To Know Her Is To Love Her

Chapter One

I pulled Marilyn all the way down the road to my father’s house.

“Oh quit it you! Yer about to pull me bloomin’ arm off ya nutter!” She yelled at me as she snatched her arm out of my grasp and scowled at me. I only laughed.

“Oh belt up, love we’re here anyway.” I spoke in the best bloke voice I could muster. It must have been a little convincing since her blue eyes bugged out of her head as she giggled. “Yer barkin mad, Jessica.” I shrugged and opened the door to my father’s…well I guess my house. It wasn’t much but I liked it just fine. The bricks were old and wearing down and the wood of the overhead covering above the door was old and rotting. It was home though.

“Dah? Are you home?” I bellowed looking around. Hearing no answer, I heaved a sigh of relief as I pulled Marilyn up the creaky stairs to my room… I suppose it would be our room now. She looked around the room happily, all of my things were music orientated and I had albums hanging on the wall, namely Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly and the Crickets and the king himself, Elvis Presley; she liked American music too…That was one of the reasons we started talking in the first place.

She set her expensive immaculate bags down next to my own dirty and tattered suitcases. I sighed heavily thinking of his reaction. Only I could get expelled from a ‘ladies’ boarding school, well Marilyn and I but she’s my best mate anyway…Hopefully he wouldn’t react as harshly as Marilyn’s family had…Disowning her because they didn’t want a ‘loose woman’ in their perfect family. Ah, to be a young woman in the late ‘50s.

“We should shove off before me dah gets home…He won’ be too thrilled about why I’m back…or that I fetched a new gullet for him ta feed.” I said delicately, she nodded softly and followed me down the stairs. Once outside I began to walk down that familiar road I remembered so well, hoping they still lived there; the people that I adored and wished were my family. I could definitely use some time with my oldest mate. I wondered what he looked like now.

Marilyn was getting irritated after we had been walking for ten minutes and started swearing under her breath. It was about only about a fifteen minute stroll from 202 Vale Rd to 251 Menlove Ave; but alas Marilyn was from a higher class than me and wasn’t used to walking as a means of transportation.

“C’mon Rosie, ‘tis just a wee bit further!” I said patronizingly as I started tugging her arm again, more for support so I didn’t slip on the wet cobblestone walkway but I’d just let her believe it was to bother her.

“Ya know somethin’? I’m really beginning to regret ever telling ya me middle name in the first place. Let go of me bloody arm! Where we goin anyway?” She said as she pried me off of her once more. It was too much fun to annoy her.

“We’re goin to see me oldest chum, he’s always a bit randy though so be careful or he’ll be tryin to get into yer knickers.” I said giggling a little, when the look of horror appeared on her face.

“I’m starting to regret not changing into me trousers when I had the chance…Speaking of such, why are YOU still in the ghastly skirt?” She said in a snide tone… “I got a cornucopia of trousers at Johnny’s place, duh…God yer a dimwit sometimes, Rosie.”

She scoffed before she replied with, “Slag!” I barked out a laugh.

We finally made it to my favorite house and I ran up to the door and did my usual “secret” knock so they’d know it was me. Auntie came up to the door peering out of the window with an exasperated look on her face. Identifying me as a real person and not a hallucination; she opened the door and ran to me.

“Jessica Wilde is that you?” She asked whilst taking hold of my shoulders. “Aye, how’ve ya been Mimi?” With that she threw he arms around me in a spine snapping hug that I returned warmly. She pulled back and gave an airy laugh. “I dare say, my dear, you seem to be dressing like a lady. It is most refreshing seeing you like this than dressed like a young man. It’s not right, for a young lady to be wearing men’s clothing dear.” As she spoke she gave me a very disapproving glare.

“Well, I’ve missed ya too Auntie,” my words oozed with sarcasm as she giggled. “Oh, I’ve missed you too dear. Come in, I’ll make you some tea…Oh, heavens me, how terribly rude of me, who is your chum?” She looked between Marilyn and I expectantly.

“Oh! Well Auntie, this is one o’ me best mates, Marilyn Powers; she loves when you call ‘er Rosie though it’s ‘er middle name it is. Rosie, this is Mimi Smith; she’s a real lady.” I said they both gave a light curtsey and it was easy to see that Mimi actually approved of her…Well for now anyway.

“Come in both of you! I’ll put some tea on for us. John’s upstairs with his little friends. Why don’t you go up and see him Jessica. He’s missed you terribly; bring your little chum too he could use new friends anyway.” She sounded less than impressed with his new friends but she grinned at me none the less.

“Alright then, c’mon Rosie” I uttered happily as we walked towards the staircase. I put my finger to my lips and made a motion for them to be quiet as we crept up the staircase. My nerves were starting to set in as butterflies exploded in my stomach. What if he’s changed and is a dick now? What if he won’t like me? What if he acts like a nitwit towards me to impress his friends?

I shook my bizarre insecurities off…This was Johnny we’re talking about! We had been friends since I was 4 years old. Nothing would be different. When I realized Marilyn was about to knock on his bedroom door, I slapped her hand away…hard, and motioned her to stay quiet. Her face contorted with rage, as she mouthed an “OOOW!” and punched me in the arm. We got into a slapping war until I pulled her hair and put her into a headlock; she forcefully kicked me in the shin before motioning for me to proceed. We straightened our plaid skirts and white blouses and fixed our hair. I tried to listen at the door but Marilyn got impatient. She smacked the back of my head and screamed in a whisper, “HURRY UP! I ain’ gettin’ any younger ‘ere!” I raised my middle finger up at her but complied.

I backed up a bit and proceeded to kick the door open and screech, “Oh Johnny Boy! Where are you?”

Marilyn fell down laughing as two of John’s friends let out high pitched squeals as they jumped into each other’s arms when the door flew open and hit the wall. Realizing what she was laughing about, they pushed each other away and started boxing.

John stared at me in shock, from seeing me all made up like a bird no doubt…or because we hadn’t seen each other in a couple years. I smiled at him, glued to the same spot in front of his door. He looked so different yet the same. His brown hair, usually neat and tidy, was now styled in a quiff; greased at sides and was a great wavy mess atop his head. He was dressed in the Teddy Boy fashion but even that couldn’t hide his gangly frame, I wasn’t the biggest fan of his new look. His brown eyes were widened with shock as he comprehended everything. Then his thin lips then stretched into his goofy crooked grin before he questioned me, cautiously eyeing me up and down. “Is that really you Jessie?”

“God yer dim, Johnny Boy. Who else would it be?” I spat rolling my eyes at him. The other boys were preoccupied with Marilyn who still in hysterics to pay us any mind. His smile grew as he stretched out his arms. Ungluing myself from the spot in the doorframe and ran to him. I jumped up and wrapped my legs around him and we shared a friendly kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the first chapter let me know what you think.