‹ Prequel: Wonderwall

Hollywould Fix

Mama's Famous French Toast

The next morning I slept in late exhausted from helping Pete with the chores. I woke up around 11 to the smell of something yummy coming from the kitchen. For a split second the thought crossed my mind that it was Alex making me breakfast. I don't know why I thought that. I hadn't heard from Alex in weeks and besides I loved Pete now, not that it was working out too well for me.

I got up in a hurry and scrambled to wash up and throw on some clothes as soon as possible to head downstairs. I followed my nose to the kitchen and was suprised to find a petite brown-skinned woman with curly hair standing in front of the stove.

"Mrs. Wentz," I exclaimed.

She whirled around to face me. "Guilty."

I looked at her in shock. "I thought you weren't coming until this afternoon? How did you get to the house?" I knew Pete had made plans to pick her up from the airport.

"They had an earlier flight and I just couldn't wait any longer so I figured I just show up early and surprise everyone," she paused giving me the once over. Then she smiled softly. "You must be Reina."

I realized that I hadn't actually introduced myself before I started giving her the third degree. "Oh yes I am," I laughed.

She pulled me in for a hug. "It's so nice to finally meet you sweetheart." She pushed me back gently so that she could get another look at me. "Peter told me you were stunning and he was certainly correct."

I blushed instantly. "Thank you Mrs. Wentz."

"I hear you've been taking good care of him. He's very fond of you."

"I'm fond of him too. So what are you making?"

"French toast."

"Oh your famous french toast that Pete talks about all the time? I think the whole world knows about it," I laughed, "Well I can't wait to taste it."

"It should be done soon. I'm hoping the smells will wake up my nocturnal son."

"What are you saying about me," asked a foggy Pete as he walked into the kitchen.

His eyes were barely open and he was still wearing his baggy pajama pants with ice cream cones on them and a thin white t-shirt through which I could see the outlines of his tattoos and his stomach. He ran his fingers through his wild ruffled hair and gave me a shy smile. He always looked so adorable first thing in the morning. I had to fight really hard to keep from kissing him.

"Mom what are you doing here?" He walked over and wrapped his arms around her waist bending slightly to give her a quick peck on the cheek. "You should have let me pick you up. And we could have gone out somewhere for breakfast, you didn't have to cook."

"Nonsense you eat out all the time. I wanted you to have a homecooked meal. Besides, I know you love my french toast."

He smiled. "So I guess you met Reina?"

"Oh yes I was just telling her that she's just as beautiful as you described her." He looked at me momentarily but quickly looked away. "Go get washed up really quick while Reina helps me set the table."

I couldn't help but smiling at how she recruited me to do chores. It was just something my own mother would have done.

"Okay, I've gotta wake up Ashlee too I'm sure she's hungry."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes if only out of fear that Mrs. Wentz might see me.

"So Reina, how have you been doing since the storm? I hope my son is taking care of you just as well as you are him."

I began opening cabinets and drawers taking down utensils to set the table. "He has. Peter's done so much for me. I literally had to start my life all over again but he's made it so much easier. He and his friends have really taken me in and made me part of the family. Don't worry Mrs. Wentz, you raised a good one," I said touching her shoulder lightly before heading into the dining room.

"Are you still working for Ashlee's sister," she called.

"Yes, well I don't work directly for her. Actually I've never even met her but I still work for the Jessica Simpson label. It's amazing I couldn't ask for a better job it hardly feels like work! I get to do what I'm passionate about everyday."

"It's a great feeling isn't it?" She entered the dining room putting a carton of orange juice in the middle of the table.

I nodded in agreement.

"Hmm, this smells wonderful Mrs. Wentz," said Ashlee cheerily. She walked over to give Mrs. Wentz a hug. "Good morning Rey."

I plastered a smile on my face. I would try to be nice to Ashlee for Pete's mother's sake. "Morning."

"Let's eat I'm starving."
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise 2 chapters for today! The other one was so short I just couldn't do that to you. So hmm...any predictions as to how Mama Wentz will factor into the picture?