Status: The epilogue is up and posted. Thanks for reading, lovelies!

Blue Moon

Unfriendly Surprise

A knock on my door made me sit straight up. My candle was thankfully blown out and my book laid askew next to me. I swung open my closet door and walked over to my bedroom door and flung it open.

“It's time to get up miss,” said Emily.

I groggily rubbed my eyes,”Yes thank you Emily,” I said.

She curtsied and walked away down the hall. I shut my door and walked back into my closet picking up the candle and my book and set them back in their place. I walked back into my closet and pick out a deep purple dress that was fairly simple but also appropriate to wear during the day. I set it one my bed and stripped off my nightgown and folded it up and placed it on my bed. I stepped into it and put it on until I realized I would need a corset with this dress.

I waddled over to my door and poked my head out,”Lucia?” I called.

“Yes miss Rose?” asked Lucia coming out of my mother's room.

“I forgot I need a corset for this dress and you help me tie it on?” I asked.

“Of course miss,” said Lucia walking over to my room. I let her in and shut the door behind me.

“What corset dear?” called Lucia from my closet.

“Uh..just the white one would do,” I said back.

She came back out and I dropped my dress with my back to her. I put the corset around my torso.

“Not so tight today Lucia, I'm going to be sitting for most of the day,” I said.

“Yes miss Rose,” replied Lucia tightening the strings. I gripped the bed post and sucked in my stomach.

A couple minutes later she tied it up and stepped back,” Anything else?” she asked.

“Would you mind buttoning up the back of my dress?” I asked.

“No I wouldn't miss,” said Lucia. I stepped back into my dress and she buttoned it up.

“It's that all miss?” asked Lucia.

“Yes but Lucia you've been here since I can remember. Please call me by Elizabeth or what ever you want. Same goes for Emily,” I said.

“Okay Elizabeth,” she said smiling.

“Good then,” I said.

She exited my room as I sat down at my vanity to do my hair. I pinned off my hair to the side to let my curls fall down around my shoulder. I then powdered my face and applied the lip stain to my lips. I got up and grabbed my suitcase and my book and started to descend the stairs. I heard voice down near the kitchen and set my suitcase down at the door and walked toward the talking.

“Elizabeth good you're ready,” said my mother.

I nodded and noticed Mr. Donner standing next to her.

“Mr. Donner what a surprise to see you here,” I said confused.

“Yes I'm just here to drop my stable boy off for the trip,” he said.

My eyes almost bulged out of my head. “If I remember correctly Emily was the only one accompanying me on the trip,” I said.

“Well Elizabeth I just think it would be better if Will, the stable boy, would be with you. It's better protection.” said my mother.

“Mother you know very well I can protect myself,” I said as nicely as possible.

“Elizabeth I'm sorry dear that's just the way it is,” my mother said giving me the look of be quiet or else.

I rolled my eyes and picked my suitcase up and walked out the door. I saw the carriage pulled up front and the stable boy, or Will, tending to the horses. He noticed me walked out and rolled his eyes at me. I only glared. I walked up to him and tapped his shoulder. He turned around with a bit of a scowl on his face.

I smiled sweetly for a split second before shoving my suitcase at him. “Take care of this stable boy,” I said meanly.

He scoffed before he tossed it up to on top of the carriage only for it to fall back down,”Oh whoops us stable boys just aren't as smart as you classy people,” he said picking my suitcase up.

I glared at him angrily. I. Hate. This. Boy. Hate is a strong word but I mean every word of it. I was about to retort when heard my mother and Mr. Donner exiting the house. I turned and waited for my mother to come over and say her goodbyes. Emily came out with Lucia behind them. I saw Emily hug Lucia goodbye. I didn't want to even be near this boy.

I walked over to Emily and Lucia.

“Thank you Emily for agreeing to come with me,” I said.

“Oh no problem Mis- I mean Elizabeth,” she said.

I smiled, “The boy over there will take care of you suitcase,” I said lazily gesturing to him.

“Okay thank you,” she said.

“Keep my mother sane while I'm gone. I don't think we've been apart from each other for once in my life,” I said to Lucia smiling a bit.

“Don't worry she'll still be intact when you get back,” she said. I hugged her goodbye and walked over to my mother.

“Elizabeth I can personally promise you that you'll be in good hands on you trip,” said Mr. Donner.

“Thank you for the reassurance Mr. Donner,” I said, even though it was his horrid attitude that was making me hate him.

I turned to my mother. “Time for me to leave mother,”I said hugging her.

“Promise me you'll be careful,” she said hugging me tightly.

“I promise,” I said.

“Make sure you make it to you-know-who also my dear,” she said.

“I'll make sure of it mother,” I said.

“Okay then,” said my mother holding both sides of my face. She kissed my check lightly,”Okay now go. I'll see you soon Elizabeth,” said my mother.

“Farewell then,” I said walking to the carriage.

I saw Will standing there. Why is he there? He held his hand out. Oh yeah I need he to step in. I reluctantly took his hand and stepped in. He slightly rolled his eyes, once again I might add, and climbed but to the reigns.

I looked out the window and waved to my mother and felt the shift of the horses pulling the carriage away.

I turned and face Emily,” We have quite a trip ahead of us,” I said.

I remembered my book. Darn it, I looked around me and surprisingly spotted it next to me. It looks like Will have a tiny shred of common courtesy in him. I picked it up and opened my mark.

“That's a splendid book,” said Emily.

“Oh I know! It's addicting, I can't put it down!” I said in agreement.

“I couldn't either,” she said smiling.

“Don't tell anyone but I have to say, Mr. Darcy sounds absolutely dreamy,” I said. “He's so misunderstood! His character story is most intriguing!” I said excitedly.

Emily giggled a bit,”Oh I can vouch for that,” she said.

We soon fell into a conversation about the book and gossip like the girls we were. I could see me and Emily becoming very good friends.

Before I knew it the carriage came to a halt in front of a building. I saw Will hop off and go talk to a man waiting.

I glared a bit. “You don't like him very much do you?” asked Emily laughing a bit at my expression. “It'd take a blind person not to figure that out,” I said laughing a bit. “I can tell you it's not prejudice, but it's his attitude. It makes my skin crawl,” I said. Emily didn't get to say anything more when the door opened. “Ladies,” said Will. I scoffed a bit at his nice act. Emily climbed out first with me behind her. Will held out his hand once again but I ignored him and hopped out gracefully.

“Look us classy people can do something ourselves,” I said sarcastically.

Will glared at me and I turned around to a snickering Emily. “That wasn't very nice Elizabeth” she said.

“He pulled the same attitude earlier. He was asking for it,” I said.

We walked into the entrance of the small hotel and to the front desk.

“Can I help you?” asked a man.

“Yes can I have a room please?” I asked.

“It's five dollars a night,”he said. I grimaced but pulled out a five dollar bill from the back of my book where my money was. I handed him the bill as he handed me the key.

“You have room 164, enjoy,” he said monotonously.

As we were turning around Will entered the hotel and spotted us. He walked towards us,”He looks in a fowl mood,” whispered Emily.

“He's always in a fowl mood it seems,” I said.

“Did you pay already?” he asked. “Yes,” I said grabbing my suitcase from him.

“Hey! I can carry that,” he said.

“I don't know before we left you seemed quite incapable of handling one,” I said turning around and walking away with Emily.

Will's Point of View

I glared daggers into her back. That girl got deep under my skin...and I mean deep. I huffed and followed after them. They climbed the stairs chatting. I didn't even know the room number or how many rooms see got. About the third floor they turned and walked down the hallway. They stopped in front of room 164 and put the key in and opened the door.

The room was small and musky. “This has to be a mistake. The rooms I heard were bigger than this,” said Elizabeth.

“Well nice going,” I said tossing her suitcase down by the door.

“As if this was my fault! You did go to the right hotel right? I know you stable boys don't get out much,” she said.

If she was only a boy, she would be dead by now.

I turned to her,”I don't know you classy girls seem a bit...dense” I retorted.

She rolled her eyes and walked over to the small bed and sat down. She took her gloves and hat off exposing her curly hair. Even though I disliked this girl with a passion, she was beautiful.

Emily walked over and sat next to her. “Well it seems we only have a bed and a small couch,” she said.

Elizabeth looked around the room. “I can take the couch,” she said.

This surprised me, rarely did a lady give up the bed.

“No I can take the couch,” I offered. It was common courtesy for the man to offer up to sleep in the uncomfortable place.

“Nonsense you can sleep with the horses,” she said.

Before I could retort Emily spoke up. “No I can take the couch I have a smaller frame and it'd be easier for me to sleep on it than you two,” she said settling the fight that was threatening to form.

“If you don't mind,” said Elizabeth.

“Not at all,” said Emily patting her hand.

“Will you can take the floor,” said Elizabeth.

“Are you sure? I've never slept inside before,” I said with fake enthusiasm.

“If you want to be one with natural and you horses no ones stopping you,” she said.

“No I'll take it,” I said.

She walked pass me and picked her suitcase up and set it next to the dresser provided in the room.

“Emily you can have the dresser in return for sleeping on the couch,” Elizabeth said.

“Thank you,” said Emily.

“What time is it?” asked Elizabeth turning to me.

“Oh that's right you never learned how to tell time,” she said.

I opened my mouth to retort but I decided to just let it slide. She took a quick look at the clock on the wall,”It's a quarter to twelve,” she said turning around and settling her things into place.

I looked at the clock then Elizabeth amusement,”Don't you mean a quarter to eleven?” I asked leaning against the wall.

“What are you talking about?” she asked looking at the clock. Her face contoured into a mix of embarrassment and annoyance.

“Just be quiet,” she said.

“Did I say anything?” I asked.

“No, but I can tell you want to,” she said.

“Oh yes I have lots and lots to say,” I said with a edge in my voice.

She sighed irritably and continued to settle her things in place. About 10 minutes later she sighed and turned around.

“I'll be back,” she said reaching down and grabbing her gloves.

“Wait where are you going?” I asked.

“To the reason we came here,” she said.

“Well I have to go with you,” I said.

“No your not going with me. This is a private manner,” she said.

“Look I got payed to stay with you and drive the carriage here. I'm doing my job,” I said.

“Let's just say you did,” she said walking to the door. “Goodbye,” she said walking out before I could say anything else.

“You should follow her,” said Emily.

“No she's right let her handle it by herself,” I said sitting on the bed.

“I would agree if she wasn't going to a dangerous part of town. And the private matter I heard is quite stressful on her,” she said with concern.

I sighed,”Fine. Will you be okay here?” I asked.

“Yes perfectly fine,” she said.

“Okay then I'll be back,” I said walking out. I walked down the hall and started down the stairs. I soon caught up to a couple yards behind her. She had a piece of paper in her hands and kept looking at it intently. She took a lot of turns. She was finally walking down a street with a big sign reading, REDFORD'S CARNIVAL, in big letters. Why is she at a carnival? Is this why we came here? For a damn carnival? I was about to fully catch up with her until I notice a nervous face become etched across her features. She also was strangling the life out of her gloves.

Why is she so nervous?

She looked at the piece of paper once again is looked at the address of a small house that had a fortune teller sign in the yard. I went and hid behind a tree so see couldn't see me. She walked up the steps and raised her hand to knock on the door but lowered it immediately. I saw her take a deep breath as if she was telling herself to calm. She knocked on the door and waited. Soon a elderly woman opened the door. Elizabeth started talking and the elderly woman’s face went into recognition and motioned her in.

What is Elizabeth up to?
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited.

Comment? Subscribe? Please? :)

Avec l'amour

Mel♥

P.S. Subscribe and/or Comment? I think you should :)