Status: Continue or No?

While Trees Sing

Alone With A Smile

Image
"Go on and just fucking leave then!"

Echoes of a slammed door raised thick hatred and fear into the air throughout the shabby neighborhood. It was a place where no one would dare to even think of interfering with anything that sounded like risking their own sad souls for another's which they thought to be below theirs. That's how the world spun, on hatred and fear from brother against brother, sister against sister.

A concrete prison of sorrow and pity made up the world that surrounded a frail young girl. Three years of school and she can still not properly spell her own name, a drunken father that spends more time out in a rundown pub than with his own daughter and a mother that was disgusted of the thought of her own baby girl made up Tethera's day to day life. She had no friends, had no one to enjoy life with. But she couldn't tell the difference.

Tethera didn't know of any other way to live, any other way to be. Gullible and naive with youth, she smiled every day she woke herself up in the morning and every night that she tucked herself into to bed, wishing herself sweet dreams and safety. A big heart filled her small chest, seeming unaware of all the pain and hurt in the world around her.

Spending most of her days after school outside, the girl grew fond of the only tree that was around for blocks. It was an older tree, bark worn and wrinkled with the aging of harsh winds and uncaring rain followed by the scorching rays of the sun. Branches cracked and fell to the small patch of grass below it after every light rain.

The tree's heart may have grown weaker, but never would it die in spirit.
Image