Status: DONE!!!!!!!!!

Murtagh's New Story

Chapter 14: Thorn

The next day they trekked to the Elvin capital. It was only a few hours walk and Icenia spent much of the time quizzing him on the courtesy she had taught him. He must have picked up on her worry because he said nothing about what had transpired last night, but he was smiling. Although she had questions rattling around in her head there would be time for that later after he was safe. That meant getting past Queen Izlandzadí and her pack of court rats. They or course knew who and what he was and many would not be happy about it. There were at least two that cause trouble just to spite her. Icenia was not the most well loved elf in Ellesméra especially amongst the court. Her peculiar tendency to rebel and her frankness had made her many enemies. If they suspected more than friendship between her and Murtagh they might try to use that against them. His unfortunate parentage would be enough trouble as it was. Luckily the queen liked Icenia and was one of the few she chose to honor.
Her thoughts must have reminded Aquasari because when Icenia came out of her thoughts she found her explaining them to Murtagh.

He seems to understand your worries and the danger he’s in, her draconic friend tried to reassure her.

If we fail to gain the queen’s favor they will lock him up or worse kill him, Icenia stated.
I told him all of that.

At that moment Murtagh came up behind her and started rubbing her shoulders. It felt great.

“It is going to be fine. I am a Rider or I will be,” he said calmly.

She stopped dead in her tracks causing Murtagh to run into her.

“That’s it! Murtagh you are a genius!” she exclaimed.

“I know”, he said jokingly and grinning proudly. After a moment he asked,“ What have I done?”

Icenia chuckled as she dug through her bag. Her companions gave her curious looks.

“This”, she replied handing the red egg to Murtagh.

He hesitated before gently cradling it. It suddenly began squeaking and rocking. Murtagh looked alarmed as he set it carefully into a clump of tall grass. They crouched around the egg and watched.

A crack appeared on the top and went around it. More stared forming which lead to the top, giving it a spider’s web look. A piece began to move and fell away to reveal a small, scaly snout the same color as the egg. The rest of the wedged shaped head pushed free. Then the hatchling destroyed the rest of it’s casing, freeing itself. It looked at a fragment of the shell crossly then swatted it with its paw and sent it flying away.

Murtagh had a look of amazement and adoration on his handsome face. The two stared at each other for a moment then he reached out to touch it. As they connected there was a flash of light and Murtagh toppled over backwards. Aquasari’s head caught him before he fell and lowered him to the ground. The little dragon gave him a quizzical look and crawled up onto
him chest.

Murtagh awoke a few minutes later then looked down at his right palm where the gedwëy ignasia had already formed. Icenia looked at her own, she had shaped it one day to be a snow leopard paw print. Aquasari and Cigmun had found it amusing. The hatchling squeaked, nipping and clawing at his hand. Icenia was up and back with a bag of dried deer meat before he could say anything. By now Murtagh was sitting up with the baby in his lap.

“Your dragon needs food”, she informed him as she tossed him the bag.

As soon as he had caught it the dragonet smelled the meat and started squeaking excitedly, nipping and clawing his hands again.

“Ouch. Ouch. OUCH! You have thorns in place of teeth and talons little man”, he exclaimed.
Icenia and Aquasari laughed.

He is a feisty one. You will have your hands full with him, Aquasari said amused.
When Murtagh had finished feeding the dragonet he stood up still cradling his precious charge. They little dragon then climbed up and lay across his shoulders, his scaly tail snaked around his Rider’s neck for balance. They then set off again.

“I’ve thought of a name” Murtagh announced a while later. “I shall call you Thorn. What do you think of that?” he asked as he scratched under the dragonet’s chin.

Thorn made a rumbling, humming sound that was not unlike a cat’s purr. As he got older it would deepen into a hum like Aquasari’s.

“I like it”, Icenia chuckled.

It is most fitting, Aquasari mused.

“A thorn he shall be to all our enemies” Murtagh smiled.

Suddenly a breeze rustled the trees and carried a strange scent that was oddly familiar. She
had smelled it when the taken off from Urû baen.

We have caused the Winds of Fate to change coarse, Aquasari said cryptically.

They looked at her a little perplexed but continued walking.

That afternoon they neared Ellesméra. The trees were huge, about 70ft around and 200 feet tall. A figure appeared among them. He stood beside one of the behemoth trees and seemed to be only a child’s toy in comparison. As they neared Icenia could see the noble, old elf wore a silver circlet about his brow and long flowing robes. She knew that serene face, it made look harmless which was far for the truth.

As they walked up to him he smiled when he recognized her and Aquasari. They returned it.

He then looked to Murtagh and Thorn expectantly.

*”Let him see your palm” she said quietly to Murtagh.

He did as he was told. The old elf smiled peacefully and closed his eyes as he welcomed them by spreading his arms like a bird in flight.

“We may pass”, Icenia informed him as they walked past.

That was Gilderien the Wise, Prince of House Miolandra. He is wielder of the White Flame of Vándil and has been the guardian of Ellesméra since the days of Du Fyrn Skulblaka. No one enters the city unless he permits them, Aquasari explained. *

“He must be stronger than he look”, Murtagh mused.

“Do not let his looks fool or age fool you. He is more skilled in the arts of fighting than I and even more so in gramarye. In my youth I was foolish enough to challenge him to see for myself, it was good-naturedly of course. Needless to say he whipped my ass”, she chuckled.

“Wow”, Murtagh replied surprised.

“You should put your hood on until we reach the queen so others cannot see your rounded ears” she added.

He did so.

*A quarter of a mile passed and the forest changed. It thinned and blotches of sunlight poked through. As they passed beneath two burled trees that leaned against each other it opened in to an empty glade. It was filled with patches of flowers of every shape, size, and color. The air was thick with their aromas and the insects that they attracted. A slow stream gurgled into
rows of bushes to the right.

To a well-trained eye the houses formed by one or more twisted trees were easy to spot. Each one was unique and they blended seamlessly with nature. Icenia liked their style,
adapting themselves to nature instead of trying to master it.

Only a few elves came to see the four travelers. She was thankful for that. Brown green tunics clothed both genders. Their bright eyes stared. Some looked happy and waved at them. * There were others who did not look so friendly. They glared and stalked off. Icenia heard them grumbling. Cigmun wanted to let out a small, warning growl but Icenia would not let her. It would only harm his chances of being at least somewhat accepted. Because of his status as a Rider no one would harm his but she still kept her hand on Regaris’ pommel. Icenia led the procession, next was Murtagh and Thorn, Aquasari brought up the rear. Her head held high on her proudly arched neck. She looked very impressive, not that she didn’t always. They had almost reached the court and had not been harassed once.

This seems much too easy. You are a human and I am an outcast. Someone should have stopped us by now, Icenia said to her companions.

Maybe we shall be lucky this time and they will not trouble us, Aquasari suggested.
When are we that lucky for one thing? For another look who we bring, another human Rider. If they do not stop us I shall walk up to Rögním and Threk’dë and kiss them on each cheek and grovel at their feet!, Icenia said sarcastically.

Murtagh and Aquasari chuckled.

Just then a tall elf stepped in front of them.

Speak of the demon. I told you so, Icenia said bitterly.

Here we go again, Aquasari muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay Thorn hatched! He makes me laugh. The next few chapters will get pretty dramatic since they have to go through Izlandzadí and her court rats. So that will be interesting. I updated the character page an put some pictures for this story up on my gallery so go check those out. The * signs are areas where I had to kinda quote from Eldest because that was the only way write those parts. I didn't want to copyright or anything so I figured I should add that in there to be on the safe side.
Big thanks to all my readers and as always Werewolf.Lycan and autumnfreakshow for their much appreciated feedback! You guys are awesome!!! 8 subscribers! Like always I love reading everyone's comments. Everyone who does I put on my "immortal" list of amazing people at the end of the next chapter. Come on ya know ya wanna! Any who thanks for reading!
Ice Cat