Status: The epilogue is up and posted. Thanks for reading, lovelies!

Blue Moon

Mended Hearts and Broken Bonds

Days turned sluggish, as I waited for some indication that Will was safe. I've noticed now that my birthday is two weeks away...two weeks. Today though was Lucia's funeral that Mr. Donner payed for. It was a small funeral, only with me, Emily, Mr. Donner,and some of Lucia's distant family that was from out of town.

I stood there in a black dress, all appropriate attire for a funeral. Like a story out of a book, it was raining, pouring actually. I held the umbrella above my head and stared at the stark black casket in front of me. I knew Lucia deserved more than a rainy day on her funeral but she did get a nice gathering and ceremony.

Me and Emily have spoken few words and I'm beginning to think that Emily holds Lucia closer to her heart than I can imagine. I know Emily is strong but death can break down barriers like no other. She was on the other side of the casket I was, sniffling into the handkerchief. I didn't have one but yet, tears made their way down my face in promising speed. I felt so alone even though I was surrounded by people who loved Lucia.

One thing though I was happy to see is that my mother was no where in sight. I've been thinking about her lately, what's she's doing or even how's she doing. I know my mother and I know now, that she is not my mother. I needed to talk to Madame Gould or a witch. Witches were shy and didn't like to be bothered. They knew that they were more powerful than us mere humans but they also knew in groups, we could kill them quickly.

The service was monotone; almost as if the priest couldn't handle another funeral. Another family is mourning that he had to comfort. I got it, I didn't like the prospect of comforting others who were in mourning, I knew that it had to run it's course and go through the stages for people to finally reach acceptance.

“And now we have a moment of silence in remembrance of Lucia Bernhardt,” said the priest.

I bowed my head but did not pray. I was raised to believe but I just had no faith today, not after all that has happened within the pass months. The silence was deafening, the rain seemed to get louder and louder as it pounded against the ground.

“Now we depart in the name of the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen,” said the priest crossing his chest. He bowed his head and walked away while everyone stood their for a minute before turning and walking away.

It was me, Emily, and Mr. Donner who stood their. I saw Emily sobbing almost uncontrollably before I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her. She tried to brush me off but I refused,”Just stop be so hard headed and let me comfort you,” I said.

She turned and looked at me with a hard look, that faltered almost immediately. She turned completely and and buried her head in my shoulder sobbing. Mr. Donner caught my eye and nodded, going to go wait in the carriage.

I rubbed her back soothingly before she spoke,”I-I j-just miss he-her so mu-ch,” she cried.

“Me too,” I said closing my eyes letting a few tears roll down my cheeks.

I stared ahead at the forest in front of me blankly. I felt the sudden realization that Lucia was gone, never to be scene against. I started to cry suddenly, Emily sensing it and only holding on to me harder. “I really do miss her,” I said crying.

“I know you do,” she said, her sobbing dying down. She moved back sniffling,”I know what you said in the forest wasn't meant as offensive but I was just still in shock of it all and-.” “It's alright,” I said interrupting her apology.

“Good because those past days were horrid without you,” she said in a slight smile.

I smiled back but a flash of something in the forest caught my eye. I squinted and saw a body turn away, the back of it looking like Will.

“Will?” I whispered to myself.

“What?” asked Emily.

“I could have sworn I saw Will,” I said gesturing to the forest.

“You probably just miss him to much or are just going delusional,” she said.

“I think it's a combination of both,” I said smiling.

“Come on Mr. Donner waiting,” said Emily looking at the casket.

“We can come back and visit anytime,” I said reassuring her.

“I know,” she said starting to walk. I followed but took a glance back at the forest, I could have swore I saw Will.

The carriage ride back was silent but it wasn't awkward, it would be if me and Emily were still in a argument. When we arrived at the house I was immediately sent to Helen to get my bandages changed. My hand was no longer a fleshy feel, it was getting it's strength and look back but the bad side was that bruising was forming quickly due to the bone and muscle healing. My shoulder was starting to grow the missing tissue and skin back but had a vile puss like discharge coming out of it, that made me think that it would never heal. They were both sore and slightly swollen beyond belief but I managed the best I could.

After Helen was done tending to my hand and shoulder, I had nothing to do. I wasn't in the mood for reading, drawing, or even taking a walk. Ben I knew was again out on business, thank the Lord for that, but nonetheless had nothing to do. The idea of visiting my house popped up in my mind. I knew it wasn't a smart thought but I needed to know that my mother wasn't dead or gone crazy.

I walked to the front door and called to Emily I was going on a walk, in which I heard a faint reply of okay. I shut the door and inhaled the freshened air. I always thought as rain like a cleaner for the air, it always smelled new after a good rain. The hem of my still black dress got slightly damp and dirty from the muddy road to my house. It would take me a good thirty minutes to walk there but I needed the exercise to keep my strength up.

It was quite, with the exception of the chirping birds and the rustling of the trees. I felt my hair that was in a bun coming loose so I just unclasped it and let my hair fall down to it's mid-arm length. My hair was wavy or curlier more today than usual, it must have been the humility. I messed with the hair clip in my hand, nerves building up from now realizing that this was a bad idea. I studied it and smiled faintly, remembering that my father gave it to me from his trip to Great Britain. It was a simple but elegant clip. It had crystals in and swirled manner, with a silver lining that made it shine like the sun.

I was so in thought, that I didn't notice the person I ran into. I dropped the clip on accident. I bent down and picked it up and was ready to glare up at the person but instead my eyes went wide. “Will!” I exclaimed excitedly and threw my arms tightly around him.

Ignore the painI told myself.

I felt his arms slide around me in the same way, hugging me with the same feeling. I released him and frowned at the sight of how he looked.

”What happened to you?” I asked concerned. He didn't look beat up but he looked sickly, tired, with dark circles tracing faintly around his eyes.

“I haven't been getting much sleep,” he said.

“Will you need your rest,” I said disapprovingly.

“I know,” he said with no tone.

“What's wrong?” I asked knowing something else was wrong.

“The curse is taking it's toll,” he said.

“Did you change?” I asked shocked.

“I got to mad, to fast. It just happened from there. It happened yesterday actually,” he said.

“Will! Your weak after you transformation! What are you doing here?” I asked in disbelief.

“I had to make sure you were okay and get a few things from the guest house,” he said.

I sighed,”Will I'm fine for the most part,” I said honestly.

“What do you mean for the most part?” he asked curiously.

“Well it's a long story so how about you walk with me?” I offered.

He nodded and I started the argument between Emily and I, that we found Lucia dead in the woods, and saving the worst for last, that I was engaged to Ben. I hid my left hand, consciously aware that Will would spot the ring sooner or later. He nodded, noting he was still listening before I finally finish to the part up to this morning. “I'm sorry to hear about Lucia,” he said.

“I think I just already knew since she did come back or do anything for a week or two,” I said.

“Where are you going exactly?” he asked still walking.

“You won't like it,” I said picturing his reaction now in my head.

“What are you doing?” he asked in that tone that he knew it was already a stupid idea.

“I'm visiting my mother,” I said.

“Your kidding me right?” he asked stopping.

No,” I said simply.

“Eliza do I need to remind you what she did or are you asking for a death wish?” he asked pinching the bridge of his nose.

“I know what I'm doing Will. I just need to make sure she's well and I'll be gone,” I said.

“She will kill you,” he said.

“Will trust me, it's been weeks since she saw me. I think she would have regained some saneness back in her by now,” I said walking forward.

“If your going in there, I'm going with you,” he said stubbornly.

“No Will, that will just make her angry,” I said.

“Like she isn't going to be angry when she see you?” he asked pointing out.

“Will no,” I said in a stern tone.

“Then your not going in,” he said in sterner tone than I use.

“Will you don't get to decide that for me. Now if your that uncomfortable with this you can wait her until I come back,” I said stopping to look at him.

“Eliza I spent the whole time away worrying about you. Please do not make me worry more or I will go insane,” he said.

I stood there think for a minute...did I really want his to come in with me? No, definitely not but I did know I didn't want to be left alone with my mother. “Fine you can wait outside the house,” I said.

“How does that help?” he asked.

“If you hear me scream you'll know I'm in trouble,” I said walking again.

He groaned in irritation,”Please! I'm begging you, just let me go in with you,” he said pleadingly.

“Will,” I whined.

“Please,” he said showing every inch of worry he had on his face.

I sighed knowing I was going to regret it,”Fine but you will not talk. You will not even look at her,” I scowled seriously. “You will also stand behind me at all times and will not overreact to her actions,” I said seriously.

“As you wish,” he said smiling. I couldn't help but smile and roll my eyes at him.

My house came into view five minutes later and the butterflies made their rounds in my stomach. I guess Will could sense my tension and worry, when he came my hand a squeeze; sending chills down my spine. I looked at him and he gave me a assuring smile but I knew he was 100% against this. I came up to the front door and gulped, composing myself. I knocked on the door and waited with no sign of anyone answering the door. I knocked several times again, waiting for her to answer.

“I don't think-” Will started but the door suddenly swung open to reveal my very worn looking mother.

“Hello mother,” I said flatly.

“What are you doing here?” she spat at me.

“I came to see if you were alright, seeing you didn't bother to check up on me,” I retorted strongly, even though I was falling apart on the inside. S

he scoffed looking away,”I though you were good as dead,” she said icily.

That stung, I cannot lie about that. “Your my mother. How can you want me dead? Why did you change so suddenly? I don't understand...” I trailed off.

“I'm not your mother Elizabeth,” she said coldly.

“Yes you are! Why are you being like this?!” I practically yelled at her.

“I'm not you mother! You selfish, worthless girl!” she yelled raising her hand to slap me but Will stepped protectively in front of me and stopped her hand.

“Don't touch her,” he said darkly.

She yanked her hand from his grasp,”I better not see on this property ever again. You need to get through you small head that I am not your mother anymore,” she said.

It then clicked suddenly,”Your right your not,” I said.

Will looked at me confused,”Eli-” he said. I held my index finger up to stop him from talking and gave him a warning look and he nodded forcefully.

“Your a possessive spirit that has taken my mother away from me. It's a good thing I payed attention to my fathers rants isn't?” I said with swelling tears.

My 'mother' smiled devilishly,”Smart girl,” she said.

“Why her?” I asked.

“Why not? I was given orders to do so,” said the spirit in my mother.

“From whom?” I asked curious.

“You will never know that,” she hissed. I just stood there, looking at only the outer shell of my mother.

“Let's go,” I said to Will and turned around and started to walk away. I heard Will following behind me but didn't say a word. I felt tears of disappointment and hurt run down my face silently. I sniffled louder than I expected, giving away the fact I was crying. I felt Will come up next to me silently and wrap a arm lightly around my shoulders, mindful of my shoulder.

“I can't believe she's possessed,” I said quietly. Will didn't say anything so I looked up at him. He was giving me a look that held almost every emotion I was feeling.

We walked in silence and I thought about how I was going to tell him about Ben and I. I might as well just spit it out, since there's no way of putting it out there easily. “Will I have to tell you something,” I said.

“What would that be?” he said still looking straight ahead.

“Something else happened when you were gone that I know your going to be pretty livid about. I just want to tell you now though, I had no choice,” I said.

He unwrapped his arm from around me and stopped walking,”What is it?” he asked.

“The day after you left Ben came and visited me as I said and I told him I could not marry him. He then...snapped. He took over to his vampire state and demanded that I married him or it was my life. So in return, Ben and I are engaged,” I finished not looking at him.

I was afraid to look up at him,”I'm sorry, I just didn't want to die and-.” I started but I heard him walk off.

“Will?” I asked panicked at what he was going to do. His face was red from anger and his eyes were sharp and determined. “Will stop!” I called to him but he kept walking.

I ran up next to him, stumbling a bit,”Will I had no choice!” I said grabbing on to his arm to stop him.

He turned to face me,”I'm going to kill him,” he seethed.

I was taken aback,”Your not mad at me?” I asked surprised. I thought for sure he'd be at least irritated with me a little.

He fully turned and his face softened,”Why would I be mad at you? The bastard threatened to kill you when I specifically said not to ask you for you hand and-.” he started but he just said HE asked him.

“Whoa wait! You knew he was planning on marrying me?” I asked offended.

“Eliza I had no choice but to let him go. I'm not stronger than him until the day of the full moon,” he said trying to explain.

“But you still knew, you could have warned me or told me what Ben was before I got to involved with him!” I said looking down.

“Eliza I'm sorry,” he said apologizing.

“Will my life is already been gambled by my parents and I don't need it to be gambled by you as well,” I scolded.

“I thought I was protecting you,” he said gesturing to myself.

“From what? I was with him the whole time and you left,” I said shaking my head.

“I had to leave the town knows,” he said.

“That's a lie Will, the town has been calm,” I said picking at my nails.

“What do you mean?” he asked confused.

“Their haven't been any riots or anyone one knocking down Mr. Donner's door,” I said still slightly irritated with him.

“Emily said that everyone knew,” he said.

“I guess she was mistaken,” I shrugged thinking.

“I don't get it,” he said.

I thought hard; someone or that someone being Ben, was framing and messing with Will. He needs to leave town as much as it hurts, he really needs to move again. He's not safe here anymore. “Will I think you should just leave,” I said.

“Leave?” he asked confused.

“Well I mean let's take a look at this situation Will. Before we met my life was normal and uncomplicated. Then you came in and just messed it up. I have so much on my shoulders, more than you probably! I can barely last a week without getting hurt from Ben or falling down because my life is literally be sucked away. And you, well your life certainly isn't a jar of peaches,” I said trying to keep the lie going.

“Eliza-,” he said stepping forward.

“No Will,” I said backing up.

“Just go away. For the both of us. Move to a nice town far away and start a new life. Your life isn't going anywhere here and quite frankly I don't want you apart of mine anymore.” I said keeping my facade up.

His face read dejection but I knew I had to protect him from Ben and from myself. I turned away silently and started to walk, the gaping hole of guilt buried itself in my chest. I held back the tears of my own self hurt and kept walking, even though I could feel his stare burning it's way into my back.

What did I just do?
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited.

Comment? Subscribe?

Avec l'amour

-Mel♥