In The Morning And Amazing

Theme Park Blues

*Gerard POV*

There’s a fine line between staying out of the way and just not being able to avoid over hearing. Unfortunately I was hanging out with the dudes in the latter. Then it stopped. No more moaning but there wasn’t one particularly loud drawn out one either. Something had happen. Being honest to myself I wanted to know what the fuck had gone on in there. I mean, Mikey told me that he loved Frank and Bert had no idea he was gay and he was planning to tell them. Well, from what I could hear Bert obviously didn’t think Mikey was a dirty faggot (as Mikey had quoted to me. Apparently Bert was a homophobe.) And maybe he didn’t love Frank as much as he thought he did. Whatever it was, I was confused as fuck.

“Thanks for having me.” A whisper from the doorway.

“Bert. Are you okay?” He looked like complete shit. His hair was everywhere, his face was red and blotchy, and his clothes were twisted about his body not too mention he had a huge boner. Even in such a state Bert was too polite to leave and not say thank you.

“Let me make you a coffee.” He followed me to the kitchen.

“Bert, I should explain. On Mikey’s behalf I think. I wasn’t here for him. I was selfish and arrogant but now I’m back. And I told him that I had stopped caring. I was honest and right then he needed that. His boyfriend had dumped him and he was torn. He had loved him but never told him. He didn’t even know why he was dumped so he craved the truth. From there he grew an obsession with honesty. He told Mum and Dad he was gay and now they’re on a course in Alabama on how to understand you gay son. He wanted to tell you but he was scared. He said you were homophobic but you were his best friend and that you deserved to know what a dirty faggot he was.”

“I’m not homophobic Gerard.”

“I kind of heard.” Bert blushed.

“I didn’t want Mikey to know that I had, well, feelings for him.” We paused for a sip of coffee and then I continued.

“The thing is Bert I believe that Mikey still loves Frank. He can’t help it. He never told him. It’s always on his mind. Always. What the hell happened in there Bert?”

“Well, Mikey told me he was gay and then I kissed him. Suddenly we were on the bed and Mikey well, you heard.” An awkward silence filled the room. Then Bert resumed.

“After a, err, while Mikey started to laugh and he couldn’t stop. We were on a rollercoaster and Mikey couldn’t get off. It was like he was scared and he just couldn’t fathom the idea. Then he kind of admitted he had just done something he regretted and told me there was someone else.”

“Frank.” I concluded.

“When did he meet him?” He asked quietly and somewhat respectively. Like he understood exactly what I was saying.

“About 5 maybe 6 months ago. Mikey bumped into Frank in a cd store and apparently they chatted for ages. Then I think they meet up again at a huge party in the holidays. The whole of New Jerseys adolescent population attended. Mikey got trashed and Frank looked after him.”

“And the exchange of affection. When did they realise?” He was so calm.

“They were sitting on some swings when Mikey chucked up and started falling off. Frank caught him, wiped his mouth and well –“

“STOP!” Bert screamed. I stared at him, my mouth gapping open.

“Please. Tell him I loved him always.” He whispered. And then he was gone.