Perfection

A Request

Tama walked around town, not sure where she would even find Aria. It's possible that she would be at the School, but Tama wasn't sure if she were allowed in. The School that Aria attended was set aside for the Gifted. Whether that meant Gifted in talent or wallet, she never knew. What she did know was that, if anything, Aria was talented with playing the lyre, so maybe the School wasn't completely crooked.

Deciding that the School was the only lead she had, she walked the twenty yards to the only place where she thought Aria could be. When the girl walked up to the tall fence of the School, she could actually feel the message it sent out to anyone who was Middle or Lower Class: "We don't want you here."

"Tama."

She knew that voice anywhere, but it wasn't as happy as it usually was. Tama peered between the wrought-iron posts to see Aria, setting cross-legged on the emerald green lawn with her lyre cradled in her arms. Her blond hair didn't have the same sheen it usually did. She looked like she didn't sleep at all the previous night.

"Hi. Aria." Tama paused between her words, under the impression that if she spoke too rapidly, she just might crush her friend.

Without wasting another second, Aria placed her instrument on the grass beside her and went up to the fence. Again, the two girls only had a fence and measurement of a few feet between them but they felt worlds apart. Things have changed. Tama thought. Or did I just realize the truth only last night? She didn't have any more time to wonder about this for Aria had unlocked the gate and stepped aside so her friend could enter. "Come in." she said lowly and defeated.

Leaving her lyre on the grass, Aria brought Tama inside the foreboding walls of the School. The floors of the castle-like School were made of golden-colored marble and the walls were cocoa, warmed by a large, welcoming fireplace off to the immediate left. Couches that looked comfortable enough to drift to sleep within seconds of sitting on them bid Tama to their comforts but Aria towed her in hand to the stairs. While walking up the slightly curving staircase, Tama saw other girls and boys all dressed nicely in bright colors with even nicer shoes. They were all smiling and carrying books.

Books. One thing Tama had always regretted not being able to do was read. People around her told her it's one of the most rewarding abilities. However, Tama had quit school to help her mother with her seamstress business. Now that she and Linda were leaving soon, she felt that quitting school was a waste and that she should have stayed. A least until she learned how to read.

"Come on." Aria said, leading her down a hallway. They had passed several doors before they had gotten to the last door on the right that stood near a large stained-glass window depicting a scene from one of the Celebrations of the past. Aria let go of Tama hesitantly, almost like she was afraid she'd run off, and unlocked the door with an old-looking key that was attached to a necklace that hung around her neck. When the door creaked as it opened, Aria pulled Tama inside and shut the door. In the darkness of the room, Tama could only see sunlight trickle in from a small window high up on the back wall.

"Why did you come here?" Aria asked. "You of all people should know that you'd get in trouble if they found you here."

"You'd be in even more trouble if-" Tama stopped herself. "I'm sorry." Tama could hear Aria moving around the room. You'd be in even more trouble if I told Them what we did. Tama thought out the rest of the sentence to herself. How could I be so-

"Come. Sit down." She heard Aria pat down a solid-sounding space, but Tama wasn't quite sure where she was.

"Don't you have a candle or something?" Tama asked, reaching her hands out to feel around.

"If I lit a candle, someone will think there are people in here." She said, lowering her voice to a whisper. "We can't let anyone know you're here."

Tama stumbled. Her hands felt Aria's and the other girl guided her to a seat on a bed.

"Why are you here?" Aria repeated her question.

"Aria, I have a secret. It's big. And I want you to be a part of it but if you don't want to, I understand. If you don't, all I'm asking you is to not tell anyone. I mean anyone. Okay?" Tama didn't bother to try and see if the girl understood. "Aria, my mother and I are leaving. Tonight."

"Leaving? You mean leaving Tay?"

"Yes. Will you come with us?"

The only sound in the room was Aria's soft breathing.

"Aria, please talk to me. Say something."

"I thought I made myself pretty clear last night. But you just pushed me away. Now you expect me to just run off with you?" Aria's voice, though quiet, was gaining an accusatory tone, something Tama had never heard from her. "Tama, it just doesn't make any sense."

"You're my only friend-"

"I don't want to be your friend, Tama!" Aria quickly quieted herself. "I never wanted to be your friend."

Now it was Tama's turn to be quiet. She wished to see what emotion Aria was displaying. "Not once?"

She heard the sheets on the bed wrinkle and swish slowly against each other. She guessed it to be from Aria shaking her head. "Not once."

A hot tear escaped Tama's eye. She didn't even know they were building up. I really am that bad. she thought.

"Tama." Aria said after a moment of silence. "Tama, I already knew I was, well, different from most of the people in town. Nobody knew about me, but no one wanted to be my friend. Except you, of course." Aria moved closer and she laughed a little. "I thought that someday, you and I would get married or something."

Tama felt hands on both sides of her face and her head being turned. "So, really, I didn't ever want to be your friend."

"But-"

"Stop." Aria said, kissing her lip. "Just stop talking." she said as she pulled her into an embrace. "For once in your life," she added with a tiny laugh as she kissed her again and again, "just don't say anything."

Tama leaned her head on Aria's shoulder and asked one more time. "Will you go with me?"

With one last kiss on her neck, Aria answered, "In a heartbeat."