Lullaby

A Whisper Away From Changing Everything

“Baby, if you’re tired you need to sleep.” I say as I brush a strand of hair out of her face. She scrunches up her nose and shakes her head. I can tell she’s close to falling asleep, but fighting it.
“I’m with you right now…I don’t want to sleep.”
“Are you thinking about tomorrow? Didn’t I tell you not too.” I say sternly. She pulls me into her and holds on tight.
“I don’t want you to go. I don’t want you to leave me.” she sniffles into my shirt.
“Baby, it’s gonna be ok. You can write me letters everyday. I’ll be back in thirteen weeks. It’ll go by so fast once I’m there. I love you baby girl.” I pull away from her and take my shirt off. “Tonight is just about us.”
I lay down facing her as she snuggles into my side, trying not to fall asleep.
“I don’t want this to end. I want this moment to last forever.” she mumbles as she rubs her eyes and yawns.
“I’ll be back in no time. And we can lay here just like this.”
“Promise?”
“Yes. Want me to sing you a song, would that help you fall asleep? Hmm, What do you want me to sing to you?” I ask as she looks up at me with her big green eyes.
“A lullaby.”
I smile at her answer as I think of a good one for her.
“ Oh Florida, please be still tonight
Don't disturb this love of mine
Look how she's so serene
You've gotta help me out
And count the stars to form in lines
And find the words we'll sing in time
I want to keep her dreaming
It's my one wish, I won't forget this” I start to sing and run my hand through her hair, a guaranteed way to make her fall asleep.
“ I'm outdated, overrated
Morning seems so far way
So I'll sing a melody
And hope to God she's listening
Sleeping softly while I sing
And I'll be your memories
Your lullaby for all the times
Hoping that my voice could get it right” I stop there and examine her sleeping form. Her long curly hair is pulled back into a messy bun, except for a few pieces that fell out while she was helping me pack. I look past her towards the door at my duffle bag and boots. Thirteen weeks of hell and then I’m back her with her. If only I could stay in this moment and watch her dreaming forever. I get up and turn the light off then lay beside her, pulling her back flush against my bare chest. I place a delicate kiss on the back on her neck and then lay my head on the pillow. I form little patterns in my head with the glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling. She insisted we put them up, said she wanted to be able to see the stars at night. I’ve been waiting for tomorrow the past two years, and now that it’s here, I don’t want to go. This girl, this amazing girl, has made me wish that I could stay awake forever and that tomorrow wouldn’t come. I close my eyes, though I know I won’t get much sleep. I can only hope to drift off and have dreams of her.
“I love you so much, I wish there was a way to show you.” I whisper to her one last time. When she wakes up tomorrow I’ll be gone already.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Credit : Brantley Gilbert- Fall Into me
Song Credit: Mayday Parade- I swear this time i mean it