‹ Prequel: Recovery
Sequel: Missed You

Everything

The Bitch

Kayla was the kind of girl that enjoyed the simple life. She enjoyed the simple things in life. She was laid back, but spoke her mind when she had something to say. She had to learn to keep her mouth shut sometimes because she was unaware of others around her. She wasn’t emotionless, but she was more intellectual than others, but not a snob about it.

She wasn’t perfect. She couldn’t sing, or dance, but never stopped her from picking up her hairbrush and using it as a microphone. At the moment, she had the hairbrush and had “Pocketful of Sunshine” playing loudly in her room and just jumping up and down while singing so out of tune.

Her red hair was down in loose curls, and she wore her glasses that she only used when she didn’t wear her contacts. Her blue eyes were shining brightly. She was genuinely a happy person, but unaware of the feelings of others sometimes.

She was in the middle of the song when her doorbell rang. She picked up her small remote and pressed pause. It was almost midnight, so she wondered who it was. She hummed to herself as she went downstairs and went to the front door. She opened the door and smiled when she saw her big brother James Sullivan.

She squealed in happiness and jumped on him. He laughed and caught her in his arms. He spun around on the porch.

“You’re here! You’re here!” she giggled and then pecked his cheek. “I thought you still had two weeks left of touring.”

“Matt’s voice is gone… again, so we had to cancel the rest of the shows, but we’re making it up to the kids later on,” Jimmy chuckled and placed his little sister down. “I came here as soon as I got off that stupid airplane.”

“Come in! I’ll make us some hot chocolate,” she pulled her brother inside and closed the door behind them.

“With marshmallows?” he asked.

“What else?” she giggled and they went to the kitchen.

Kayla and Jimmy were like peanut butter and jelly. They did everything together, and they shared the same friends, the same taste in music, and movies. It could be said that Kayla was sort of the female version of James, except she wasn’t so hyper all of the time.

“So, news do you bring from the foreign land, my brother,” she said as she took out a pot and filled it will milk.

Jimmy handed her the bar of chocolate and she dropped it in the milk.

“I bear horrible, horrible news, and some good news,” Jimmy sighed and shook his head. “The Prince is marrying The Bitch.”

Kayla gasped. The Prince was their code for Zacky Baker and The Bitch for Zacky’s girlfriend Gena, who lived up to her title. Kayla had a thing for Zacky since… well since she met him through Jimmy. But Zacky always saw her as his best friend’s little sister who is “off limits” but Jimmy wasn’t like that. He wouldn’t mind if Zacky dated his sister.

“The Prince proposed just two days ago,” Jimmy said sadly. “But it’s because she fucking pressured him into it.”

“That bitch,” Kayla shook her head.

Jimmy laughed. “Yes, but the good news, my sister, is that The Duchess and the Duke have finally confessed their eternal love for each other.”

The Duke was Matt, and Duchess was Adella, his longtime “friend”, but everyone knew they were fuck buddies, but it seems that they have realized they belonged together.

“So wonderful for the Duke and Duchess, but The Prince is in dire trouble,” Kayla said seriously.

“Indeed, he needs to fucking realize his fiancée is a fucking bitch. No one likes being around her for longer than ten minutes.”

“I can’t stand seeing her… from far away!” Kayla stirred the milk and the bar of chocolate had dissolved. “What can we do?”

“What are you going to do?” Jimmy scoffed. “He only listens to you, and you know that. You’re his conscience.”

“But you know that I can’t speak ill of Gena. I don’t want him mad at me.”

“Do you want him to marry Gena?”

Kayla frowned. “Hell fucking no. But what am I supposed to do? Walk up to him and say ‘Zacky, your girlfriend is a bitch, and if you marry her, I’ll fucking shave my head and join the circus,’?”

Jimmy looked thoughtful. “That coul—ow!” he laughed when she punched his arm hard.

“I am not shaving my head and joining the circus!”

“Then we have to stop him from getting married.”

“How? He doesn’t know that he’s a bitch. We’ve told him time and time again, but he just won’t listen.”

“Well,” Jimmy said in a sing song voice and had a glint in his eyes that said he had an evil plan up his long, tattooed sleeve, “what if he sees her being a bitch?”

Kayla narrowed her eyes and then widened them. “Like a trap, or a set up. We set up Gena, and knowing her, she’ll be her usual bitchiness, and we’ll have it on tape.”

Jimmy clapped his hands once. “You’re a genius. I was just thinking of following Gena around until she kicked a puppy or something.”

Kayla knew he was kidding. She laughed and then bit her lower lip.

“Are you sure we’re doing the right thing? What if he’s in love with her?” Kayla asked softly.

“He’s not,” Jimmy said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. “He’s just blind.”

“That doesn’t help.”

“Kayla, I live with the man. Your name comes up more times than Gena, all right? I know how he gets when your name is mentioned or how at every opportunity he tries to bring you up so he can talk about you. You’re the one he’s in love with, and we’re going to make him realize that.”

Jimmy’s words meant more to her than ever thought, and if he was wrong, it was going to crush her.

Kayla’s phone vibrated. She took it out and answered without looking at who it was.

“Hello?” she answered.

“It’s Zack,” Zacky said.

“Oh, hi Zacky,” she said giving Jimmy a look.

“I take Jumbo is there,” Zacky laughed.

“You know it,” she chuckled and turned off the stove because the chocolate was ready. “Whatcha need?”

“I have big news, unless Jimmy already told you.”

“That you’re getting married to The Bi—Gena. Gena,” Kayal caught herself on time.

“Yes, I am,” Zacky chuckled lightly.

“You don’t sound too thrilled for an engaged man,” Kayla said and hoped that maybe she could, after all, talk him out of the marriage.

“Oh, I am. I am. I’m just… a little hesitant about what I’m about to ask you.”

“Shoot it up,” she said and poured hot chocolate in a mug she got.

“Gena needs a maid of honor—“

“No,” Kayla said without thinking.

“Aw, come on, I didn’t even finish,” Zacky whined.

“I know what you’re going to say Baker. You want me to be Gena’s Maid of Honor. No way,” she scoffed.

“Wait,” Jimmy said in a hushed tone.

Kayla placed her hand on the speaker and moved the phone away from her. “What?”

“This could help us with our plan. The more time you spend with Gena, the more chances we have of catching her in the act,” Jimmy whispered.

Kayla groaned. “But that means… being around her, in the same fucking room… for hours, James!”

“Do this for Zacky, and moi,” he pouted his lips. “I can’t let my best friend do this. It’s the bro code.”

Kayla rolled her eyes. She knew she couldn’t deny her brother and her duty as best friend too. She placed the phone back to her ear.

“—She has no friends,” Zacky had seemed to be on a lecture that he thought was going to convince her.

“Fine, I’ll do it,” she sighed.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” he said happily.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m a saint. What do I need to do?”

Gena wasted no time trying to find a dress. Kayla had nine months to come up with a set up. The wedding was in nine months, and it hurt Kayla deeply. Maybe she just wasn’t doing it to save him, but to let him know how she felt about him.

Kayla was in the same car as Gena on their way to a bridal shop.

Britney Spears filled the car, and Kayla was getting a headache. Zacky owed her so fucking much. He knew that she couldn’t stand his girlfriend.

“I have pictures of what I want, hopefully they’ll have something similar,” Gena sighed.

“Yeah, that’s great,” Kayla said in a monotone voice.

Gena scoffed. “You could at least fucking pretend you’re happy, even though I know you’re not. I know you like Zacky, but he doesn’t see you in any sort of sexual way. He’s told me.”

Kayla slowly looked over to Gena with an icy look. “I’m only here because of Zacky. It’s because he’s my best friend and he asked me a favor to be your fucking maid of honor because apparently you have no fucking friends, so I’d back off and be nice.”

Gena’s lips pressed together in a line. Yeah, Kayla could be a bitch too if she wanted to.

Gena’s mom, and sister met up with them at the bridal shop. Kayla found out where Gena got her attitude from, her mother. If Kayla had a gun, she would’ve shot herself, several times, and that’s not even possible. But she didn’t stay with them for more than ten minutes.

Their bickering was enough to make her check into an asylum.

Kayla walked outside and thought about what she was doing. She told herself it was for the best. She couldn’t let Zacky marry someone he would regret. But, would she break his heart? Maybe if she finally told him how she felt he would realize he loved her too, like Jimmy said.

Or maybe she was just being selfish. She could be selfish with almost everyone else, except Zacky. She could not care less about the rest of the world, but Zacky was important to her, beside her brother.

“What are you doing out here?” Gena’s annoying voice came.

Kayla closed her eyes and sighed softly. “I needed a break.”

“Well, get your scrawny ass back in here, you’re my maid of honor,” Gena mumbled.

Kayla twirled around. “Why didn’t you ask your sister?”

“Because I don’t like her, and she would try to make it her wedding and not mine,” Gena said like it was obvious. “If you’re the maid of honor, I get everything I want.”

Kayla rolled her eyes. “Just pick a goddamn dress, it’s not like you’re ever going to wear it again.”

“It’s not easy, Kayla,” Genna snapped. “Just because you would get married in a piece of trash doesn’t mean I have to. Zacky told me to pick whichever I want, and I’m going to take my sweet time doing it.”

“Why does the dress matter? What should matter is that you’re marrying someone you love,” Kayla narrowed her blue eyes at the blonde.

Gena rolled her eyes and scoffed. “What the fuck would you know? You’re too much of an anti-social freak to even get a date.”

Kayla’s eye twitched and she clenched her fist. Screw feeling guilty for breaking Zacky’s heart. She could not allow her best friend to marry that bitch.

He was everything to her. She wasn’t going to let him make the biggest mistake of his life. Not if she could prevent.