Status: workin' on it...

Behind the Façade

A Date?

------------Carson--------------

I groan while standing in front of my closet. Brianna is sprawled out on my bed, listening to the music playing from my computer. A song comes on, one the band played last night and I turn around, smiling at the memory.

"Whose this?" Brianna asks. "They're good."

"Behind the Façade, the band I saw last night," I reply while remembering the way Logan has given me their demo CD even after I played the "no, it's fine, you really don't have to" card. He just rolled those hazel eyes and smiled an adorable smile.

I took the CD without further complaint.

"Are they, like, famous?"

I laugh, "No, but they're trying. And I think they definitely have the potential to be famous...one day."

"Can you get one of their autographs for me? I mean...i won't be able to see it but, it'd be cool. Like one day, when they're famous, I can say I knew about them before everyone else," Brianna's making snow angels on my comforter, moving her arms and legs back and forth.

"Of course I can do that," I say, smiling, "I'll get all four of them to sign it, alright?"

"Awesome, now what are you wearing for your date tonight?" Brianna smiles.

I hold two different tops against me and study how they look in the mirror, "Ruffles or stripes?"

"It depends...a lot of ruffles or a few?" Even though Brianna can't see since our father took her eyesight, she insists on helping me choose outfits. When she was younger, being a fashion designer was her dream, watching models walk down the runway in her outfits.

And then he came home, the one day when mom left, and he took the world away from Brianna - a world that included the only dream she had as a young kid.

"Just a bit, around the top. And it's blue," I say, tipping my head to the side as I hold it up against me, my sandy brown hair falling across my face.

"Where that one! It sounds pretty," Brianna replies quickly, and I look at her, a hint of sadness washing over me. That's all she could say now, that is sounds pretty. She can't say that it looks beautiful or if it brings out my eyes or if it's even hideous.

She just can't.

"It's settled then," I respond solemnly, "This shirt it is."

I grab my favorite shorts and the shirt, slipping them on just as my phone rings. Brianna fumbles around my nightstand and finds it, handing it to me.

"Thanks, Bri," I say just as I flip it open. "Carson Lewis, how may I be of your assistance today?"

"I am asking my beautiful date what time I can be expecting her," Logan's voice flies through the phone and I sigh, flopping onto the bed as a blush crosses my cheeks.

"Anytime you want," I say, "Oh, and I need your guys' autograph for my sister. All you guys."

"No shit, really?" Even in my room, his happiness was practically tangible through the phone, "She wants our autograph?"

There's some rustling in the background as someone enters the room and Logan relays the news to them. Someone, presumably Hunter, cheers while announcing the need to party. I laugh, "Seriously, Lo. She heard your music and..."

"Thinks they have the guts to make it all the way," Brianna adds from beside me, smiling like crazy.

"Lo? Ohhh, we going to nicknames now Carson?" Logan chuckles.

"Didn't you get the memo? We're pretty serious since you bought be the soda last night," a smile pulls across my lips at the memory. He insisted to buy me something, and I mean, incessantly asking me, I finally gave in.

His joy was priceless when I finally said yes.

"Ah, the mailman just came. I'll have to double-check that." There's a hesitant pause and he asks, "So what time are you gonna head over?"

"Whatever time you want me to."

"Now?" His voice was hopeful and I couldn't say no to him when his voice was just so...pleading.

"When I finish my hair and whatnot, I'll head right over," I respond, laughing.

"Oh, please. Your hair could look like a rat's nest and I'd still think you'd be gorgeous."

My heart stutters and melts in my chest, "Oh?"

"Definitely," Logan says just as Hunter yells, "Suck up!" in the background.

I roll my eyes, "Tell him that he's just jealous he won't be able to touch this tonight."

Logan says it, and there's some quiet cursing before my date laughs. "He just flipped me off...because he knows it's true."

"Oh, and what makes you think you'll get to touch this tonight?" I say, holding back a laugh.

Logan pauses for a minute, "Hm...that's a good point. We'll just have to see right?"

"I guess we will...well, you will." I laugh and look at Brianna sitting their, wide sunglasses a permanent accessory for her beautiful face. I hope she finds someone who makes me laugh like Logan does. I hope she finds someone who doesn't care if she'll never know what they truly look like. "Hey, if you want me to get over to your house at some point tonight, I better get going. I'll text you when I'm in the car."

"I'm already counting down," he replies before the line goes dead.

*

"Wow," I say, the summer heat dissipating once we walk into the movie theater. "Dinner and a movie? How could anyone compete?"

"They can't," Logan says in my ear, the hairs on my neck raising.

Mark and Savannah we in front of us, buying the movie tickets and flirting shamelessly as they had been the entire night.

"Of course I'm heading back to your place after," she laughs, before saying, "As long as you play that lullaby you wrote me." Nudging his arm with hers, a blush runs across Mark's features as Logan and I laugh.

"We can seats away from them, right?" I whisper to Logan and he laughs, nodding.

We slip into the correct theater and take a couple seats in the back just as the lits dim. Mark and Savannah find their way in, giggling and whispering to each other. I shake my head and Logan leans back in his seat, yawning.

He stretches his arms over his head and they somehow find a way around me. I roll my eyes and look at him, the biggest smile gracing his face. I lean into him, a sweet scent enveloping me.

"You're comfortable," I mumbled and his laugh shakes me.

"Yeah? Well you're cute."

I giggle and look up at him. His face is all lit up from the movie and his smile is so charming...He leans down toward me, fingers tipping my face toward him and we're centimeters away when --

"Oh, excuse me! Pardon me, sorry!" An obnoxious voice whispers loudly, spilling popcorn all over us.

Logan sighs and pulls away, dusting the buttery snack off his clothes and out of his hair.

I smile and say, "You missed one," running my fingers through his hair and grabbing the popcorn kernel.

"Ohh, looks like someone's gettin' some action!" The irritating person says next to me. I turn to them, ready to reply with a smart-ass remark when I freeze.

It was Hunter.

"What are you doing here?" I ask and Logan leans forward to see who it is. "C'mon man, what the hell? It's my date with Carson!"

Hunter rolls his eyes, "Like I couldn't tell. Just remember, you two were all ready to suck faces the entire movie."

"Hey --" I begin when Logan puts a hand on my shoulder, "It's impractical to fight him, Cars. Do you wanna just...?"

"Yes," I say, standing up when he does.

"Oh, guys, this is the best part of the movie! Wanna stay?" Hunter whines and reaches out for my hand to pull me down next to him.

Something zings through my nervous system.

"You can stay," I respond, "You'll enjoy the part when Mark Zuckerburg makes Facebook."

Hunter asks shocked, "Is that what this movie is about? I had no idea."

Logan tugs my other hand, "C'mon," he whispers, "Let's have a real date...one my best friend
won't crash."

"Alright," I smile and Hunter rolls his eyes, waving half-heartedly at us.

Once we reach the lobby, my cell phone rings. I grab it from my purse and apologize to Logan who just waves it off.

"Hello?"

Brianna's muffled voice fills my ear, "Dad's home early."

My heart stutters to a stop, and look at Logan, covering the speaker with my hand. "I'll be right back." I stumble toward a deserted hallway and bring the phone to my ear again, "Get in my room. Lock the door, alright? He already --."

"Yeah, long gone." There's some rustling around and a door clicks shut, along with a lock. I sigh in relief. "He's mad you're not home."

I put a palm to my head, "I - I'll be home as soon as I can. Leave the window unlocked. Don't let him hit --."

There's some banging and drunken slur in the background. "Hurry," my sister squeaks out and then the line goes silent.

I look up from my phone and see Hunter standing there. As if my night couldn't get any worse, he probably heard that entire conversation.

"I have to go," I whisper, worry and fear pricking at all of my nerves.

"What? We need to talk." Hunter steps toward me, "Is something going on at home with --."

"Not. Now," I respond, pushing past him and finding Logan.

This conversation with Hunter was irrelevant compared to the situation at home right now, and I was not about to find my sister a heap on the floor again. That is something I swore would never happen, and I'm not going to break that promise to myself now.