Status: DONE!!!!!!!!!

Murtagh's New Story

Chapter 4: A Secret for a Secret

*Three weeks later*

“We need to land,” Icenia told Aquasari, “I need to check the map.”

“Ok, it won’t be much longer.”

“Where are we going?” Murtagh asked.

“You’ll see when we land,” Icenia replied.

Aquasari descended, aiming towards a sheltered clearing just big enough for her to land in the trees beside the river. She tucked her hind feet under her to land on as she back winged. There was only a little jolt as her back feet touched the ground and she went down on all fours.

Icenia and Murtagh got out of the saddle. She reached into her bag and pulled out the map of Alagaësia. Opening it, she spread it across the grass. It was early enough in the night that the dew had yet to coat the grass.

“We are here,” she said pointing to a spot on the map by the river.

“We should follow the river until we get to Bullridge,” Aquasari said to both of them. “There’s good hunting by the river and constant water.”

“After we leave the Ramr we can just go straight to the forest,” Icenia finished. Aquasari nodded. “Now that that’s settled, how are you two doing hunger-wise?”

“I need to hunt soon. We are far enough away to camp here. Besides, you two need rest.”

“That sounds good,” Murtagh said. Icenia nodded.

“In that case I’m going hunting. I’ll bring you back some food,” Aquasari said as she took off.

“So where are we going?” Murtagh asked turning to Icenia. She was putting the map back and taking off the bag.

“To my people. I need to check in with the queen and you need instructing. We’ve been wondering that way a little to get you use to us. It might be necessary for you to know someone before going into a new culture, much less one like this. I also needed to get to know your personality better for multiple reasons,” she replied. She built a fire pit, filled it with firewood and built a stack of extra wood. Then she lit a fire. A look of pain and bitterness crossed Murtagh’s face.

“I can’t go…I won’t go. They’ll never allow it. They’ll kill me or worse,” he said.

“Why? What’s wrong?” she asked in alarm. She sat down and leaned against a log by the fire and Murtagh sat beside her. “Is this what Tornac meant about your past?” Murtagh nodded.

“This is my biggest secret, my biggest scar,” he chuckled bitterly, “literally.”

“I don’t understand. What did you do?”

“I’ve never done anything wrong…other than existing.” Icenia cocked her head to the side. They were facing each other now, one arm resting on the log. Murtagh sighed. “I can’t believe I’m telling you this. Before I do, please remember that I’m the same person you’ve been traveling with. The only difference is now you know my secret.” Icenia nodded. He sighed again.

“This is what Tornac meant when he told you about my past. I…” He drew a ragged breath. “I am the child of the first and last Forsworn, the son of Morzan,” he said in a low, pained voice. Murtagh looked at her with sad, tortured ice blue eyes. She was stunned. The Forsworn had children? How had he survived this long? How had he not been corrupted?

He must have seen the shock on her face because he leapt up and pulled off his shirt, showing her his back.

“Look!” he pleaded in a tortured voice. She stood and looked. A knotted, white scar from his right shoulder to left hip stretched against his muscled and tanned skin.

“What happened?” she asked as he turned around. Icenia sat down and after a flash of surprise, so did Murtagh. Anguish was twisted across his face.

“When I was three, my father was in one of his many drunken rages. As I ran by, he threw his sword at me, laying open my back. There was a healer nearby who kept me from dieing. I swear I have no love for the Empire!” he cried in anguish. “Now I’m hated and ridiculed where ever I go,” he said bitterly.

“But it’s not your fault,” she said.

“I know, but everyone-wait! You don’t…” he stuttered in disbelief.

“Hate and mistrust you just because of who your father is? No, I don’t. He has obviously not corrupted you, so I see nothing wrong with you. You’ve just had a tough start, one you don’t deserve. But now you’re free and, after a bit of training, you can show Galbatorix who to really fear,” she said, looking deep into his eyes. Surprise was written across his face.

“I never tell anyone unless it’s absolutely necessary because they usually don’t take it well. But I didn’t have to tell you, or at least not now, and you listened and understood…” His voice was filled with amazement.

“I think it’s time we showed him the egg,” Aquasari said.

“As do I. He’s proven he can trust another,” Icenia said to her dragon. “I think it’s time I show you something. Aquasari and I wanted to make sure your past hasn’t made you unable to trust another with your life, if necessary. You’ve shown us that you can,” she said, grabbing the strap of her bag and dragging it to her.

“I already do.” His voice took on a kind and gentle tone that made her look up. Their eyes immediately connected, her breath caught in her throat and she became lost in his icy-blue eyes. He reached up and brushed a stray hair out of her face. How he even saw it, she couldn’t conceive; but then, she couldn’t conceive much of anything at that point.

His hand slipped around her neck, pulling her closer. Just as the tip of their top lips touched, there was a whoosh and a thump.

“I take it you got distracted before you even showed him,” Aquasari commented.

“Damn,” Murtagh whispered under his breath so only Icenia could hear. A mischievous smirk danced across his lips and in his eyes as he pulled away. Icenia chuckled and bit her lower lip in a flirty and slightly shy way. This made him smile her favorite, playful, mischievous, crooked smile. She felt he cheeks flushing a little.

He must have noticed because he spoke only in her mind, “Well I’ve learned a few things today. One is your favorite smile. Hmm, interesting. I’ll have to think on that,” he said playfully. She sighed.

Aquasari had two deer in he claws. One was for them and she was already starting on the other. Murtagh chuckled and walked over to the deer. He pulled out his knife and began cleaning it. Icenia threw another log on the fire. Going into the forest, she looked around for sticks to build a drying wrack for the deer meat. Her mind was a buzz with thoughts: the almost kiss, Murtagh’s father, what he had said.

She bent down to pick up her third stick when she heard the sharp crack of a snapping twig right behind her. Spinning around, her hand on Skulblaka, she was face to face with Murtagh. They were only s few inches apart. Icenia jumped a little.

“Did I startle you? That’s a little surprising seeing how you’re an elf. This means you were paying attention,” he grinned.

“You were following me. Why? I thought you were cleaning the deer,” she replied raising her eyebrow.

“Oh, I did. I just needed something to cook the meat on,” he said. Neither of them had moved and Icenia was very aware of how close they were. She didn’t say anything, just looked at him. He chuckled. Why did she freeze up like that? Why was she letting him get the advantage? She opened her mouth to reply, but forgot what she was going to say.

“Yes?” Murtagh asked.

“I forgot,” she closed her mouth.

He laughed quietly. Everything was quiet. Then he started slowly leaning towards her; he closed his eyes. He wasn’t going to get her that easily, she’d make him work for it. She silently ducked out of the way and slid around behind him. Reaching out with her hands, she tickled his waist.

He spun around. Seeing the mischief in his eyes, she “eeped” and ducked behind a tree. Murtagh tried to catch her, but was too slow. He chased her around that spot; she always danced just out of his reach. This made her laugh, which made him laugh.

After a while Murtagh stopped, panting and out of breath. He was still smiling. Icenia danced around behind him.

“Give up yet?” she asked. He whirled around and grabbed at her, but all he got was empty air.

“Not yet. I’m not the kind to give up so easy,” he panted.

“Well, that’s good, because I’m not that easy to catch,” she whispered. He snatched at her again and missed again.

“That’s good,” he chuckled, “because I like challenge.” Murtagh grabbed her wrist and pulled her into him. His arms were around her and hers were on his chest. They were very close now, looking at each other not having a clue what do next. An almost full moon was behind them.

“Look,” she said in a low voice, pointing to the moon. He turned and looked, not moving his arms.

“It’s almost full,” he said.

“By tomorrow night will be.” She looked at him again as he turned back to her. “I love full moons, they are so beautiful and mysterious,” she continued.

“Like you,” he said gently, his crooked smile and all. She blushed and looked down biting her lip. Icenia drew closer and he pulled her into a hug, her head resting on his chest.

Then, just to be a tease, she gave him a quick peck on the lips and pulled out of his arms. Surprise on his face, Murtagh smiled. Then he had a mischievous look on his face. He must have thought of some kind of plan. They gathered the sticks and walked back to camp together.

“So what was this important thing you were going to show me?” Murtagh asked after dinner.

“Oh, that!” Icenia said. She grabbed her bag and drug it back to where she was sitting, next to Murtagh of course. Reaching in, she pulled out the egg. It looked like a huge, oval ruby glittering in the firelight.

“Do you know what this is?” she asked, holding it out to him.

“Yes.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, it’s a dragon egg,” he said in awe, cautiously taking it.

“I’ve never seen a real one, only pictures. This was one reason you were in Urûbaen, wasn’t it?” She nodded. Murtagh looked at it, mesmerized. Just then, it started squeaking and rocking, stopping a second later. Surprised and astonished, Murtagh looked at Icenia, then Aquasari.

“The days-to-come seer was tight. He did choose you!” Aquasari exclaimed in their minds.

“What?” he asked in shock.

“One of the elves that devote themselves to the difficult and mysterious studies of seeing the future saw you riding a red dragon,” Icenia said. “That’s how we first learned of you. The baby dragon in that egg chose you to be its…”

“His.” Aquasari corrected.

“His rider.”

“He won’t hatch until we get back to make it easier and safer for us.”

“So I’m a… rider?” he asked in astonishment.

“Aye,” Icenia smiled. “Welcome to the club, Kid.” She slapped him warmly on the shoulder.

“Just like my father,” he said quietly.

“Not exactly,” Aquasari said. “You’ve learned from his mistakes and, besides, you won’t betray us anyway.”

“I won’t let you,” finished Icenia, looking deep into his eyes. Murtagh smiled warmly and hugged her. He handed her the egg and she put it back in the bag. A chill-filled breeze blew into the clearing, making Icenia shiver a bit.

“I think it’s time we pull out the sleeping blankets and retire for the night,” Icenia said. Aquasari nodded and yawned.

“Um…” Murtagh began, but Icenia interrupted.

“I know you don’t have any blankets. Mine are big enough for the both of us, as long as you don’t try anything funny,” she added raising a slanted eyebrow.

“I won’t,” he laughed.

Icenia took them out of the saddle bags and spread them on the ground by Aquasari, who had turned to let them sleep by her warm belly. They crawled in, Murtagh keeping to one side of them.

“Come here. We need to share body heat,” she whispered, faintly annoyed. He cautiously drew closer. Icenia sighed and put her arm around him and drew him even closer. “Come on, I thought you’d enjoy this,” she teased, speaking to him in his mind. “Being so close and in my bed no less.” He had been courteously holding back, then he surprised her by pulling in to her.

Both of them were facing Aquasari; he held her pressed up against him. She could feel his breath in her hair; his arm snaked to her waist, plastering her against his warm, strong body; like lovers.

“Is this close enough?” he whispered in her ear.

She placed her hand in his and wound her fingers with his. Icenia had no idea how she’d managed to trance like this, so close to him, but she did, under a tent made by Aquasari’s great, blue wing.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this chapter, it makes me laugh.
Comments? Subscriptions