In The Morning And Amazing

The Kids Are All ***ed Up

*Bert POV*

I stood on the pavement with my hands in my back pockets. When I saw Mikey heading towards me I flicked my fringe out of my face and I cringed when I smelt it. Okay, so maybe father was right, it was time to wash it. Mikey lifted his hand upwards in an awkward wave and I responded by doing the same. These 4 weeks had seen him improve at school and it was fantastic to be able to hang out with him in the weekends. I felt like I had been losing him to something I didn’t understand and although every so often I’d catch him in a daze just looking at the sky, it was great to have my best friend back. I asked him about the exams and the random request for help once but he just walked away and I learnt to not ask about that day. In a way it was like the past 3 months before that day had never happened. I had Mikey to myself so I wasn’t going to complain.

“My place or yours?” I squinted up at his face. We’d done this every Saturday this past month. Mikey would have his bass lesson and then we’d meet around halfway between our houses to agree on a place to study.

“I have some pop tarts and coke at mine. Gerard stocked me up yesterday. And the parents are out of town. So we’ll be able to eat them in peace”.

“Sold.” I replied. That was another thing, Gerard coming back to live at home. Mikey had seem to benefit from that relationship. So maybe Mikey wasn’t all mine but I was happy to share with Gerard. I never asked Mikey about Gerard though. I just couldn’t. If those 3 months never happened to Mikey, Gerard had ceased to exist for 3 years now. Everyone knew that this year Gerard had become a drunk who took pills and lived on the streets half the time. What no-one seems to mention these days was back when me and Mikey were 13 and Gerard was 15. I didn’t know the Way brothers then. That’s probably why I heard so much about the whole thing. Eavesdropping on the suburban gossip. Poor Donna, poor Gerard and poor little Mikey, they would supposedly sympathise while sending over mockery meals with post-stick notes saying “I’m hope this helps.” Well fuck them all I thought. And now look at the Way family. Healthy parents, Mikey doing well at school (because of me might I add) and Gerard had come back. He was trying. At last.

“Bert?” I threw Mikey a wink and we walked the rest of the way to his house in companionable silence. As we walked upon the stepping stones that lead the way like the flute leads the rats I realised something.

“Oh by the way Mikey.’

“Mmm?”

“Happy Birthday.”
♠ ♠ ♠
because of this story gaining a third star last update i decided that you (my faithful readers) deserved another update. enjoy! (and lets get this story some more stars!)