March of Mephisto

.
.
.
.

“Aspirat primo Fortuna labori. Me duce tutus eris.”
Fortune Smiles Upon Your Effort. Under my leadership you will be safe.
- Kamelot, "March of Mephisto" -


Armageddon poisoned the world and left it crumbling to ruins, leaving half of the world inhabitable dark lands. The remains of humanity became engulfed in a gradual regression devastating the world. Most of the knowledge of the previous world was lost or forgotten after the destruction, but the remaining technology stretched as motivation for war. For centuries, armies of different nations crossed each other hoping for gain.

Some believed the dimming of the sun, in the future-years, caused a continuing mutation in genetic code. The defect in the enzyme that produces melanin, causing the absence of pigment, is becoming more common among organisms, particularly in humans. The loss of some sciences and primitive instinct to believe in lore caused diversity in the origin of the white being. In the East Asian cultures it is believed that the white beings came from a spirit world as guardians and protectors of the people, and are praised for their status. The western nations have various interpretations; some nations have no opinion of them and regard them as normal humans while others consider them demons or evil presences.

In some of Western Europe it was a crime for having albinism and, in some cases, people could be sentenced to death because of it. Legend speaks of a young, albinic soldier who hailed from Germany, and became known for his bravery as a war hero and the freeing of criminals whose only crime was acquiring the enzyme defect.

--------------------

Title credit go to the song of the same name by Kamelot. Story was written for and entered into Choose A Picture and Let Your Imagination Flow contest hosted by nealumina. Picture chosen is seen above. I am sorry, nealumina, if you where looking for a fan-fiction.
.
.

Table of Contents: