Aim High, Never Rest

Weightless

My hands brushed gently against the leather handle of the seat as the shade-wearing, dark skinned man sat down behind the desk across from me. I examined him carefully. If he was going to be in charge of us, he might as well prove himself worthy. I'm not going to tolerate getting bossed around by some wimp who really has no idea what their doing. Hawk needs to know what he's doing 100% of the time.

"Maxine Johnson, Collin McDonald, Nathan Ireson, Tyson Smith?" Hawk scanned the room and stopped when his eyes landed on me. 

"Maxine Johnson" he gave me this very creepy grin, leaving my eyebrows cocked at him. 

"I didn't expect a girl to have such ability to lead a band of guys" he stroked his chin gently as if he was thinking wisely. At least the guy looked like he was serious to sign us. This could be a good start for the band.

"I am capable of doing anything so don't ever underestimate me" I gritted through my teeth, trying to hold back my snobbiness. The guys bit on their lips, desperately trying not to laugh. 

What's so funny anyways?

"I like her!" Hawk turned to Rebecca, his British assistant. She just grinned at him, agreeing. 

There was a long moment of silence with Hawk just contemplating. I tapped my foot impatiently on the carpet floor, looking at my friends. They yawned and showed obvious signs of boredom. 

"Rebecca, get me the contract!" Hawk finally demanded. Rebecca nodded, leaving the room without a word. 

Another awkward silence followed the departure of Hawk's British assistant. Looking over at the guys again, Tyson took out his blackberry from his pocket and looked at it for a while. He looked up and smiled at me, going back to his phone again. 

Finally, Rebecca came back with paper in her hands. Hawk took them, slamming it on his table professionally. 

"You sign the contract and we will immediately release your three song EP. Plus we will back you guys up for the makings of your first full length" Hawk slid the contract in front of me and I signed it without taking a glance at the content on paper. 

After I was done, I passed it to Nathan who repeated the same action, passing it over to Collin. Collin bit his lips, scanning through the text without really comprehending them and finally signed it. When Collin handed the contract to Tyson, he read through every single word carefully. Classic Tyson!

"I have a question!" Hawk almost sighed but gestured for him to go on anyways.

"Why does it say that we can't leave the record label unattended? It means that we can't depart from Hawk Records unless you agree to let us go" Tyson looked up from the contract and stared at Hawk in question. This caught my interest. Did Tyson have a good point for once?

Collin and Nathan pulled the contract out of his hand, looking for the part he just point out. I took the time to give Hawk a good look. He smiled, opening his mouth to answer.

"Of course you have to let us know whenever you want to drop from the label. You can't just magically disappear without a warning" Rebecca quickly replied for him. Hawk nodded along with his assistant.

"That makes sense" Tyson approved, snatching the contract back from the other two. He continued to evaluate the text on the contract. 

I'm starting to lose my patience with this kid. Who cares about the content of the contract? It's just promising you fame and fortune. The rest of us stared at him impatiently, crossing our fingers for him to sign the damn thing already. 

After a few nods and signs of agreement, Tyson, after eight minutes, finally, signed the contract. 

"Thank you" Hawk smiled, reaching for the contract. Tyson politely handed them to him. 

"You guys can leave now. We'll call you for further information on the release of your EP" Rebecca escorted us out of Hawk's office. 

On our way back to Palm Woods in Hawk's limo, the guys chattered childishly about what they were going to do with their families after they get famous. I couldn't help but pout to myself and stare out the window mindlessly. Talks about family doesn't interest me at all. But I was proud of myself. 

My mother, father, and brother never had faith in me. They all believed that being a rock star is some impossible fantasy. So I was brought down. No one believed in me, laughing at my unreachable desire whenever they had the chance to. Now, with the signed contract in Hawk's office, I can break out into the music scene and rub my fame in their faces. With this new attitude, I feel like all the weight in my body suspended into thin air and just disappeared. 

The limo dropped us off at the Palm Woods entrance, allowing the guys to charge in the lobby like savages. Groaning and rolling my eyes, I followed the guys. We got strange looks from onlookers and I just wish that the guys would stop. 

"Kendall! Kendall! Kendall! Oh, hi Jo! Anyways, guess what?" the trio crowded around Kendall and Jo. The pair chose the wrong time to be hanging around the lobby, waiting for an elevator. 

Ignoring the commotion, I checked my surroundings. Kandi was engaged in a conversation with James. She looked genuine as she explained something to him. James, for once, looked like he was really comprehending what she was saying. He bit his lips and nodded every few seconds. 

"Maxi!" I nearly jumped out of my skin in surprise and shock. 

Kendall grinned at me with his hand up in the air.

"High five!" he exclaimed. Jo gave me an excited smile, encouraging me.

I ignored them, walking past them to join the guys in the elevator.

They held the door open and waited until the couple walked in. 

"Guys, congratulations!" Kendall said, smiling at the guys. Then his eyes landed on me. I looked away quickly. 

"Come on, Max, crack a smile. You know you want to" I feel his fingers poking at my sides, attempting to force a smile on my face. 

"Stop! That's really annoying!" I shouted, shoving his hands away. 

Jo tapped on Kendall's shoulder and whispered something in his ear. He nodded and apologized to me. 

The elevator stopped at the second floor and out went the perfect looking couple. 

As soon as the door closed, I sighed in relief.

"Finally!"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's pretty short but I really like this chapter! Comment, subscribe, etc. Make us happy!

Title Credit: ALL TIME LOW!!