Snakes of Sorrow

The Effects

Heriot dragged her feet down the hall. She hadn’t slept for a week, not sense the short dream with a deadly effect. It’s not like anyone noticed. Sure, Heriot was a very well off girl with a nice giant house, but that didn’t matter. Her brother, who had been the star of the school years back, took the popularity and set Heriot’s reputation for her- a loner. It was worse than getting jumped or poked at. At least those people could have friends. She was like a taste teaser when people go for dinner; to be picked at for a few moments and to get left behind when the prize comes, the science nerd five paces down.

It’s not like Heriot was unattractive. She was very pretty actually with a kind of soft feature and timid, wavy brown hair. She was medium height with medium cloths, and a very medium girl all together. Well, before the dream came. Heriot found her sensitivity to light when she walked into the day, her skin much more thin and weak. Black circles clung beneath her eyes from loss of sleep and paranoia. She was completely different, but we all predicted that already.

I’ll just skip today, Heriot thought. She headed toward the bathroom which was peacefully empty. Heriot never skipped, but like I told you, she was a different girl. She breathed in a shallow fashion. Something caught in her throat and she doubled over the sink. Blood splattered at the bottom.

“ That cannot be normal,” Heriot cried. The door opened and someone walked in. It didn’t matter who it was, Heriot never learned much names or statuses of the people at school. She covered her mouth and ran out. Paranoia hit and she kept going, out of the school, into the city just minutes away. Within two minutes of consistent walking Heriot slowed and realized what she had done.

“This this is getting worse,” she muttered.

What was driving her to do this, you ask? The girl had started to go crazy. No warnings, no reason really. She had simply lost it.

I can’t go home, Heriot thought to herself. Rationally, the girl headed for the subway station. The sky started to grow dark.

What am I doing? She asked herself. In the end she was running, back home, sneaking into her bedroom window. She was no rebel, though out of wits she might have been.
Those things, whatever they were in that dream, were already taking its toll.