Trust in Me

Two

Although she had lived with Jack before they got married, they had agreed that once they did get married they would move into a house. Michelle had left the time off work and so she spent most of her day unpacking parts of the house and attempting to make it a real home. The only rooms that were completely done were the master bedroom, the bathroom in the mater bedroom, the downstairs bathroom, the living room and half of the kitchen. That was the bad thing about moving during pre-season, there was no help in getting everything set up. Jack had practices and games to think about as well as get adjusted to having a bigger place to live.

After she finished up in the kitchen, Michelle checked the clock on the coffee maker since the new stove that Jack ordered wasn't supposed to get there until Wednesday afternoon. All week Jack had been coming home around the same time and that was two hours from now. With a sigh, Michelle grabbed the plastic bag out of her purse as she hurried up the stairs and towards the bedroom. Once inside she walked into the bathroom and shut the door with her foot as she opened the package. Thinking back to what she and Jack had talked about after they had finished setting up the bedroom didn't ease the nerves she was feeling as she took the home pregnancy test.

Laying down with her eyes shut, Michelle let out a sigh as she felt the bed sink next to her. “Did you finish setting up everything in the living room?”

“Yeah, Dustin had to leave though. He said he checked on you and said you were sleeping slacker.”

“Yeah, okay, I'm the slacker who finished three rooms before you finished one and you had help,” Michelle said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “But whatever helps you sleep at night, baby.”

“So I think that we should turn that second guest room into a baby room.”

Opening her eyes, she turned and looked at him. “Jack, we don't have any kids. I thought you wanted to get a dog before we start on creating a family.”

“So are you saying that if we get a dog we can start trying?”

“That isn't what I said,” Michelle said as she sat up. “The season is just starting and I'm gonna have to go back to work full time so I don't think now is a good time for this.”

“What about a dog?”

“Are you gonna walk it and feed it?” Michelle asked. “Raising and training a dog is a big responsibility since we both know there is no way we are getting one of those small ones.”

“So is that a yes?”

“How about you help me unpack the rest of the house and we'll talk about it later?”

Grabbing her waist, Jack pulled Michelle down so that she was laying next to him. He wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close to him. Laying her head down on his chest, Michelle let her eyes close. “I still think it would be a good idea to wait until everything is settled and not when I'm expected to go back to work full time next week.”

“The house isn't even all unpacked.” Jack said.

“I'm working on it,” Michelle sighed. “But it isn't as if we have a small house and I'm kinda doing all the work since you've started training for the season. If Nicole can find someone to watch the boys, I think I'm gonna ask her to come over and help. I really need it.”

“I think the house is coming along great.”

“You have to say that,” Michelle told him as she moved her head so she looked at him before laying her head back down on his chest. “You've done one whole room.”

“And I helped with the bedroom.”

“If you say so.”


After taking the test, she closed the lid to the toilet and waited for the response. Jumping in surprise when the bathroom door opened. Looking into his confused eyes, a grin crept upon his face. “So this must be from when you did that thing with your finger. Baby, that caught me off guard, you know how hard I came. There was no chance of me pulling out.”

Grabbing the bottle of body wash off the side of the tub, Michelle threw it at Jack. Moving out of the way, he just laughed and walked further into the bathroom. “This isn't the time, just get out of here.”

“Were you gonna tell me?” Jack asked, pulling his wife off the seat and taking her spot before pulling her onto his lap and wrapping his arms around her waist.

“I wanted to wait until I knew for sure so I wasn't being paranoid about it.”

“We can deal with it whatever the case maybe,” Jack said kissing her shoulder. “This isn't the first time that we've had to wait for a test to tell us if there is a mini me inside you.”

“I really don't think we are ready for a baby,” Michelle sighed. “Things are good right now. And I do want kids someday, but I just want to be selfish right now and keep you to myself.”

“Just remember that this isn't the end of the world,” Jack told her as he moved her hair over her shoulder and kissed the back of her neck. “We will just be getting an early start on building our own hockey team.”

Michelle leaned back as she laughed as she placed her hands on top of Jack's. “That test will change everything.”

“But not in the way that thing will change too much. If you are pregnant, then you are and we start making your appointments around the hockey schedule so that I can go with you.”

“Don't you think we are getting ahead of ourselves?” Michelle asked. “We don't even know if I am.”

“Are you ready to know?”

Taking a deep breath, Michelle leaned over towards the counter where the test was laying on the top of the box and grabbed it. Feeling Jack rest his head on her shoulder, she looked at the test before closing her eyes and leaning her head into her husband's. “Not pregnant.” Releasing the breath she had been holding since coming into the bathroom to take the test.

“How do you feel?” Jack asked.

“Part of me is relieved,” Michelle told him. “But there is this other part of me that is a little disappointed.”

“Are you maybe changing your mind?” Jack asked as he let her get to get feet.

“I'm not sure.”

Once she got to her feet, she tossed the test into the small trash basket and opened the cabinet and placed the box with the second test on a shelf with some of her other stuff. Closing the door, she walked out of the bathroom and laid down on the bed. “Baby...”

“I just don't know how I feel right now,” Michelle said as she felt his arms wrap around her. “I think I'm just – I don't really know what I am at the moment.”

“Babe, I know the wheels in your head are turning,” Jack whispered. “Don't leave me guessing.”

“What if we stopped using protection? What if we try without trying?” Michelle whispered. “If it happens, then it happens.”

“It sounds like we have a plan and plenty of time to figure everything out,” Jack told her. “We are having dinner with Kenzie and Brad tonight.”

“I thought we were going somewhere tonight.”

“We are,” Jack said as he sat up. “So you have to get ready. Dress casual.”

“Can we stay right here for a few minutes?” Michelle asked. “Please?”

“Sure.”

Arriving at his teammate's condo, Jack knocked on the door. When the door opened, the couple smiled at Brad's girlfriend Kenzie. Brad and Kenzie had been together for two and a half years. “Brad says that you owe him, Jack.” Kenzie told him as she let them into the apartment.

“For what?” Michelle asked, slightly confused.

“Nothing,” Jack said. “Don't worry about it.”

“Yeah, cause that'll happen.” Michelle said as she rolled her eyes and sat down on the couch in the main room.

“Learn some patience, baby.”

Michelle watched as Jack walked off towards the back room.

“So did you take the test?” Kenzie asked as she sat in the recliner across from where Michelle was sitting.

“Yeah,” Michelle laughed. “And Jack walked right in on me waiting for the results. I had the bathroom door closed, but he just walked right in.”

“I think he was hoping to catch you naked.”

“I don't doubt that,” Michelle said. “We made a decision about it today. After we found out that I'm not pregnant, we are gonna throw away the birth control and see what happens. What about you two?”

“I'm already there,” Kenzie laughed. “Brad and I are expecting.”

“Kenzie!” Michelle laughed in surprise. “I'm so happy for you two.”

“So you told her?” Brad asked coming into the room. He gave Michelle a hug before taking a seat on the other side of the couch. “How are you?”

“She did tell me and I'm good. Not pregnant.”

“Congrats?” Brad asked.

“Michelle.” Jack said walking into the room with his arms with a blonde labrador puppy.

“Jack, what did you do?”

“I got us a new member of the family,” Jack said. “And you get to name him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
There is the second chapter! Let me know what you think!!