‹ Prequel: Recovery
Sequel: Missed You

Everything

Choose

“One, two, one two,” Kayla said casually. Jimmy brought over some people to hook up some wire on her so that everything that happened while she was with Gena would be recorded. She also had a pin that had a tiny camera on it. The tech guy showed her how to take it off and how to stop recording if she wanted to.

“You’re all set,” the tech guy said. Jimmy paid the man cash and the guy left.

Jimmy had a little screen in his hands that showed and recorded all that the pin could see.

“With this, we’re going to catch Gena red handed,” Jimmy grinned and looked over to his little sister who looked deep in thought. “What’s wrong? We have the tools to bring down the Bitch.”

“I know, but… what if Zacky really loves her?” Kayla whispered and bit her bottom lip. “I rather see him happy married to a bitch then destroyed.”

Jimmy’s face softened. “We’re doing the right thing, Kay.”

She nodded and straightened her head. “You’re right. I just don’t want to drive Zacky away if this goes bad.”

“It’s not, trust me,” he grinned.

Kayla narrowed her eyes. “The times you say that everything goes wrong. ‘Kayla, trust me, stealing those drumsticks will be a piece of cake’.”

Jimmy laughed and threw his head back. “Oh yeah.”

“Or how about ‘It’s not going to hurt you, trust me’ and I had to the hospital and take rabies shots!” she hit him in the back of the head. “I’ll never forget that.”

“Hey, but you didn’t die,” he laughed.

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. “If you weren’t my blood, I’d shank your ass.”

“Not my pretty ass,” he said in a fake shock. “What will my girl hold onto as I ride her--”

“GROSS!” she yelled and covered her ears.

Jimmy laughed again.

-*-

“You know you’re my best friend forever, right?” Zacky told Kayla over the phone.

She groaned. “What now, Baker? You want my kidney? Cause you can have it as long as I don’t have to be around Gena anymore.”

“That hurts, Kay, you should get along with her. She’s a part of my life.”

Kayla wanted to avoid an argument. She wasn’t in the mood. So she sucked it up and smiled.

“All right, what is it best friend forever?” she almost cringed when she said those words.

“We’re going out tonight. I beat Jimmy before he could call you,” Zacky chuckled.

“Same place, same time?” she asked.

“Yup.”

“See you in an hour, Baker.”

“See you, Sullivan.”

Kayla placed her phone back on the cradle and then went upstairs to pick her outfit. Tonight, she wanted to remind Zacky that she was a woman. She would dress sexy, but not slutty. She had the perfect dress. It was one she bought a couple of days ago.

The perk of being the sister of a famous drummer was that she could buy things and not look at the price. She had her own job, but she got a gift card from Jimmy for 2000 dollars for her birthday.

She was ready to go on time. She looked great. She liked to feel sexy sometimes. She hoped Zacky would notice. She got to the bar. She spotted Zacky’s car. She smiled as she walked inside. The bartender already knew her, so he raised his hand and waved at her.

She waved back. The bartender pointed to the back of the bar where her friends were. She smiled at the bartender and headed towards her friends. Heads turned to her and Jason and Matt Berry wolf whistled.

She just grinned and took the chair that was available, the last one.

“Wipe the drool boys,” she laughed and crossed her legs which caused her dress to rise up.

“Yeah, fuck off,” Jimmy growled at the Berry brothers.

“I thought you didn’t have a problem if she dated one of us,” Matt Berry smirked and winked at Kayla, she giggled.

“Yeah, date, not use her as a one night stand,” Jimmy retorted. “And treat her like she’s some cheap slut.”

“What’s the occasion?” Brian asked.

She shrugged. “A girl wants to feel pretty sometimes.”

“That’s not pretty,” Zacky said and she locked eyes with him. He seemed pissed off. She knew because his hands were on the table and he had them laced until they were almost white.

“You’re right, I meant sexy,” she grinned.

“I like it… don’t tell Adella,” Matt said.

She laughed and nodded. “Mum’s the word.”

Drinks were ordered and they started to have a good time. Kayla felt Zacky’s green eyes burning her throughout the night. He gave her glances over and over again. She ignored them. She usually went to the bar and had guys asking her to dance, but she was surrounded by intimidating guys, so no one asked her to dance.

“Dance with me, Zack,” she said to him, which caught him off guard. “You know no one asks me when I’m with you guys.”

He nodded and got up. Jimmy clapped his hands and slapped Zacky’s ass. Kayla laughed and then went to the dance floor with Zacky. She had a few drinks in her and she was feeling adventurous. She pressed her body with his.

She wasn’t drunk, but she did feel like the ties holding her back were loose. Zacky didn’t object to her proximity.

“You look very pretty tonight,” he said.

She giggled. “I thought I wasn’t pretty.”

He laughed. “Oh right, you’re sexy.”

“Do you mean that?” she tilted her head to the side.

“Of course, I do,” he said. “Why would you think otherwise?”

She shrugged. “You’ve never put me in the ‘sexy’ category.”

“I have, but not the usual kind,” he said. “You have a whole different sexy category.”

She smiled. “Thanks.”

After a few songs, they went back to sit down. Midnight arrived and it was time for them to go, but Zacky and Kayla stayed behind. They discussed his wedding for a while. He seemed happy about it, but she noticed there was no spark in his eyes about it. Whenever he was excited about something, truly looking forward to it, he would get a sparkle in his eyes. It was like when he got Ichabod. She never had seen him so happy.

By the end of the night, Zacky wasn’t in any condition to drive, so she took him to her home. It wasn’t something new. She always took the guys in when they were drunk. It was almost a regular thing. She took him to her bed.

“Thanks, Kay,” he said. “You’re a great friend.”

She pressed her lips together to keep her from saying anything. “Yeah. You’re welcome.”

“Sometimes I wonder,” he slurred.

She sat down on the other side of the bed. “Wonder about what?”

“What would’ve happened if we hooked up,” he said. “I always wanted to, always.”

“But you didn’t want your friendship with Jimmy to be affected if something happened between us,” she said.

He nodded. “I was a fucking coward. We… we could’ve been the ones getting married.”

Her heart tugged. Why did he have to be drunk to tell her that?

“You’re everything, Kay,” he said. “You’re there for me unconditionally. You don’t care about how I dress or anything. You just… stand me.”

She chuckled. “It’s because I love you,” she moved his hair back.

“I love you, too,” he smiled. “God! There I said it!”

She laughed and then she yelped when he grabbed her wrist and pulled her over to him.

“I mean it, Kayla,” he said placing a lock of her hair behind her ear. His green eyes with an intensity she never seen before. She could almost call it love, and not the friendly kind.

She was lowering her lips to his before she could stop herself, but when she did, Zacky closed the space and kissed her. It was innocent, and it was beautiful. It was everything she thought it would be. Her soul was filled with joy and all the troubles in the world diminished. His snake bites weren’t a bother as she thought they would be. She barely felt them because Zacky’s tongue was the only thing she could taste.

He moved them so that he was on top of her. His elbow held his weight and his lips never parted hers.

Then, it was all shattered when reality sank in for both of them.

He pulled away. “Shit, I’m sorry, Kay. I don’t know what the fuck came over me. I-I can’t do this.”

She sat up and felt her cheeks warm up. She wanted to try to mask her feelings like she always did, but not this time.

“Because you love Gena,” she concluded.

“No--yes--no… I don’t know,” he groaned and tugged his hair with his hands.

“Why did you propose to her, Zacky?” she asked. “You know that no one likes her. Her own sister can’t stand her!”

Zacky looked over to her. “I was cornered into it. She wanted marriage and I was just scared of breaking things off with her.”

“Why?!” she growled. She stopped herself from screaming at him. “Just go to sleep, Zack.”

“But, you’re mad. I don’t like it when you’re mad,” he mumbled. “Look, Gena is a good person. Some of you might not see it, but I do.”

“Just go to sleep,” she got off the bed and went to the closet and got her pajamas. She usually slept with Zacky on the same bed, but not this time. She just couldn’t stand the sight of him. They just shared one of the most wonderful kisses, and he was being an ass defending his fiancée.

She exited the room and she heard Zacky say “You’re so fucking stupid, Baker”.

She retreated to another room. She cried. It was only when she was alone that she could let her mask down. She thought Zacky would man up, but he was being a pussy. He was scared? What kind of bullshit excuse was that?

The next morning, she was up early and made breakfast for them. Her house phone rang and she got it before it woke Zacky up.

“Hello?” she answered.

“He’s there, isn’t he?!” Gena spat.

“Yes,” Kayla sighed.

“I’m going over.”

“No nee--” Kayla was about to tell her not to, but it was too late, Gena hung up.

“Fuck,” she cursed.

Fifteen minutes later, Gena rang the doorbell and then walked in.

“Yeah, Gena, just walk in because you’re welcomed,” Kayla said sarcastically.

“Where is he?” Gena asked.

“In my bedroom, sleeping.”

“This is going to stop once he and I are married. He just can’t go out with his friends and get drunk!”

“Right, because then he would have a life without you,” Kayla flashed Gena a smile.

Gena didn’t like it. “Look,” she stepped up closer to Kayla a mistake she would soon learn, “after I’m married to Zacky, the first thing I’m going to make sure of is that he never speaks to you again. You fill his heads with absurd ideas.”

“Do elaborate,” Kayla wished she had the pin with the camera and microphone.

“Like having that stupid online store!”

“Vengeance University was his idea, I just helped bring it up,” Kayla crossed her arms. “Do you really think Zacky is going to break off our friendship for you?”

“If I make him choose, he would choose me,” Gena grinned.

“I wouldn’t.”

Kayla and Gena looked over to the kitchen entrance and saw Zacky. His hair was a mess and he was paler than usual. Gena was surprised and Kayla was too. She didn’t hear him. But it worked for the best. Zacky just heard Gena in her normal self. A bitch.

“You can’t seriously think I would pick you over Kayla,” Zacky’s eyes were narrowed. “God, I’ve been so fucking blind! You ARE a bitch, but I just thought it was sometimes, but it’s ALL of the time.”

“Zacky, baby—“ Gena started.

“No,” Zacky raised his hand, “I’ve had it. You just told Kayla that you plan on making me choose, and so I choose Kayla. It will always be Kayla because she is everything to me, the light to my soul.”

Kayla pressed her lips together to keep her from smiling like a fool.

Gena sputtered. “Wh-what are you saying, Zacky?”

Zacky’s eyes softened a bit. “I’m saying we’re over, Gena. I can’t be with someone who is going pick who I hang out with. Kayla is a part of life. She accepted you as a part of mine, and you should have to, but I can see that you won’t.”

Gena’s eyes watered and then she took off her engagement ring and threw it at Zacky. It bounced off his head and then Gena walked past him angrily. She slammed the door shut.

“The light to your soul?” Kayla grinned. “Why, Zacky, I didn’t know you were such a romantic.”

He chuckled. “I remember last night, Kay, and I don’t regret it. I might’ve felt a bit of guilt, but that passed because I realized that I just can’t let you go. I love you. I really love you.”

She went to him and pressed her lips against him. “I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I do NOT hate Gena. This was for the sake of the two-shot :)