Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Chapter 04: Tears of A Drunk Man

"Mr. Simmons.....Mr.Simmons.." I cooed.

He slowly opened his eyes and looked at me. Then he looked down and his body jerked in surprise. I had restrained him with duct tape to the frame of the bed in the basement. His shirt had been removed and I had a wire taped to his heart to monitor it, two more taped to his temples, and an additional one taped to his inner thigh.

"Pllee-Please don't kill me. I'll clean up, I promise. I'll even come and work off my debt to you, anything, please!" He begged.

I looked at him bemusedly. "I won't kill you."

He seemed to relax a little. "Whew, that's a relief. You're just playin' a game with me then? I get it." He laughed nervously.

"Yes, a game. As I said, I won't kill you. However, lets hope my machine is as forgiving. If you do everything I say and go along with the procedure properly, you might just survive it. But do pay close attention Mr. Simmons." I warned.

He nodded weakly. I suppose he was still a little out of it from the bump on the head he received. I brought the monitor up close to him and popped a DVD in. It was full of images that I had personally put together. In order to see his dreams, I had to know how his brain waves reacted to different images. This was always the boring process.

After several hours of boring image upon boring image, we were finally get to where I wanted to be. The anticipation was killing me.

"Open your mouth." He did so accordingly, and I slipped a pill into his mouth which he swallowed obediently.

"That's a good boy. Now enjoy your sleep." I coaxed.

He fell asleep quickly. I then started the program on my computer up which I had prided myself in the creation of. For the first 30 minutes, he laid there motionlessly and nothing was coming up on the screen. I frowned. Maybe his brain has been ruined by all his drinking. I adjusted the voltage to a slightly higher degree. There now, lets see if that does the trick.

Almost instantly, he started twitching. Random images were fading in on the screen. Yes, this is most beautiful. I thought excitedly. At first it was just some images of trees and tools; random people and him dancing merrily at one point. But then, I saw the most peculiar scene. He was crying and holding the hand of a woman around his age, his wife I suppose. He was telling her that he loved her and was sorry. I guess it would tear him up now that I thought about it. He did kill her when he was drunk. We all have our regrets.The doorbell rang.

"Blast! Who could it be at this hour!" I certainly knew that this process was my best find.

The higher voltage was definitely doing the trick but I couldn't leave it on for too long for the risks were too great. I started towards the stairs quickly. I'll just leave it on for now, I have the dreams being recorded right now anyway. I thought to myself as I hurried to the door and opened it quickly and out of breath.

"Isabelle?" I gasped out. She was drenched to the bone and it was 3 AM.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't leave things as they were." She cried. "You've been so nice to me and when you had tried to kiss me, I just got scared."

When we were last together, it had been our second week of dating and so I tried to move in for the kiss. Being as nervous as her, I guess it took her by surprise and she didn't know how to react. So she literally winded up running out of her own house on me. I then excused myself from her premises and that was all way earlier in the night. I suppose it had been eating at her ever since that moment. I wasn't really worried about it, I knew she would come back to me. I just didn't think it would be now.

"It's okay. We'll take it as slow as you want it to go." I smiled at her.

She looked at me with a very teared eyed yet joyful expression. She stepped towards me putting her arms around me and looking up into my eyes. I held her back and kissed her our first kiss. Her body just gave in to it and almost went limp. I actually had to hold her up for that moment. Though this was incredibly bad timing, I wasn't totally hating the moment.

I told her to come inside and we went to my bedroom. I held her for a little bit and told her that I'd be right back. I closed the bedroom door and then sprinted to the basement. Running down the stairs, I tripped flying face first into the concrete floor.

"Ahhh." I moaned.

That was certainly a nasty fall. I pushed myself up from the floor, looking over at the heart monitor.

Flat line.

I winced. This was just great. I stood up and walked over to him. Blood was trickling out of his ears. He was dead and I knew that it would happen when I took my sweet time kissing Isabelle. I slumped in the floor and thought that at least there might be some interesting things on the tape right before he died. there always was.