Sooner Or Later

Finding heat

Frank headed out of the house as soon as it was dark enough. He walked around part of the city before heading down the dark and dusky streets in search of even a hint as to where Claire was. He wondered if she was all right or if the hunters had gotten her when she tried to run away.
He rounded a corner and headed down, in front of him, the place they had lived in. He stood there, looking up at its chipping exterior and looked in the windows and listened to the ground for vibrations of movement from the inside. Nothing. He sighed and headed in. Hoping that she was there...that she was all right.
"Claire?" he said softly, peering around the corners... he headed upstairs, to her room. A few of her drawers were opened up and things were scattered on the floor.
"Claire?" He sat on her bed and hugged her pillow, it smelt like her hair. Frank looked around the room...She must have come back to get her things. He sighed and stood up, still holding onto her pillow and headed to his own room.
Despite the darkness of it, he could still see something lying on his pillow, he went over and picked it up, recognizing it at once.
"You're alright..." he clenched the bracelet tight in his hands and then put it into his pocket safely. He looked around; there was nothing in that room that he wanted. Frank went down the stairs and back into the night ... hoping to find another clue as to where Claire was.
He walked down the dimly lit streets, feeling some part of her lingering in the air. He followed the sensation, leading him to a park, but she wasn't anywhere to be seen. Taking a seat on a swing, the same swing she had sat on just two days ago...he touched the chain. It's getting faint he thought. Her presence was wearing thin there. He went around the grounds, stopping by the trees she had hidden behind, the trees that shielded her and exposed her fully to Stormy. Frank yelled out in anguish and kicked the ground, small bits of dirt and grass flew in the air and landed quietly centimetres away... he moved on.

Claire walked down the streets alone. Stormy had things to take care of that night; she would meet up with her later on. She thought of asking Ray to come with her, but when she had stepped outside and looked towards his house, she decided against it and walked down the streets by herself.
As a cold feeling returned to her, she looked down the street for somewhere safe and warm to duck into just a few minutes. Settling on a cafe, she opened the door and stepped in, the harsh lights hurt her eyes. She took a seat near the door in the corner, just in case she needed to make a quick escape. There was a fair amount of people in there, despite the late hour. Her head hung low, not wanting to arise attention or suspicion. She wondered what Frank was doing just then...was he looking for her? Was he captured and stuck with the hunters? Was he moving on without her? Her last thought stung the hardest and she tried not to cry. The chair in front of her scraped along the floor, she looked up, but not completely lifting her head.
"Claire?"
"Huh?" She said, instinctively...she looked up and saw a girl, her age with dark brown hair that fell to her shoulders that had a kind of messy ‘just got out of bed’ look. She had a normal enough looking face with a small nose and dark brown eyes, which seemed almost black with the amount of eyeliner she had applied.
While Claire had been a vampire she had stopped caring what the latest fashion was. Clothes were expensive and she wore them right until they almost fell apart.
Looking at the girl she sensed she had a ‘dark’ style going on. She was wearing black chucks, black jeans, a grey v-neck tee and a black ribbon around her wrist. On closer inspection of the inside of her wrist revealed a tattoo of a gothic cross. As soon as Claire saw the girl’s spotty shoulder bag she instantly knew who she was.
"Jess?"
"It IS you! Oh my gosh!" Jess wrapped her arms around her and squeezed tight. "It's been...I...I thought you were dead..." Claire chuckled, if she only knew.
"No. Just missing."
Jess put her hand to her head, still in shock.
“I just can’t believe it’s you! Your parents, they kept searching even after the police confirmed that you were dead. Did someone kidnap you?”
“It’s a long story…”
“I’ll bet, three years old too!” seeing how uncomfortable Claire was, her eyes softened and she said, “Well you’re back now, that’s all that matters. Sorry for asking questions and bringing up some stuff that obviously doesn’t want to be brought up.”
Claire gave her a smile, “Its okay, I’m fine.”
"I'm looking for someone, I just stopped in here to warm up."
"It's not that cold outside..." Jess looked at her funnily.
Just then the doors to the Café opened and two girls walked in. Claire could sum them up in one word “preppy”.
One wore a new era cap, two rather large ‘blings’, one in each ear, a green basket ball singlet, a black puffer jacket, some grey tight jeans with a pair of dunks.
The other had a pink headband in her blonde curly hair, a pink lacoste polo, a skirt that could be classified as a belt and a pair of loafers.
Both lifted the large pair of sunglasses they each wore and their eyes widened as they saw Claire.
Jess spotted them and rolled her eyes, “Fucking preps” she muttered under her breath.
Squeeling, the two girls flung them selves at Claire.
“Like O.M.G! I totally thought like…like you were like dead or something…whatever” Said the blonde one, kissing Claire’s cheek.
“I’m sorry, but who are you?”
“Its me Trina honey, like, who did you think we were?”
Claire looked at the other girl, “Emily?”
“Sup hommie gee!”