Status: The epilogue is up and posted. Thanks for reading, lovelies!

Blue Moon

Masked Identity

I woke the next morning and felt a little better than yesterday. I slowly got up and climbed out of bed. I supported myself against anything next to me as I made my way to Lucia's room. Emily had found out what happened and she almost went to kill my Mother but Lucia reasoned with her before she did anything stupid. I started down the stairs, taking the steps one by one.

“Can't even walk down the stairs. How pathetic,” said my Mother's cruel voice from behind me.

I gritted my teeth in anger,”Well it is after all your fault for making me like this,” I said turning my head to glare at her.

She came down to match my step and looked me straight in the eye. She looks different, her eyes were dead. She had no love in them or the happy sparkle that was always in them. “You will act as if nothing happened, go to the masquerade tonight and you will find a suitable husband. If you fail to do so I will disown you and spread the word that your are cursed and will not stop the town of what they will do to you,” she said so calmly it was scary.

“Anything for you oh dear, loving mother of mind,” I said sarcastically.

My mother kicked a foot off the step and stumbled forward almost falling, my back twisted slightly to keep my balance. I almost grunted in pain but I didn't want to give her the satisfaction of her causing me more pain.

“I wouldn't push me. Your no better than the ground I walk on as far as I'm concerned right now,” she hissed at me.

I glared at her and I almost lost it right then and there. I composed myself and continued down the stairs as my Mother brushed past me. I felt on the verge of crying but I knew my Mother would only punish me once again. I had to stay strong, even if it meant the breaking down of myself.

Later in the day Lucia came in and told me my Mother wanted me to bathe before the masquerade tonight. I was in Lucia and Emily's room getting undressed. “I don't want to go. Right now I want her to disown me, she's not my mother anymore,” I said.

“Rose you'll always have some family here,” she said. I knew she was talking about her and Emily.

I smiled for the first time in a while,”Thank you Lucia,” I said hugging her.

“Let's get you cleaned up now,” she said.

I stepped into the waiting water and my lashes burned in protest but I knew I had to bathe. Lucia carefully washed me and cleaned my lashes. I stepped out after she was done and dried off. I did feel much better, cleaner actually. I knew my lashes would probably feel better now from being properly washed.

“We need to get you in your dress,” she said.

I groaned in irritation. How was I suppose to act normal if I had a corset cutting circulation off my lashes? I was definitely going to get disowned tonight. Lucia came over with the dress and I had to say, it was gorgeous. The top was an off white, almost champagne color, with pieces of what looked like crystals on the top and decreased as it got further down to the skirt start. The skirt part was layered. The layers started small and got bigger as it was closer to the end. They were a silvery color and was outlined a deep blue and had blue crystals specking the bottom. It must of cost a fortune.

“Did my mother buy this?” I asked.

“No dear Mr. Donner did,” she said.

“I cannot wear this, it's just to much,” I said.

“It what your expected to wear dear,” said Lucia.

“Alright,” I said walking over to her.

She started to put my corset on and had my back covered with some cloth to keep it a bit patted and so if it bled, no blood would get on the corset. She started tying it and held in a cry of pain as it got tighter.

“Lucia I can't do this,” I said almost crying.

“I cannot make it looser dear,” she said sympathetically.

“I won't be able to walk normally! I probably can't walk at all,” I said.

“You must dear,” said Lucia holding the dress in front of me. I stepped into it and Lucia pulled it up. It fit perfectly and it wasn't much tighter than the corset already was.

“Time for you hair and makeup,” Lucia said leading me to my room.

I saw Emily sitting on my bed,”Oh Eliza! That dress is beautiful! It brings out your eyes,” she said gushing.

I smiled at her,”Thank you Emily,” I said sitting down at my vanity.

Lucia and Emily worked at my hair and makeup for a good hour it seemed. When I was done I looked in the mirror and was relieved to see I looked normal. My hair was curled and pinned up with pins with fake pearls at the ends littered my hair. I had some silver eye makeup and pink lip stain. Lucia came up and handed me the mask. The mask was the same color as the top of the dress but had blue sequins on it.

“It's beautiful,” I said.

“You'll look lovely Rosy,” said Lucia squeezing my shoulders.

“Thank you, both of you,” I said squeezing her hand on one of my shoulders.

After I was ready I left my room and could already hear my mother rushing about the house getting ready. I could barely walk without my back screaming. I got to the bottom of the steps and waited by the door for my mother. I went and got my over coat and put it on because Lucia warned me it was to get chilling out tonight. My mother came rushing around the corner and grabbed her over coat and put it on. I thought she might compliment me or even throw in a comment but she just walked past me without a glance and walked out the door.

I rolled my eyes and opened the door,”You look beautiful dear! Have a good time you deserve it!” I heard Lucia from the top of the stairs.

I turned and smiled and walked out the door. I climbed into the carriage and sat across from my mother. The silence was deafening, the tension in the air, a knife was a understatement as in what you could cut it with. I didn't glance at her the entire trip to Mr. Donner’s house, I just stared out the window. On arrival I was about to open the door but my mother stopped me.

“Don't forget what I said earlier,” she said in a warning tone.

I nodded and opened the door and climbed out. People were already buzzing about the mansion and the yard. I took a deep breath and told myself over and over to act natural. I walked into the mansion and was greeted by Mr. Donner.

“Elizabeth my dear you look lovely,” he said.

“Thank you Mr. Donner. And thank you again for the dress, it's really to much,” I said truly thankful.

“Oh nonsense dear! You fully deserve it,” he said smiling at me. A man came up and took my over coat from my hands and I suddenly felt naked in a crowded room.

“Dear how about you go mingle with the guests,” said my mother in a forced nice tone.

“Yes mother,” I said politely and walked away.

I weaved through the people and it seemed nobody knew who I was, so how was I suppose to find a guy?

“Ladies and Gentlemen!” boomed Mr. Donner's voice from the stairs. I turned and looked at him, wondering what he was doing.

“I would like to thank you all for coming,” he started. “This masquerade is being held for I person I hold close to me, a Ms. Elizabeth Mansfield!” he said gesturing at me.

I felt the blush rise up my cheeks as everyone’s eye's were on me. “Elizabeth her is in need to be wed by her next birthday and we through this party for her to help out,” he said. Everyone murmured in agreement. “I would like to wish everyone a good time and a night of relaxation,” he said stepping down of the stairs. Everyone applauded him while I just kind of stood there awkwardly not know whether to walk or stay in place. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to see a handsome looking guy in front on me.

I smiled politely and he spoke,”Je m' appelle Pierre Gusteau,” he said in French, I think. I just stayed quiet because I had no idea what he was saying.”Parlez-vous Francais?” he asked.

“Uh...no?” I said hesitantly.

He looked at confused. “Je suis désolée monsieur, elle ne parle pas français. Vous pouvez aller maintenant,” said a new voice behind me. Pierre scoffed a bit and walked off.

“That guy is no good,” said the guy in English.

I turned and smiled at him. He had dark hair that was smoothed back and I could see the light green eyes he had behind his mask.”Thank you. I had no idea what he was saying,” I said.

“He asked if you spoke French, which was a obvious no,” he said.

I chuckled a bit,”Yes not a speck of French,” I agreed.

“I'm Elizabeth,” I said.

He took my hand and kissed it,”It's a pleasure to meet you Elizabeth, I'm Ben Young.” he said introducing himself.

I blushed a little,”Nice to meet you too,” I said.

“I hear you are needing to be wed by next month is that right?” he asked taking a sip of the champagne in his hand.

”Yes my mother and I are in need of money and I'm of age to marry so naturally I'm the one of my mother and I to get married,” I said.

“No father?” he asked curiously.

“He died some years ago,” I said.

“I'm sorry to hear that. I lost my mother when I was ten I believe,” he said sympathetically.

“Oh I'm sorry,” I said.

“Oh it's in the past. I've accepted it,” he said.

“That's good to hear. It took me awhile to accept my father's death because it was so sudden,” I said.

“Oh well my mother's death was a long time coming and I knew she was at peace once she died,” he said.

I smiled slightly at him. I liked this guy already. “How about we move on to a more cheerful topic?” I asked.

He laughed a little,”Yes I suppose it isn't conversation material,” he said.

“How do you know Mr. Donner?” I asked.

“He is my father's brother in-law,” he said. “Really?” I asked shocked.

“You look surprised,” he said.

“It's just I know his nephew and now another relative is here,” I said.

“Who is his nephew?” he asked curious.

“His name is Will-” I said but he interrupted.

“Ah yes Will! He's a troubled man,” he said sadly.

“How so?” I asked curious, but I think I already knew why.

“His life was yanked from out under him. He use to be higher class like me and Mr. Donner but his father gambled it all away.” he said.

I didn't know that,”Oh how terrible,” I said.

“Yes it gets worst to. His father's gambling problem caused his mother to leave them and in return his father's gambling got worse and he was eventually in debt and got murder for owning someone money,” he said.

“Oh my gosh! That's horrible,” I said shocked.

“Will is a good person but I haven't scene him in ages,” he said.

I got an idea then,”He's here you know,” I said.

“Really? Where might I find him?” he asked.

“I'll bring you to him,” I said.

“Lead the way by all means,” he said gesturing ahead of me. I smiled and turned to start walking towards the door. We left the party as I continued walking towards the stables.

“How do you know Will?” he asked.

I smiled at the first time we met. “I'm over here often and we got into a argument and now were I guess I could say friends,” I said.

He chuckled a bit,”Will can be a hot head,” he said but I knew it could have two meanings.

We got to the stables and I told Ben to wait for a second so I could go get Will. I entered the stables and didn't see him,”Will?” I called.

“Elizabeth?” I heard him say in the loft above me.

I looked up,”I have a visitor for you,” I said.

He came into view and his step faltered for a second when he caught sight of me before he climbed down the ladder and walked over to me. “Who?” he asked confused.

“Does Ben Young ring a bell?” I asked.

“Yes it does,” he said in a almost unhappy tone.

“He's outside and he wants to talk with you,” I said.

He sighed and walked past me and I followed behind him. Ben smirked when he saw him,”I'll be damned! Will how are you?” he asked holding his hand out.

Will walked up to him and shook his waiting hand,”I'm not to bad. You?” he asked.

“Couldn't be better,” said Ben.

“I'll leave you two to talk my mother will have fit if she finds out I left my own party,” I said. Will's eyes flickered to mine and I saw the concern in them. I gave him a reassuring smile.

“I'll catch up with you Elizabeth,” said Ben. I smiled and walked back up towards the house to talk to awaiting guests.

Will's Point of View

Ben stared after Elizabeth for a second before turning his attention back to me. “She's something so far Will,” said Ben.

I knew Ben, he was a chaser. He hooked on to women and then lost interest in the before a second outing with them but I knew Ben, when he lost interest that usually meant those women were dead.

“Sure is,” I said in agreement.

“How's the problem treating you,” asked Ben. He never said curse because he didn't want to risk anyone hearing.

“I'm getting use to it but it's always a problem,” I said.

“Does she know?” he asked.

“Yeah she does.” I said.

“And she's not running away screaming? That's a women there,” he said.

I cracked a smile,”Yeah but she was scared for awhile it seemed like when she did find out,” I said remembering that day.

“How did she find out?” he asked.

“I was trying to get rid of a traveling vampire and I had her but she got me pretty beat up and she ran off. I thought I lost her when I heard a scream and it turned out to be Elizabeth. I got a hold of her and killed her but the thing is that I was in my full human state and Eliza saw my eyes and the veins and she was scared. She asked what I was and I told her. From then on she's be good with it,” I said.

“So the vampire attacked her?” he asked simply, almost uninterested.

“She bit into her and drank some of her blood,” I said.

“Poor girl, must have been frightened out of her mind,” he said.

“Looked like it,” I said.

“I don't get though how your friends with her. I know you Will, your not a people person,” he said.

Correction, he thought he knew me.“She just got through to me because we have more in common than we thought,” I said trying not to give away her curse. “I like her,” said Ben.

“You like anything walking and with a pulse Ben,” I said. He scoffed at he double meaning,” I mean it this time though. She seems like my type of girl,” he said.

He was wrong, Elizabeth is everyone's type of girl. I didn't like that Ben liked her, it didn't sit right with me. He's told me many times how he actually “liked” a girl, and it never ended well. “I'm telling you know Ben if you hurt her, I will personally come after you and beat the shit out of you,” I said threatening.

He raised an eyebrow,”That a threat Will?” he asked.

“What else did it sound like Ben? A suggestion?” I said irritated.

“Will you should know now I'm not scared of you. Hell, I'm just as strong as you,” said Ben.

I glared at him, Ben was never a good friend or cousin for that matter,”Why are you even here Ben?” I asked changing the subject.

“I was invited,” he said. “

Why aren't you in there Will? Oh right your the stable boy, you'd stink up the place,” Ben said. I knew he was trying to make me snap so he could expose me like he did last time. I still don't know why I forgave him for that.

“It's like you want a death wish Young,” I said angered.

“Oh were moving to last name threats now. How original,” said Ben glaring at me.

“I think you should leave,” I said trying to calm myself down.

“Nah I'm fine just where I am,” he said.

“Fine then I'll leave,” I said turning away from Ben.

“I'll tell you how it goes with Elizabeth, she looks like a feisty one,” said Ben from behind me. That made me furious, he knew now that I cared for Elizabeth.

He smirked tauntingly at me,”Like I said she sure is something. Can you fathom the idea of being married to her? You could do absolutely anything to her and not get in trouble, or charged for anything,” he said.

I knew what he was getting at, I could already feel my body racking up my blood pressure. “I know your mother was, let's say...scrumptious. At least that is what I heard.” he said licking over his teeth. I took a step forward in a threatening manner. “I know that Elizabeth will be oh so delicious also, if not more. Can you picture it? Her crimson blood running down her neck, into my waiting mouth? To bad she'll be long gone when I'm done with her,” he said.

I snapped, I lurched forward and tackled him to the ground. I felt my wolf side take over, I was blinded with rage. Ben's fangs hung from his mouth as his eyes turned pitch black. I punched him in the jaw and face repeatedly before he threw me back into the stables. He flew towards me in his speed but I hopped up before he got me and grabbed him by the neck. I tightened my grip and I knew his trachea was under pressure and could snap any second. I threw him hard down onto the ground and stomped on his arm.

“Get out of here before I kill you,” I growled at him. He got up and bared his teeth at me before he sped out of the stable. I took deep breaths to calm myself before I started a transformation like I did a week or so ago.

“Will?” I heard Elizabeth call.

I immediately calmed down knowing that Ben didn't go to her. I heard her enter the stable. “Will where did Ben go I wanted to talk to him still,” she said.

I turned and my breath was almost taken away like the first time I saw her. She looked so beautiful. “Will,” she said snapping me out of my thoughts.

“I don't know he just walked off towards the house,” I said lying.

“Will your bleeding,” she said slightly concerned. She walked over to examine the cut that I didn't notice on my arm.

“What happened?” she asked.

“I must have done it while cleaning the stalls,” I said.

“Okay,” she said but I could tell she didn't believe me.

“Make sure you bandage that up before it gets infected. Also if Ben comes back send him my way please,” she said smiling.

I could tell she liked him but I didn't want to ruin it for her, I knew it was the first time she has been near happy in a while.

“Will do,” I said.

“Thank you,” she said and turned to walked away. I saw her walk in pain, her walk was off but I knew she was trying so her mother wouldn't do anything else. If Elizabeth ever told me to go kill her mother, I would do it in a heartbeat because that is exactly what I want to do to her. Hell at this point, I would throw myself under a horse or take the next whipping or injury for her at this point. I just wanted her to be safe, that's all I wanted.

Elizabeth Point of View

I walked around and didn't find Ben anywhere. I signed in disappointment, what was I suppose to do now? I walked around the party and looked for someone to talk to. “Looking for me?” I heard Ben's voice from behind me.

I turned a smiled,”I was but I figured if you wanted to talk again you would find me,” I said.

“Well I found you,” he said and smirked at me.

My stomached flipped, his smile could make the sky shine on a cloudy day. “How did your talk with Will go?” I asked.

saw a flash of anger in his eyes,”He's the same old Will, always a hard headed,” he said.

“What did he do?” I asked.

“Played me for a fool basically. You know how Will is, he knows how to ruin a moment,” he said.

“Yes that I do know,” I said in agreement.

Ben looked around,”Would you like to go for a walk?” he asked. “It's a bit stuffy in here,” he said.

“I would love to,” I said. We walked out into the garden and in the maze. Me and Ben talked about nothing particular, just random subjects. I fancy him quite a lot, I think he fancy's me to. “That's why I can never go over to London again,” he said finishing a story. “Wow, so your know all through London just because you refused to pay for over priced tab,” I said in disbelief.

“Yes, he was a retched old man. He was cheap to,” he said smiling.

I laughed,”I don't really have an exciting life,” I said lying a little.

“I'm sure there's something exciting that has happened in you life,” he said reassuringly.

“Well there is this time when I was eight and my father was still alive. My father loved to learn and study the most absurd subjects but I couldn't help but find an interest in it also. Once every month my father would take me down to the ocean shore and we would go swimming. My mother didn't approve because of the mermaids down there. I was out pretty deep and I mermaid came up beside me, she was beautiful. She didn't seem like the other mermaids, who were mischievous and vindictive, she seems genuinely nice and honest. She took my hand and turned it around and examined it. She looked at me and without a word swam away. I was scared of course of being pulled under but I knew my father was keeping an eye on me. Suddenly she came back up with something in her hand, she had a clam with her. I asked what it was and all she said was something very dear to her and that she could no longer have it. She opened it and revealed a pearl. It was a huge pearl at that to at that. She set it in my hands and swam away. She just gave a me a pearl for no reason and swam off. To this day I still have the pearl but I will never know why she gave it to me,” I said looking back at the memory.

“That's amazing considering mermaids a little devils,” he said.

“I almost want to go back there and just see if she comes back,” I said.

“You should one day, many you would get some answers,” he said.

“That though is about as exciting my life gets,” I said.

“Well it almost beats out my tab story and that says something,” he joked.

I chuckled,”Why haven't you ever visited before,” I said mostly to myself.

“Well I live in New York,” he said.

“New York really? I've always wanted to go there,” I said.

“It's really is something to see. Businesses are booming and people you couldn't imagine litter the place,” he said.

“It sounds amazing,” I said.

“You should visit something. I would love to show you around,” he said.

“I would love that,” I said.

We walked in silence for a while,”How long are you here?” I asked. “For two weeks,” he said. “That's nice. I'm sure Mr. Donner is excited to have some company,” I said.

“You could say he's speechless that I made time to visit,” he said.

We walked back up to the party which was winding down to a close. “Elizabeth would you like to accompany me for lunch tomorrow?” he asked.

I smiled,” I would love to Ben,” I said.

“Perfect,” he said. He kissed my cheek,”I have to go now but be here by let's say noon,” he said.

I blushed,”I'll be here,”I said smilingly.

“See you then,” he said and walked away. I wanted to spin around and scream, Ben was perfect. Absolutely perfect, he was funny, smart, clever, exciting, and just everything I wish I would be. He was my other half. Maybe I was wrong. Will isn't the one, it was Ben. I just hope I'm right, so this curse can end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited.

Comment? Subscribe?

Avec l'amour

-Mel♥