Status: Complete.

Listen to the Thunder

Let me feel you in my veins.

It took for the entire weekend to pass before I saw Kyle. I had to stay overnight in the hospital, because we got there so late, and I eventually got a cab back with Alex with deep bruising across my nose and eyes, and a splint taped to my face to hold my re-shaped nose in place. I told Alex he didn’t have to wait for me, but he insisted. He didn’t want to leave me on my own. We got back to the dorms to find Matt and Danny impatiently pacing, and they practically pounced on us to find out what happened. All I did was go back to my room and pass out though. Alex didn’t tell them much other than I’d been in a fight. I know this because they spent the two days of the weekend watching me curiously. They wouldn’t be doing that if they knew the truth.

It was Monday morning when I saw Kyle. I didn’t recognise him at first because his hood was up and he was walking with a limp, but when I got up close I couldn’t even stifle my gasp. His eye was a deep black-purple, his bottom lip swollen and scabbing over. He glanced at me in nervousness, wincing every time he took a breath. Fuck, what did Nick do to him?!

“K-Kyle, oh shit,” I whimpered.

“I’m fine,” Kyle said quietly.

“No you’re not! Fuck, how can you say that?” I exasperated.

Kyle just shook his head, staying silent. So I tried again.

“Why didn’t you text me back?” I asked worriedly.

“My phone…it broke,” Kyle said softly.

“What? How?” I demanded.

“I threw it against a wall,” Kyle mumbled.

Nick threw it against a wall.

“And your face? Your leg? And, I’m guessing, your ribs? You threw them against the wall too?” I said angrily.

“Just leave it, Jack,” Kyle said wearily.

“Uh, I don’t think so, Kyle, I…”

“I SAID LEAVE IT!” Kyle suddenly yelled.

I snapped my mouth shut, eyes wide in shock. I hadn’t expected that. Kyle panted heavily, his face contorting in a wince every now and again, which only made me sad once more. How can he lie to my face like this? How can he protect Nick when Nick was so obviously the one that did this?

“Kyle, why won’t you let me help you?” I asked.

“Because I don’t need help,” Kyle said with gritted teeth.

“But…”

“Jack, I said no. Please, just…no,” Kyle said, his eyes boring into mine.

Those blue orbs held such a sadness that I knew I couldn’t push him, so I just nodded. I don’t know what else to do.

“Thank you,” Kyle whispered.

I stayed still and silent as he kissed my cheek, such a feather-light kiss that I could barely believe he did it, and watched him limp away with a heavy heart. Then I turned on my heel and walked back to my dorm, in an almost-trance, not really taking in my surroundings until I felt someone shaking me.

Alex.

“Jack? Fuck, you nearly gave Matt a heart attack when you showed up like that!” Alex gasped.

Huh. I’m in my dorm, sitting on the sofa, Alex kneeling in front of me with Matt and Danny standing either side of him.

“I thought you were on a bad trip or something,” Matt nodded, trying to make a joke when I could tell he was really worried.

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost, dude,” Danny frowned.

“Or just the ghost of a person I once knew,” I murmured.

“Okay, now you’re scaring me, love,” Alex said worriedly, “what happened?”

“I found Kyle,” I whispered, finally looking at him.

Alex immediately paled, his grip on my hands tightening immensely.

“What’s going on?” Matt asked, confused.

“You know Jack got into a fight at that party?” Alex said quietly.

“Yeah…” Danny frowned, prompting Alex.

“Well, it was Nick that punched him. Nick was cheating on Kyle with Kyle right next to him, and because Jack was trying to defend Kyle, Nick hit him. Kyle immediately comforted Jack instead of Nick, and Nick stormed outside, where Kyle was then ‘summoned’ to go too. Jack hasn’t heard from Kyle all weekend,” Alex summarised shakily.

“So Nick…you think Nick hurt Kyle because he turned to you?” Matt asked me.

“Yeah. He was limping so I’m guessing his leg was at least stamped on. He had difficulty breathing so I’m guessing a blow to the ribs. And he has a black eye and his lip is busted, so I’m guessing at least a blow to the face. And he won’t admit anything,” I said quietly.

My friends stayed silent, varying degrees of horror and shock on their faces.

“Nick’s got him scared,” Alex whispered.

I felt a lump rise in my throat, and I willed it not to make me start crying. Not now. Not here.

“I wish I knew how to help him. He won’t even admit it to me, and I’m the only real friend he’s got here, and that’s saying something,” I choked

“Shit,” Matt cursed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“What do we do?” Danny asked,

We?” I frowned, not understanding.

“Yeah, we. Kyle obviously means a lot to you, and if this has got Alex freaked out too, then I’m not just going to stand by and let the kid get beaten up by that psycho,” Danny said firmly.

“I-I don’t know,” I mumbled, “I asked him why he wouldn’t let me help him, and he just begged me not to. I don’t know what to do,”

We all fell silent, a heavy silence that weighed me down even. I suppose I should be happy that Matt and Danny want to protect Kyle too now, but I can’t conjure that happiness. Not when Kyle could be in danger like this.

“All we can do is wait,” Alex finally said.

“Wait for what?” Matt asked.

“Anything,” Alex said.

“Anything?” Danny frowned, confused.

“Anything that gives us the proof we need to get Kyle out of there. All we can do is wait,” Alex repeated.

I just wish I knew for how long.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh Kyle :(
Oh things are not looking up for him, are they?
A call to Rian is made in the next chapter.

Okay, so I'm going on a two week vacation to New York, Virginia, Baltimore and Washington on Sunday 31st, so I don't know if I'll be able to update again until I get back. I will try, but I can't promise anything.

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Love to you all =]

revengefulvampire
HopeThePope0445
Ashie.Lexia
Nytestalker
dinosaursgorawr
gcchic7484
miss.sobriety (x3!)
BOOM!roasted.
ElyRae
Ace Lightning.
Oh.Watkins!
Hello Fascination.
Xxxmcrxxx123456789
hello_darkness
watson.

xo