Status: Wish me luck!

Wrapping Paper Trash

So Trashy

Six months earlier

I watched as Kara sprinted across the sand, seemingly carefree.
"You're really lucky, man," Matt mumbled from behind me, "She's a great girl."

"Yeah," I sighed, "I know she is."

"I can't believe you've only known each other for a month. You're inseparable. "

I laughed, "Man, you have no idea."

"You might want to watch out, though. I hear she doesn't stay in one place for long."

"What are you talking about? She's already making Christmas plans."

One week before

I sped down the slushy sidewalk, trying my hardest not to fall. Where were all the cabs when you needed them? Snow was falling in clumps from the dark clouds overhead, and not even my hand-knit scarf (Kara's birthday present) could keep the chill from seeping into my bones.

My numb fingers finally opened the door to our place. The first thing I noticed, other than the smell of gingerbread, was that everything was sparkling. She had decorated the entire apartment while I was at work.

"Hey babe! You're almost late for dinner," she said, strolling over to give me a peck on the cheek, "And you're half-frozen! No taxi's, huh?"

I shook my head, "Nope," I gestured to the small Christmas tree in the corner with present wrapped beneath it, the red and gold garlands above the doorway, and the small village display in the dining room, "How long did all this take you?"

"Oh, not long. An hour or two."

I nodded and followed her into the kitchen.

"Stop!" she said, turning to face me.

"What?"

She pointed to the ceiling above our heads. Mistletoe. I smiled and bent to kiss her.

She was just too perfect.

Now

"Kara! Where are you?" I called across our small New York apartment, "Santa brought you a little something!"

I held the small box behind my back, an early Christmas present. This just couldn't wait another day.

"Kara?"

I searched every corner but there was no sign of her. Even in our bedroom, all her things were neatly packed away.

She's probably out picking things up for tomorrow night.

It wasn't until i went to sit in the living room that I saw it. Under the tree, instead of brightly wrapped boxes, was a note written in her perfect print:

Tyler,

I know this will come as a surprise to you, but I just can't stay in New York anymore. I need somewhere sunny and happy. I love you, but I just can't be with you. Not here. I'm going to live with my sister in Tennessee.

I know you'll never leave the city, and I'm okay with that. But please don't try to contact me; this is hard enough already.

I had a lot of fun with you these past six months, and I'll never forget you. Merry Christmas.

Love, Kara.


My first though was that this couldn't be real. There was no way she would up and leave the day before Christmas. But the proof was under the Christmas tree. There was nothing there. All the pictures of her family were gone from the rooms. Her clothes were missing from the closet.

I picked up my phone to call Matt. No answer. Instead I got his voicemail, which said, Hey, you’ve reached Matt. I’m heading to Tennessee at the moment, so leave me a message and I’ll call you when I land. Later.

I threw my phone at the wall. Great friend I’ve got, running of with my best friend.

My heart was frost-bitten, cold as ice. I tore the garland from above the doorway, pulled the mistletoe from the ceiling. The Christmas tree went out into the hallway, exactly as it was.

I couldn't believe they would do this to me. How trashy could you possibly--

No. Be nice. She had her reasons for leaving--

With my friend? It would have been nice of her to tell me.

I looked at the letter in my right hand, "I'll never forget you. Merry Christmas."

I looked at the box in my left hand. I flipped it open, watching the ring reflect the icicle lights.

Merry Christmas, Kara. Kiss my ass.