We've Got It All Figured Out... For Now

I Have To Be There For My Son

I have to leave for Paris tomorrow, which is a Saturday. So, obviously, it’s Friday: the weekend. Tanner gets Mason on the weekend. I have to pay that man a visit. I always feel awkward when I drop Mason off. Ever since I brought up Todd adopting Mase, it’s just been weird between us. But I really need to talk to him today… and I wasn’t looking forward to it.

“Mason,” I called out once I had his bag ready.

“What, mommy?” he asked, standing at the end of the stairs.

“Want to go see daddy?” I asked, putting a smile on my face forcefully.

“Can I ride my go kart?” he asked with a smile coming over his face.

“Does he let you ride your go kart?” I asked, looking at him with a playful look.

“Uh huh. It’s fun,” he giggled.

I glanced over at Todd and saw a slight sadness in his eyes. Mason hasn’t showed too much interest in the dirt bike he got him. I wanted Mason to for Todd’s sake, but Mason is Tanner’s… he’s got racing in his blood. He went on to give Todd a big hug and even gave Jayden a little kiss before we walked out to my car. He climbed into the backseat and buckled his seatbelt.

When we got to Tanner’s, he grabbed my hand as we walked up to the door together. I smiled and let him knock on the door. Once Tanner answered, his whole face lit up while he bent down and opened his arms for his little boy. Even though Tanner and I usually don’t see eye to eye anymore, I couldn’t keep the smile off of my face.

“I need to talk to you if you have a minute,” I told him once Mason was in his arms and smiling.

Tanner looked at me with a little skepticism in his eyes, but he nodded his head and walked into the living room. He put Mason down and he walked over to a little container of toys and pulled out a remote control car… that looked like Tanner’s drifting Scion. Oh dear.

“Mommy, watch me drift!” he grinned while making the car go sideways around the table.

“That’s cute,” I smiled.

“He plays with it all the time. It’s his favorite,” Tanner spoke up with his own smile.

We watched him zoom the little car around a little longer before I worked up the nerve to bring up what I wanted to talk to Tanner about.

“So… I’m leaving tomorrow morning,” I started, making Tanner’s soft blue eyes fall on me. “I’m going to be gone for almost three weeks,” I went on, sighing.

“Where are you going?” he asked softly.

“Paris,” I pushed out. “It’s for a study thing. I don’t even know why Rockstar’s sending me there, but they are,” I shrugged.

“I was just wondering if… you could take Mason for a few extra days while I’m gone. I know he’d like that and since I’m gone, I don’t want him around all the time wanting mommy,” I told him.

“You don’t want Todd to keep him?” he asked, hiding a smirk as best as he could.

“Well, Todd’s really just had Mason by himself. I don’t know if he could handle the baby and Mason. I trust him, but… I just worry sometimes,” I shrugged again.

He sent me a knowing look that made me roll my eyes. But he is the father of my first child. I have to be civil.

“I know you wanted to get him to a race soon. I figured if you had one coming up, you could take him. Have some daddy time,” I suggested.

“I’ve been dying to do that… I just wish you could be there with us,” he trailed off towards the end.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. See! Awkward! I eventually got up to tell my little boy goodbye, giving him a few extra kisses since I wasn’t going to be seeing him for two and half weeks once I left. As I walked towards the door, my eyes started to sting. I tried to rush back to my car without Tanner noticing, but of course he followed. I made it to my car with just a few tears falling before I turned around to face Tanner.

“He’ll be ok,” he said softly while holding onto my arms.

“He’s just my little boy and… I’m going to miss him,” I said quietly while wiping my eyes.

“He’s going to be fine. I won’t let anything happen to him. I’ll leave my number with Todd and if he need anything, he can call me, ok?” he went on while pulling me into a tight hug.

“You mean it?” I asked, snuffling.

“Yes. I have to be there for my son,” he said with a smile.

I smiled weakly before wiping the rest of my tears away. I told Tanner to kiss Mason a few extra times before I got back in my car to spend time with Todd and Jayden before I left. I wasn’t looking forward to tomorrow morning. I know Paris is a beautiful city and I’m going to be with my best friend, but… a huge part of me is going to be missing… for two and half weeks!
♠ ♠ ♠
How is that picture of Broc scary?! lol He's so good looking! I just think you don't want to admit he's better looking that josh... lol jk

comment please?