks up from. Her long brown hair is blowing in the westward wind and instantly my mind is made up. She’s my next candidate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Her morning elegance is actually a good song. It strengthens my imagination. I hope that you like the second chapter! I tried to make it interesting.

*points a finger at you* Hey, you there! The one who's reading silently and not saying anything! Comment!