Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Chapter 24: Never Like This Before

I knew there was a reason that I hadn't seen Isabelle in awhile. I had been thinking that it was because of experimenting on Chloe without telling her about it, that in some way it was cheating on her? But that was ridiculous, it had to be because of what the town was planning. While I was laid up in bed, they chose a very cult-like execution method of killing someone, and it freaked me out. I had to talk to Isabelle.

I stepped out of my car and walked up to the front door of her house. I rang the doorbell and patiently waited. I saw a curtain move in one of the windows, and expected the door to be opened any second but after standing outside the house for ten minutes, I really began to think that she was avoiding me.

"Isabelle! I know you're in there! I just want to talk to you! Please, I'm sorry for doing things behind your back, I really am," I shouted through the closed front door.

I waited a few more minutes and started to walk away until I heard the door being opened. Isabelle poked her head out hesitantly. She motioned for me to come inside, and I obliged by following her into the house. She didn't even greet me, she hurriedly walked up to her bedroom and I continued to follow her. She shut the bedroom door behind me when I walked into her room and sat on her bed. It was extremely dark, the windows had thick black curtains blocking out most of the daylight so I could barely even make out Isabelle's figure.

"I'm not mad at you, Conner. It's quite the contrary. I understand that you felt that you needed to develop your research other ways than just killing people, I understand that, I really do. I actually admire what you do, and I am happy that I am your girlfriend, at least if you still think I am..." She said nervously.

"Of course I think you are! That's a relief to hear, I thought you were mad at me, but if you weren't, then why haven't I seen you around?" I asked.

"I wasn't supposed to interrupt what Chloe was doing to you, at least that's what the sheriff told me. Although he told me very little, so my imagination went wild, I had no clue that Amy was involved with it, otherwise, I might not have even come," She said, sounding like she was holding back tears.

"Might not have even come? Why would you say that? You can't be that scared of Amy can you??!?!" I exclaimed.

Isabelle took her shirt off, turned around with her back to me and running her hand up the wall, she found the light switch and flicked it on. The light hurt my eyes but as they adjusted, I saw what Amy had done. It looked like she had been hit with a whip; there were several long lash marks littering her back.

I stood up and walked over to her, and touched her back tenderly. Then lowering my face, I kissed each lash mark. It was the first time in my life that I truly felt compassion for another living being. My heart literally hurt upon seeing Isabelle like this, I couldn't understand it either, considering the inhumane things that have been done with my hands.

At this point, she began sobbing uncontrollably and turning around, she buried her face in my chest. I just let her cry, I held her for a good long hour until she finally stopped. This town had definitely done a number on this girl, I don't think she had even experience true love until this moment, and neither had I. Maybe we were both made into killers by outside forces. The town for her, and my grandfather and cheating girlfriend for me. She looked up at me with eyes that were filled with a deep sorrow that ached to be unburdened. She had a large bruise on her left cheek and a mark on her forehead that looked like it had been a cut a few days ago.

"Don't worry, I'll continue the executions as the town has planned, I won't let anything like this happen to you again, I promise," I said upon kissing her and tears fell from my eyes to join with her already drying ones.
♠ ♠ ♠
aww I think their sweet romance is blossoming so nicely amongst all the craziness =)