Status: workin' on it...

Behind the Façade

Introductions

------------Hunter--------------

There was nothing that compared to being up on a stage and playing my music. There were the lights, the sound, the crowd. Having the ability to make people sing along with your music, to scream their asses off while forming a mosh-pit around a bar stage? There's nothing that could possibly surpass it.

Logan nods at me and I stand at the microphone after the equipment is finally set up. "Hello everyone," I say, running a hand through my hair. The excitement was already thrumming through my blood, "We are 'Behind the Façade' and get ready to be blown away." My eyes scan the crowd and listen to Logan strum each string on his bass deliberately, making sure each one had the perfect sound.

"Regular set?" I ask the guys, slinging the guitar over my shoulder. They all nod and Mark starts on the drums. There's a girl not too far from the make-shift bar stage and she's watching us intently for a second before, shaking her head slightly - as if ridding a thought - and disappearing back into the crowd.

I lost sight of her just as the vocals of the song began, distracting me from the intriguing girl as I got lost my guitar.

The song went better than when we've ever practiced and by the end of it, the crowd was practically exploding with applause. But maybe that was just because they were getting more intoxicated by the minute.

After our first set, we got off stage, letting a different band take over for a couple of minutes. Mark's girlfriend came backstage and his face lit up, "Hey babe!"

She smiled and wrapped an arm around his waist before making a face, "You're all sweaty."

We all laugh and I run a hand through my hair as the girl I saw in the audience walks back, too. I smile at her, "Hey."

She turns to me, surprised and gives me a little half wave, "Hi."

"Hunter." I wink.

Something clenches in her jaw and a flawless smile pulls across her face - except for the fact that it was fake. "Carson." She pulls her sandy hair away from her face for a minute and turns to Mark's girlfriend, who appeared to be her friend. "Hey, Sav, I think I might be heading out..."

There was a sort of distaste when she said this and her friend quickly shook her head, "C'mon the night's just starting! Don't you wanna hear the end of BTF's set?"

"BTF...?"

"Behind the Façade," I cut in.

Carson looks at me, nodding in thanks. "I've got to be getting back to Brianna -- I don't know how she is..." Her voice sounded motherly. Careful. Measured.

Was Brianna a sister or another friend? I tried to understand why figuring this girl out was so important to me. Was it the obvious curtain she was keeping between herself and the world? Or maybe it was how she wasn't the least bit interested in any of the three single guys surrounding her.

"Don't you want to meet Logan?" My best friend's head shoots up from the ground he's been so intensely staring at when the other girl mentions his name and glances from me to Carson and back to Mark's girlfriend - whose full name I still haven't caught.

"Savannah," Carson whispers, "Not now --."

Logan sticks out his hand nonetheless, a casual smile playing across his feature, "I'm Logan."

Carson sighs and looks up, before smiling. Only this time I can't tell if it's a real one or not. "Carson, nice to meet you."

Savannah glances at Mark who gives an approving nod in return, as if wordlessly agreeing they look great together. "So this is Mark, my boyfriend, on drums. Logan is bassist, Brian is..."

"The other guitar player," he says from the side, tuning his guitar and giving Carson a smile.

"And that's Hunter," Savannah continues, not even really glancing at me, "Lead vocals, et cetera."

Carson glances at me again for a second longer than everyone else and I'm about to say something when we get called back on stage.

"You staying for the end of the set?" Logan asks her, taking an involuntary step toward her.

A blush crosses her cheeks as Carson sighs, "Fine...don't break a guitar string!" She laughs, taking Savannah's hand and pulling her back out to the bar area.

After they leave, Mark and Brian head back on stage to a cheering crowd, while Logan and I stay, watching Carson's retreating figure. She looks back once at us - at me? - and smiles.

"Wow," Logan mumbles, running a hand through his hair. "I owe Savannah."

"What for?" I say cautiously, half-planning how to ask Carson out by the end of the night.

"You didn't hear?" Logan leans a bit and follows her figure before it's completely enveloped by drunk, dancing bodies. "She set up a date for us, with her and Mark. I'm one lucky bastard."

"Yeah," I respond, heading on stage, "You are."