Status: complete

Kitten

Chapter Four

Ryan got up early on Monday morning and decided to make breakfast for Brendon before the other boy woke.

He hummed as he cooked, always too shy to sing, always sounding scratchy when compared to Brendon, never as perfect as the younger boy.

Spent most of last night dragging this lake for the corpses of all my past mistakes, Ryan sang in his head as a pair of arms found their way around his waist.

“Something smells good,” Brendon whispered in his ear.

“I’m making pancakes,” Ryan said shyly, silently adding, for you, in his head.

Brendon kissed the back of Ryan’s neck. “Can’t wait,” he said and jumped up to sit on the counter.

When Ryan finished cooking, he set a plate piled with piping hot pancakes in front of Brendon.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” Brendon asked, looking at Ryan in concern.

Ryan shook his head. “Nah, I’m not hungry,” he said, avoiding Brendon’s gaze.

“Kitten,” Brendon said reproachfully. “Kitten, when was the last time you ate something?”

Ryan shrugged. “I dunno,” he mumbled. “Saturday evening, maybe.”

“Kitten!”

Silence.

“Why do you do this to yourself?” Brendon asked in a small voice.

Ryan didn’t answer because he could never measure up against Brendon’s perfection. But he would be the skinniest, the prettiest, the sexiest. He would be the most attractive.

Brendon slid his plate of pancakes across the table to Ryan. “If you’re not gonna eat then I won’t either,” he said softly.

“No,” Ryan whispered, eyes stretching wide with concern, and the boys ended up sitting together on the couch, feeding each other bits of pancake and apple slices.

“You shouldn’t starve yourself,” Brendon said, wrapping his arms around Ryan and pulling the taller boy into his lap. “It’s not healthy.”

Ryan turned around to bury his face in Brendon’s shirt. “You don’t understand,” he mumbled, comforting himself by breathing in Brendon’s familiar scent.

“Then explain it to me, Kitten.”

“Don’t wanna,” Ryan muttered into Brendon’s shirt, and Brendon just caressed Ryan’s hair until the other boy calmed down to realize what time it was.

“Oh fuck!” he exclaimed flying to his feet. “I have rehearsal at eleven!”

Brendon just sat on the couch, watching Ryan transform into Kitty Beckett the actress and wondering which if his co-workers he was fucking.

“See you at the show tonight?” Ryan asked, kissing Brendon’s cheek and running out the door before Brendon had the chance the answer.

“As long as you want me there,” Brendon whispered after the closing door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ryan's singing/thinking from "My Heart's the Worst Kind of Weapon" by Fall Out Boy.