Rotten

Scene 2

"Hey, Max!"

A young man with a quisitive essence in his features raised his head at the sound of his name. It was one of his fellow orderlies. With a slight groan, he could only imagine what his co-worker, Jim, had in store for him. See, Max and Jim worked at the asylum hidden in acres of woods, far away from civilization. Jim was an independent man. He could get most things done by himself. Not that he was vain or even slightly full of himself. He was just a very resourceful person that asked few questions and made even fewer mistakes. The only time Jim needed help from Max was when Jeremy, one of the patients, had an emotional breakdown, threatening to commit suicide. Jim knew Jeremy preferred Max over all of the other orderlies so in a way, he was still being the same old resourceful Jim. Just branching out a little.

"Max, I need your help."

"Is it Jem again?"

"No," Jim said, panting. Very unlike him. "It's one of the new patients. That girl?" he said, trying to refresh Max's memory.

"Oh. . . Ana?"

"Yes! Yes, that one. I don't know what's- here come with me, quickly." The two jogged to her room, Max being lead by Jim. "I don't what's going on but I found her only a few minutes ago; practically lifeless!" Jim lead Max to the stairwell. When Jim pushed open the door, Max ran in, followed by his companion, and the two pairs of footsteps echoed throughout the empty stairwell. Jim's voice bounced off the walls as he carried on, "I think she ate some really nasty food. I found some old rat-bitten piece of meat by her mouth. It was disgusting!" Jim ran even faster and finally went through another door, entering the fifth floor.

"What's the room number?" Max asked, trying not to seem out of breath. Jim was, by far, more athletic than he was, no doubt.

"It's this one right here." Jim said, pushing the closest door to him open. There, Max saw the woman Jim had been talking about. "Max," Jim addressed him. "Can you stay here with her while I get a doctor?" Max nodded and knelt beside her while Jim ran off.

Max pushed away the strands of very dark hair around her face. Looking around the room, he wondered how a rat could have gotten into the room. It was clean, bright, and checked every day. He looked back down at Ana and thought of Jeremy. He was only bluffing. He just wanted attention. Could that mean that that was all Ana wanted?

To be sure, Max lowered his ear to the woman's nose to check her breathing. It was slow, but normal. "Hey, Jim-"

But his words were cut short by the strong fingers that tightly wrapped around his throat. Caught by surprise, Max didn't even know who was strangling him at first until he looked down at the seemingly unconscious woman. Now she was wide awake and staring into his eyes with her cold blue ones. She squeezed her fingers, making it almost impossible to breathe. She slowly pulled his neck toward her so she could whisper into his ear.

"Say a word, and I'll kill you right now."

"P-" was the only syllable Max was able to sputter out before Ana twisted his neck violently all the way to the right, killing him. She pushed him off her and got up. Looking down the hallway, she didn't see anyone but she knew she didn't have time. She stole the white coat Max was wearing and yanked off the wig she was wearing, revealing her true blonde hair. She looked at her bare feet and realized that it may not be long until the staff realize who she is. She started to panic but she heard Jim faintly call out to Max and knew she really didn't have time. Settling with bare feet, she calmly left the room.

She looked back once, noticing that Max's eyes were open. Sighing and looking both ways, she went back into the room and knelt beside his body. She reached out her hand and slid it across his face, closing his eyes. She got up, and stood in the doorway. She only muttered two words before she left the scene and eventually walked to the park across the street. Only two words before the asylum's staff had realized what was going on by the time Ana had already boarded a bus and left town.

Two words, three syllables, and two seconds before she finally smiled, thinking of one of the Words she used to hate so passionately.

"For Freedom."