Sooner Or Later

Midnight stroll

Claire let go of Frank’s hand and walked into the room. She saw Jess lying on a bed and her stomach lurched as the thought passed through her head that Jess had gone too. But then she saw the slight movement of her chest as she breathed in and Claire let out a huge breath she didn’t know she had been holding. She looked back at the doorway but Frank had left, so she gulped and tapped Jess on the shoulder.
It took Claire a while to calm Jess down, convince her that Frank was really here to help and to suggest that if anyone was to blame it was Claire herself. Even though Jess understood what Claire was saying, Claire could see that she didn’t believe, or didn’t want to believe what had happened to her. She knew that Jess wanted to go home, and she didn’t blame her for it. Not wanting to seem horrible she explained that Jess could go home if she wanted, but she probably wouldn’t like how her parents would react.

Frank had walked down to the other end of the hallway, wanting to give the girls some privacy, but he also needed to clear his head. Alecia had betrayed them, and all he wanted was to take Claire away from this mess that Stormy had created, and to start their life again once more. But now he had two newly turned vampires trailing after him, thinking that they knew best and it was driving him up the wall. He had never been one for excess company and things were simpler when there were less of them. The smaller the group, the harder to spot they would be, but he knew he couldn’t just abandon Jess and Ray… or could he?
As he thought more about it, it all began to click into place. If he told Claire that Jess had been unhappy and had run away…and that Ray had followed her then she would be sure to believe him. He realised that it wasn’t such a great thing to lie to Claire, but he was so frustrated by the situation that this seemed the only way out.

After a while Claire emerged out of the room Jess had been locked in and closed the door behind her. They had talked for hours and Claire had told Jess everything. Not just what had happened, but how she felt about it. She was glad everything was out in the open. Jess had told her she was feeling tired and that she just wanted to sleep a little more; so respectfully Claire left her alone to rest.
She looked out a nearby window and saw the moon high in the sky, then she heard a cough and turned to see Frank standing behind her.
“The moon looks beautiful.” She exclaimed pointing out the window.
“You outshine it by far.” He replied shyly and she blushed.
He took her hand and asked if she would like a midnight stroll and she nodded eagerly. This was the first time since the ordeal with Alecia that Claire had felt that they had a chance at being a real couple. She intertwined her fingers in his and smiled bashfully as they exited the house.

From the upstairs bedroom window, Ray saw the couple walk down the empty street, holding hands and laughing as they bumped into each other. He frowned and the sound of a door slamming caught his attention. He looked out the window once more and saw Jess darting into the shadows.
‘Shit.’ He thought to himself. This was bad. If Claire saw that he hadn’t been keeping an eye on Jess she would never forgive him. He knew he had to do something, and fast.
Ray grabbed a bag from his room and dashed out the front door and headed towards where he thought Jess had run off. Adrenalin pumped through him as his newly found vampire strength and agility kicked in.