Machinery, Take Thy Dream

Chapter 06: It's Not Delivery, It's ***.

Looking over at Isabelle, I couldn't help but send her my warmest smile. She had stayed with me all through that night and visited me occasionally for the remainder of the week. I'm not even sure she had even slept. She certainly made me feel better by being there with me. I hated hospitals. I wanted to be the one doing the prodding and poking, not the other way around. Being here right now, I was feeling as powerless as a tiger in a cage.

"You know, you don't have to stay here any longer sweetie." I told her, "You need to go home and get some rest, I don't think you've slept much this week. Have you?"

"No it's alright. I don't sleep much anyway." She answered.

Looking back down to the local paper she was holding, she commented, "Geez, I wonder what happened to Mr.Simmons. It's not like him to go missing for more than two days. I certainly hope he didn't do anything stupid for holding himself to blame for what he thinks he did to his wife."

"Thinks?" I said puzzled.

"Well, I uh, I mean, he certainly couldn't have killed her. He was usually way too drunk to even move. I think maybe something else happened, which it doesn't matter anyway, his wife wasn't exactly the best of people." She muttered.

"What? I heard she was quite the model citizen." I said.

"Ha! Maybe to the higher class people in town. To everyone else, she looked down on them. Acting as if she was made of gold and you should hang on her every word. She's what drove her husband to drinking! Also, she was trying to get the library closed down! Can you believe it? Said that it was too much trouble and not enough people went there. That the land could be better served as a pizza place. A pizza place!" She ranted.

I was taken back by her words. I never have seen her out of character from her sweet and gentle self. I definitely hit a nerve with this topic but somehow I wanted to press on. I felt like I was on to something.

"No, I can't believe that. But certainly she didn't deserve to die for it, did she?" I looked at her, watching her expression.

Her expression changed from angry to guilty. Guilty? No, it couldn't be. Was I starting to suspect her as a murderer? I laughed to myself at the absurdity of the notion. What would the odds be? Two murderers dating each other by change? Nonsense.

"She didn't. I just haven't had much sleep, I don't think I'm making much sense right now." She said calmly as she looked down at the floor.

"Hey, it's okay. I think you and I might have a lot more in common than you realize." I brushed her face with my hand and pulled her chin lightly towards me for a kiss.

She blushed, "Actually, I do feel this really strong connection with you that I've only felt in my dreams. I really feel safe with you."

I smiled at her and she kissed me back. I think I want in her dreams even more now. I want to know what she might be hiding. I want to know her secrets and if she does have dark secrets, does that mean she'll be able to accept mine. Even though she might be a murderer, I'm a monster.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a little shorter than the others, but I think it gets the plot of the story out just as well. =)