Crash

Crash

They stood waiting, holding their breaths, each face frozen into an expression of fear and horror. Waiting for the crash that was soon to come as the large glass window gave in to the creatures pounding against it with all their strength. The humans had been horrified to see the creatures outside the window that afternoon. They were nocturnal, having never before appeared during the day. Still, precautions had been taken to protect the ordinary people, such as replacing all windows with apparently missile-proof glass. This is what protected them now.

Some had screamed when the army of creatures had been noticed, some had simply fell to their knees and began to sob but one seemed strangely calm. Jesse knew why they were here; they had come for her. She had taken something belonging to them and they wanted it back. She had to decide if she would go outside and give herself to the creatures or let innocent people die along with herself. So there they stood, 21 defenceless humans waiting for their deaths, protected only by a pane of glass from the murderous monsters outside. Waiting for Jesse to make her decision.

The “creatures” as they were so lovingly called were a result of a military experiment gone horribly wrong. Government scientists had created a drug they were sure would be the equivalent of liquid luck. Instead it had turned the soldiers into monsters. They had turned ice cold and stiff looking and developed almost superhuman strength. This all would have been fine were it not for the effects it had on their minds. The soldiers had turned wild and angry, forgetting everything about themselves. Their personalities had been replaced with a burning desire to kill. The scientists could not explain what had gone wrong nor could they say why these new “creatures” apparently chose to be nocturnal. They had been let back into civilization with claims that they were no threat. 50 soldiers from the area had signed up for these drug trials and they now faced Jesse and the others through the window, rage and anger visible in their eyes.

While the others talked amongst themselves trying to decide on a plan of action, Jesse tried desperately to make her decision. She was going to die either way; that she knew. She simply didn’t want to have to explain to others that it was her they’d come for; didn’t want them to know of her mistake. She knew these people, had grown up with them by her side and didn’t want them judging her and she walked to her death. She loved them but at that moment she loved her pride more. Jesse knew it had been stupid to go into their resting place the minute she had set foot through the door but she couldn’t bring herself to leave. It was noon and she knew they’d be asleep. The place was dark and smelled of rotting flesh. It made Jesse sick but still she kept walking. She came to a room and looked inside. The room contained only a small table covered in lights with a simple gold necklace placed in the middle. It was like a shrine and before Jesse had time to realize what she was doing she’d crossed the room and taken the necklace. She didn’t know why she’d taken it but she had. She didn’t know how they’d found her but they had. That was all that mattered now.

Jesse had made her choice. She would own up and then walk to meet the monsters, which were each taking turns running and slamming into the glass, hoping for it to give way. They had already made cracks. It wouldn’t be long before they got inside. The others were still planning their means of escape when Jesse drew a deep breath and said, “It’s my fault, they’ve come for me.” Half hoping they wouldn’t hear her. Many did though and some gasped in surprise. A short middle-aged woman stepped toward Jesse, fury on her face. “Explain yourself!” she demanded angrily. Jesse told them of what she’d done, watching as each expression turned from shock to anger and then strangely to understanding. When she was finished the woman slapped her hard across the face. “What have you done? You stupid child!” she cried. Jesse’s old school principal stepped forward, looking pitifully at Jesse. “Now, now Angela, that is what she is after all”, she said coolly to the other woman “A child. We’ve all made mistakes”. Angela took one last cold look at Jesse and stormed to stand by her husband. Jesse couldn’t understand why everyone was so calm with her and told them of her plan. There were several shaken and annoyed gasps when she’d finished. “Of course you’re not going outside to walk to your death,” Mr. Manning, the town doctor, told her. “You’re going to stay and we’re all going to fight our way out of this,” he said, and everybody cheered in agreement.

So that is what they did. They gathered all the weapons they could even though many knew it was hopeless. They could never win against the enraged monsters outside. More cracks had appeared in the glass. It wouldn’t be long now. As they stood there with their weapons, waiting for their demise, Jesse took one last look at everybody. Everyone she’d ever loved and grown up with, standing with her, ready to die with her. She felt surprisingly at peace and she looked at the monsters. “Bring it on,” she thought. Finally it happened, the crash they’d all been waiting for came at last. It was beginning, and then, before Jesse had time to brace herself for the slaughter, it ended.
They had lost and the monsters had what they came for.

The End.