‹ Prequel: Wonderwall

Hollywould Fix

Blacklisted

I wasn't sure how long I would be able to keep my mouth shut. Pete deserved to know but I wasn't sure at what expense. Would it be worth it for him to know the truth if it meant that he hated me for being the one to tell him? It weighed on my mind everyday as I watched him shower Ashlee with affection and excitedly buy things for the baby. I don't remember feeling guiltier about anything in my life. Fortunately I had Alex to take my mind off of things.

"Hey beautiful." Just the sound of his voice was enough to pull me out of my head and back into reality. I smiled into the phone receiver then slid off of my chair and toward the outfitted mannequin I was supposed to be evaluating.

"Hey handsome," I purred back, "What are you doing?"

"Eating lunch before I head to class. I've got a killer test today. I'm nervous."

"Aww, you're going to do fine babe. I know you will."

"Well now I will. You're my lucky charm."

I smiled into the phone once again. "I sure am. Now hurry up so you're not late for your test. And don't eat too much or you'll be falling asleep instead of concentrating."

He chuckled. "Yes mother."

"Good luck."

"Thanks. I love you."

"I love you too. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone with renewed concentration for the task at hand. I studied the skirt and blouse combo on the mannequin in front of me taking in every detail, every pleat, and every ruffle. I walked back to my desk to pull out a box of stick pins and began pinning the hem of the skirt up another two inches.

"Finally getting some work done I see," said a voice coming from the door way of my office.

"I don't know what you're talking about Russell I've been keeping up with my work just fine," I said failing at hiding the fact that I was offended by his comment.

"Yes you've been doing your work but it's obvious you've been distracted and not as passionate as you used to be," he said as he sat in the black leather swivel chair behind my desk. I could feel the color rising in my cheeks. "Honey don't get mad at me I'm just telling it like it is."

I blew out a huff blowing the bangs that were hanging in my face. "I know, you're right...Russell what do you think would happen to me if I lost this job? I mean in your professional opinion, if you didn't know me, would my experience here be enough for you to hire me?"

He cocked his round red face to the side and smirked. "You're not planning on leaving me are you?"

"Of course not, but you know things happen."

He looked at me critically like he was trying to read my mind and find out why I was asking him this question. "I would, if you had a portfolio of some sort to show me, and you were your usual charming self. This is Hollywood kid, actual talent and skill don't matter if you've got the look and the personality."

I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that if everything went horribly wrong I could still get another job.

"Unless of course you got blacklisted, then there's no way in hell I'd hire you no matter how talented you were."

I looked up from my work on the mannequin. "What do you mean 'blacklisted'," I asked in alarm.

"You know like in old movies when someone says, 'You'll never work in this town again.' No one actually says those words anymore but the principle still stands. You piss someone off enough and they make sure you're miserable until you're forced to leave. Hollywood has its ways of making sure that those who must kiss ass continue to do so. So just don't piss anybody off and you'll be fine," he concluded jovially like it was the most obvious and easy thing to do.

"Right, of course. Don't piss anybody off, will do," I said dryly.

He looked at me seemingly amused. "Come on Rey, how hard can it be to not make the boss mad by sleeping with her sister's boyfriend? I mean Peter is hot, don't get me wrong, but is he really worth it?"

I looked up again in shock before trying to fix my face back to an emotionless expression. "What do you mean?"

"Don't play coy with me you little minx, what did I tell you when you first started working here? TMZ and Perez come to Russell for their news I know everything."

"No you don't, although, I wish you did. Because then you might be able to help me."

For once, the look on Russell's face softened. His brow furrowed as he looked at me intently. "You know I will help you anyway I can."

"Thanks but I don't think there's anything anybody can do."

He nodded slowly and thoughtfully before finally vacating my chair and walking quietly out of the office closing the door behind him. "And you're wrong," I said to myself in the silence, "Pete Wentz is definitely worth it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys hope you have a great day. Go get your free pancakes from IHOP ofr national pancake day. Do they have IHOP in countries outside of the U.S.?