Her Soul To Keep

chapter 4

“Ron”, Hermione breathed, “It's so beautiful!”

They were standing in the yard beside The Burrow, the night sky above them sprinkled with stars. The moon cast a silvery glow on them as Ron slipped his hand into hers and led her over to a small table in the middle of the yard.

There was two candles lit in the middle with a beautifully prepared meal, already placed upon fine china. The small shrubs surrounding them were draped gracefully in twinkling white lights, causing moths to dance around them busily. He pulled out the chair and waited for her to sit before taking his own seat across from her.

“You really do look beautiful, Sweetheart,” he smiled at her, his eyes full of the unmistakeable spark that only came with love.

Hermione blushed, and looked down at her lap. “Aw, Ron, you're too sweet. Thank you.”

“'Mione,” he whispered softly.

She looked up at him as the blush deepened in her cheeks. His blue eyes were intense and gleaming with happiness. He moved from his seat and came to stand in front of her, taking her hand in his.

“Ron, Wh-?”

He sank down onto one knee, his eyes never leaving hers.

“Hermione Jean Granger, I give you my heart, my soul, my very being, in the hopes that you will take this ring and be my bride. “

He pulled out a small box, covered in black velvet, and opened it, showing Hermione the spectacularly crafted diamond ring hidden in its depths.

Hermione stared at the ring as tears flowed down her cheeks. Ron looked slightly shocked at the sudden tears,

“Hermione, I-”

“Yes!” she choked out through her tears.

“Wh- What?” he asked, as if he hadn't heard her properly.

“Yes, Ron! Of course I'll marry you!"

Hermione stretched out her hand and watched as Ron slid the ring smoothly onto her finger. The metal was cool against her skin but she loved the way the diamond shone in the candlelight.

She stood up and pulled him up with her, wrapping her arms around his neck and enveloping him in a passionate kiss.

His lips were warm and sweet as they moved against hers, his hands traveling down to her waist and pulling her against him so that their bodies became one being. His thumbs traced her hipbones through her dress, causing a small moan of delight from Hermione. Her hands than began to snake their way through his untidy ginger hair, pulling at it hungrily.


With a loud cough, Hermione was jerk back to Malfoy's room. She had completely zoned out and and hadn't even noticed him walk in. She looked up at him fearfully,

“Master, I...”

He looked down at her, annoyed. “I gave you a simple damn task to do and you couldn't even complete it on time? What the hell were you doing? Snooping through my stuff?”

“No! Of course not!” she said, surprised. “Why would you think-”

“Then why aren't you finished?” he demanded angrily.

“ I... I was.. just think... thinking,” she stuttered, staring down at the floor.

“What thought was so important that it came before my orders?”

“It was...nothing, Master. I'm sorry. I swear it won't happen again,” she mumbled, now close to tears.

Malfoy grabbed her by the throat and forced her up so that his cold gray eyes could meet hers. He pulled out his wand and pointed directly it at her face.

“Legilimens!”

Hermione felt her mind being intruded before she had any time to prepare herself. Malfoy's room swam foggily before her as her thoughts of earlier were being pulled to the front of her mind. She felt her cheeks flush.

Oh no! Don't look at that! It's private!

Malfoy lowered his wand as the memory finished and threw Hermione away from him in disgust. She staggered a few steps but managed to stay standing, glaring at him furiously.

“What, Malfoy?! I didn't do anything wrong!”

His eyes gleamed maliciously. “So, how does it feel to know your filthy, blood traitor fiancé is dead, Granger? Do you cry yourself to sleep every night because you miss him?”

“Don't, Malfoy,” she muttered, keeping her eyes on the floor. She wasn't going to let him see her cry.

Malfoy strode over to her and grabbed her tear-streaked face in his hands, forcing it upward. “I asked you a question, Mudblood. Do you cry, knowing you'll never see his ugly face again?”

Anger boiled up inside her, and she did the only thing that came to mind. Angrily kicking him in the shin before sprinting out of his room as he hopped furiously on the spot, cursing at her disappearing figure.

She had no idea where she was going, but continued down the marble stairs and then down another long corridor, praying that she wouldn't run into any of the other Malfoys. The tears streaming down her cheeks made it hard to see where she was going.

She reached a solid wooden door and pushed it open tentatively, nervous to see what was concealed behind it. She breathed a sigh of relief as she saw that it was just a closet with cleaning supplies. Sliding in silently, she closed the door behind her and sank down to the floor, sobbing as quietly as she could manage.

After a what seemed like eternity, the flow of tears began to slow down and she leaned her head back against the door, closing her eyes tight. She knew she had to go back up to Malfoy's room; there was no way that she could hide here forever. Sighing, she went to stand but felt her hand touch something metal and cold. Picking it up, she pocketed it and climbed out of the closet.

As she made her way back up the stairs, she pulled it out of her pocket and studied the object - a silver file, rusted with age.

I could use this to pick the lock on my cage, then I could slip out of the house, and I'd be free! But where would I go? The Burrow? No, they surely wouldn't want to see me. Home maybe? If they are still alive.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts. She didn't want to think about that. She didn't want to get her hopes up.

As she neared his door, she slipped it back into her pocket, her heart racing. She wasn't sure how angry he was going to be with her, so prepared for the worst. She pushed his door open gently.

Malfoy was laying on his bed, reading a leather-bound book. He looked up as she walked in, but made no movement to get up. His face was expressionless.

Hermione walked slowly to the side of his bed and sank down to her knees. Her whole body was trembling with fear and she kept her eyes on her hands which shook in her lap.

“I am so sorry, Master. I was out of line and I deserve to be killed for what I did. I had no right to disrespect you and my actions are inexcusable. I apologize and will take any punishment you see fit to give me.”

Malfoy chuckled as he watched her tremble in fear beside him.

“Stand up.”

Hermione rose to her feet, chancing a look at his face. His cold eyes were glinting and a smirk was plastered on his face. She quickly ducked her head down again. She didn't like that look.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading guys, and so sorry for taking so long to update.
Comments welcome :)